Memory leak - MPEG-2 thumbnails - VMGShellThumbnailGenerator

Harms

Memory leak - MPEG-2 thumbnails - VMGShellThumbnailGenerator
When using any icons view in explorer.exe with a folder containing MPEG-2
video clips, and/or having the details pane switched on for such folder,
explorer.exe eventually uses up all available memory until windows fail to
redraw. Restarting explorer.exe or the computer temporarily fixes this
problem until all memory is used up again.

The problem can be reproduced with folders containing MPEG-2 clips. Other
file types do not seem to trigger this behaviour.

The process running on explorer.exe while memory usage jumps up is the
following:

RunDLL32.exe "C:\Program Files\Movie
Maker\wmm2clip.dll",VMGShellThumbnailGenerator "{FileName}.mpg" 256 256 0

Is there a known fix or workaround?
Curious

Re: Memory leak - MPEG-2 thumbnails - VMGShellThumbnailGenerator
Are you running the RTM or SP1 release of which version of Vista?
"Harms" <Harms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When using any icons view in explorer.exe with a folder containing MPEG-2
> video clips, and/or having the details pane switched on for such folder,
> explorer.exe eventually uses up all available memory until windows fail to
> redraw. Restarting explorer.exe or the computer temporarily fixes this
> problem until all memory is used up again.
>
> The problem can be reproduced with folders containing MPEG-2 clips. Other
> file types do not seem to trigger this behaviour.
>
> The process running on explorer.exe while memory usage jumps up is the
> following:
>
> RunDLL32.exe "C:\Program Files\Movie
> Maker\wmm2clip.dll",VMGShellThumbnailGenerator "{FileName}.mpg" 256 256 0
>
> Is there a known fix or workaround?

Curious

Re: Memory leak - MPEG-2 thumbnails - VMGShellThumbnailGenerator
Also how much virtual memory do you have assigned for paging?
"Harms" <Harms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When using any icons view in explorer.exe with a folder containing MPEG-2
> video clips, and/or having the details pane switched on for such folder,
> explorer.exe eventually uses up all available memory until windows fail to
> redraw. Restarting explorer.exe or the computer temporarily fixes this
> problem until all memory is used up again.
>
> The problem can be reproduced with folders containing MPEG-2 clips. Other
> file types do not seem to trigger this behaviour.
>
> The process running on explorer.exe while memory usage jumps up is the
> following:
>
> RunDLL32.exe "C:\Program Files\Movie
> Maker\wmm2clip.dll",VMGShellThumbnailGenerator "{FileName}.mpg" 256 256 0
>
> Is there a known fix or workaround?

Harms

Re: Memory leak - MPEG-2 thumbnails - VMGShellThumbnailGenerator
Vista Business SP1, 4GB RAM, sytem managed page file size.

"Curious" wrote:

> Are you running the RTM or SP1 release of which version of Vista?
> "Harms" <Harms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When using any icons view in explorer.exe with a folder containing MPEG-2
> > video clips, and/or having the details pane switched on for such folder,
> > explorer.exe eventually uses up all available memory until windows fail to
> > redraw. Restarting explorer.exe or the computer temporarily fixes this
> > problem until all memory is used up again.
> >
> > The problem can be reproduced with folders containing MPEG-2 clips. Other
> > file types do not seem to trigger this behaviour.
> >
> > The process running on explorer.exe while memory usage jumps up is the
> > following:
> >
> > RunDLL32.exe "C:\Program Files\Movie
> > Maker\wmm2clip.dll",VMGShellThumbnailGenerator "{FileName}.mpg" 256 256 0
> >
> > Is there a known fix or workaround?

Curious

Re: Memory leak - MPEG-2 thumbnails - VMGShellThumbnailGenerator
If you are running 323bit Vista business you might try downgrading to 2GB of
Ram. Many users have had different problems with 4GB Vista 32 bit systems.