Temporary Internet Files

Avery Tom Deacon Harry

Temporary Internet Files
Using Windows98 when surfing, one did not have to save every picture (a
sometimes laborious process), as they could be easily recovered from the
Temporary Internet Files folder. One just searched the T'I'F' Folder for
jpg's of a certain approximate size and date/time (and name), and then
copy/pasted them into wherever.
Also, saving individual pictures whan surfing was easier as a "save" icon
appeared at the top left corner of the picture when the mouse pointer passed
over it.
How do I use these facilities in Vista?
On Request

Re: Temporary Internet Files
You might get a useful answer at the IE newsgroup:

"Avery Tom Deacon Harry" <AveryTomDeaconHarry@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message newsE0FCD53-0DE8-4A95-8750-57E5F0E4BBBC@microsoft.com...
> Using Windows98 when surfing, one did not have to save every picture (a
> sometimes laborious process), as they could be easily recovered from the
> Temporary Internet Files folder. One just searched the T'I'F' Folder for
> jpg's of a certain approximate size and date/time (and name), and then
> copy/pasted them into wherever.
> Also, saving individual pictures whan surfing was easier as a "save" icon
> appeared at the top left corner of the picture when the mouse pointer
> passed
> over it.
> How do I use these facilities in Vista?

Brink

Avery Tom Deacon Harry;732739 Wrote:
> Using Windows98 when surfing, one did not have to save every picture (a
> sometimes laborious process), as they could be easily recovered from
> the
> Temporary Internet Files folder. One just searched the T'I'F' Folder
> for
> jpg's of a certain approximate size and date/time (and name), and then
> copy/pasted them into wherever.
> Also, saving individual pictures whan surfing was easier as a "save"
> icon
> appeared at the top left corner of the picture when the mouse pointer
> passed
> over it.
> How do I use these facilities in Vista?

Hi Avery,

Step 6 in this tutorial will show you how to view these image files to
save from.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/94...-settings.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Avery Tom Deacon Harry

Re: Temporary Internet Files
I do not want to have to wade through ALL the files in the Temp Int Files
folder in order to get the ones I want. Is there a way I can use a search
facility to automatically examine the T.I.F. folder, so the pc can extract
the ones which are relevant. For instance, if I remember seeing a picture on
a web page at a certain approximate time on a certain day then I SHOULD
logically be able to use Search to pick out all the jpg's made at about that
time and select the ones I want from the few listed. However, if I have to
examine the entire folder, then I will not only be looking through that small
number of jpgs but I will be trying to sort through a load of other stuff as
well.
This is definitely not satisfactory. This is worse if I have to revisit all
the web pages looked at in that day,

"Brink" wrote:

> Avery Tom Deacon Harry;732739 Wrote:
> > Using Windows98 when surfing, one did not have to save every picture (a
> > sometimes laborious process), as they could be easily recovered from
> > the
> > Temporary Internet Files folder. One just searched the T'I'F' Folder
> > for
> > jpg's of a certain approximate size and date/time (and name), and then
> > copy/pasted them into wherever.
> > Also, saving individual pictures whan surfing was easier as a "save"
> > icon
> > appeared at the top left corner of the picture when the mouse pointer
> > passed
> > over it.
> > How do I use these facilities in Vista?

> Hi Avery,
>
> Step 6 in this tutorial will show you how to view these image files to
> save from.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/94...-settings.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)

John Inzer

Avery Tom Deacon Harry wrote:
> I do not want to have to wade through ALL the files in the Temp Int
> Files folder in order to get the ones I want. Is there a way I can
> use a search facility to automatically examine the T.I.F. folder, so
> the pc can extract the ones which are relevant. For instance, if I
> remember seeing a picture on a web page at a certain approximate time
> on a certain day then I SHOULD logically be able to use Search to
> pick out all the jpg's made at about that time and select the ones I
> want from the few listed. However, if I have to examine the entire
> folder, then I will not only be looking through that small number of
> jpgs but I will be trying to sort through a load of other stuff as
> well.
> This is definitely not satisfactory. This is worse if I have to
> revisit all the web pages looked at in that day,

=====================================
Maybe the following article will offer some ideas:

Windows Vista -
http://tinyurl.com/37pquf
or...
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...echniques.aspx

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Brink

Avery Tom Deacon Harry;737011 Wrote:
> I do not want to have to wade through ALL the files in the Temp Int
> Files
> folder in order to get the ones I want. Is there a way I can use a
> search
> facility to automatically examine the T.I.F. folder, so the pc can
> extract
> the ones which are relevant. For instance, if I remember seeing a
> picture on
> a web page at a certain approximate time on a certain day then I SHOULD
> logically be able to use Search to pick out all the jpg's made at about
> that
> time and select the ones I want from the few listed. However, if I have
> examine the entire folder, then I will not only be looking through that
> small
> number of jpgs but I will be trying to sort through a load of other
> stuff as
> well.
> This is definitely not satisfactory. This is worse if I have to revisit
> all
> the web pages looked at in that day,

> > > picture (a
> > > from
> > > Folder
> > > then
> > > "save"
> > > pointer
> > >
> > > Hi Avery,
> > >
> > > Step 6 in this tutorial will show you how to view these image

> > files to
> > > save from.
> > >

> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/94...-settings.html
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > them.*
> > > '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

You would be referring to Advanced Search. This tutorial will help show
you how to use it, but I do not think it will find items in the TIF
folder even with the non-indexed box checked.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/75...ed-search.html

If not, you can use the standard Search in the upper right corner of
the TIF folder window to help narrow down the search.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Avery Tom Deacon Harry

Re: Temporary Internet Files
You say "use the standard Search in the upper right corner of the TIF folder
window to help narrow down the search".
I've tried that and it doesn't find pictures I know should be there.
This implies either that some T.I.F. files are not stored in the T.I.F.
folder (which is ridiculous) or that they are stored "embedded" in one file
containing the entire web page (which is possible I suppose, but still
ridiculous).
In the latter case I would need a program to "break into" the web page file
to extract the pics (which again is ridiculous)

Avery Tom Deacon Harry;738223 Wrote:
> You say "use the standard Search in the upper right corner of the TIF
> folder
> window to help narrow down the search".
> I've tried that and it doesn't find pictures I know should be there.
> This implies either that some T.I.F. files are not stored in the T.I.F.
> folder (which is ridiculous) or that they are stored "embedded" in one
> file
> containing the entire web page (which is possible I suppose, but still
> ridiculous).
> In the latter case I would need a program to "break into" the web page
> file
> to extract the pics (which again is ridiculous)

> > > SHOULD
> > > about
> > > have
> > > that
> > > revisit

> > > You would be referring to Advanced Search. This tutorial will

> > help show
> > > you how to use it, but I do not think it will find items in the

> > TIF
> > > folder even with the non-indexed box checked.
> > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/75...ed-search.html
> > >
> > > If not, you can use the standard Search in the upper right corner

> > of
> > > the TIF folder window to help narrow down the search.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > them.*
> > > '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

I agree. I always found it easier to just save the images as you go to
save time trying to find them later. I just used the
"C:\Users\(username)\Pictures" folder to save to as a default.

Wish I knew a better way for you.

Sorry,
Shawn