Vista OS : DVD's won't play

teachin4change

Vista OS : DVD's won't play
I am running Vista Home Premium on a Gateway computer. Every time I put a
DVD into the DVD drive and attempt to play it using Windows Media Player I
get a message that reads:

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try
installing an updated driver for your video card.

I have visited both the microsoft and gateway websites and attempted to
download any and all updates available but still can't get my laptop to play
DVD's. Any suggestions???? THANKS in advance for any feedback!
fuzor_silverbolt

Re: Vista OS : DVD's won't play

DVD codecs are not included in windows. You need to purchase a DVD
playing software such as intervideo windvd or powerdvd. Both will
provide a more DVD centric player than windows media player and will
also provide the codecs that windows media player needs to play DVD
movies.

--
fuzor_silverbolt

Sound Card: SigmaTel High Definition Audio
Operating System: Windows XP™ Pro 32bit
John Inzer

Re: Vista OS : DVD's won't play
teachin4change wrote:
> I am running Vista Home Premium on a Gateway computer. Every time I
> put a DVD into the DVD drive and attempt to play it using Windows
> Media Player I get a message that reads:
>
> Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem
> with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and
> video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.
>
> I have visited both the microsoft and gateway websites and attempted
> to download any and all updates available but still can't get my
> laptop to play DVD's. Any suggestions???? THANKS in advance for any
> feedback!

===========================
Might be worth a try to download
and install the following free player:

VLC media player
http://www.videolan.org/

The following articles will be useful also.

How to Fix VLC Media Player in Vista
http://tinyurl.com/5lzmm8
or...
http://tech-buzz.net/2007/05/21/how-...ayer-in-vista/

VideoLAN -
Using VLC Player Under Vista
http://tinyurl.com/2r6rrh
or...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...r-under-vista/
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

dbknox

Re: Vista OS : DVD's won't play

> fuzor_silverbolt says
> DVD codecs are not included in windows. You need to purchase a DVD
> playing software such as intervideo windvd or powerdvd. Both will
> provide a more DVD centric player than windows media player and will
> also provide the codecs that windows media player needs to play DVD
> movies.

I have Vista Home premuim and it plays DVD movies just fine, it seems
that wmp on vista home premuim works for some people and not others. I
read on another forum where someone tried the *trail *of "anydvd" which
takes out the protection. Then uninstalled it and they had no further
problems.
Worth a try.

--
dbknox