Vista Doesn't Play Music

CrazyEights

Vista Doesn't Play Music

Hi everyone, I just got a new laptop with vista preloaded on to it a few
days ago, and I was tinkering with some settings on winamp. About a few
minutes in to it, all mp3 sounds stopped playing from my speakers. I
tried going back through the settings to fix it but none worked. I also
have tried uninstalling winamp, reinstalling it, and using a different
media player (VLC), but all of these things have had the same results.
Also, when I load up a video (format was mpg), the video played fine
but there was no audio.

All other sounds such as instant messaging noises, sound effects from
windows, etc still work fine from my laptop's speakers. When I used the
x-fi sound card in the express slot and plugged headphones in to it, the
mp3 worked fine. I've tried messing around with the speaker's sound
settings, but the error "format not supported" always comes up. Does
anyone have a solution to this problem?

--
CrazyEights
CrazyEights's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=51012

http://forums.techarena.in

falconguard

Re: Vista Doesn't Play Music

I had this problem, just recently. What worked for me after days of
tinkering was to run the application you want, Switch to desktop view
and click on the volume icon and then the mixer option. I found that
the applications sound was set to 0 but all other sliders were ok. Just
reset the application slider and boom! instant sound.

--
falconguard
CrazyEights

Re: Vista Doesn't Play Music

falconguard;3785254 Wrote:
> I had this problem, just recently. What worked for me after days of
> tinkering was to run the application you want, Switch to desktop view
> and click on the volume icon and then the mixer option. I found that
> the applications sound was set to 0 but all other sliders were ok.
> Just
> reset the application slider and boom! instant sound.
>

> --
> falconguard

The slider for the application is at the same level as everything else.
Also, other applications which also play mp3s don't work.