Mswmm files more help please

Allen Hull

Mswmm files more help please
I have seen the replies about MSWMM files and understand that I have to
change the file extension to something like .WMV. But how do I do this? I
have tried various things but none seem to work. The tinyurl references
published in other answers don't help, and the Microsoft reference is utterly
useless. Why do I get an .MSWMM ext. anyway? SHouldn't Vista automatically
supply a useable file extension, or is it something to do with a
pre-installed program in my Sony Vaio laptop??? Grateful for advice.
John Inzer

Re: Mswmm files more help please
Allen Hull wrote:
> I have seen the replies about MSWMM files and understand that I have
> to change the file extension to something like .WMV. But how do I do
> this? I have tried various things but none seem to work. The tinyurl
> references published in other answers don't help, and the Microsoft
> reference is utterly useless. Why do I get an .MSWMM ext. anyway?
> SHouldn't Vista automatically supply a useable file extension, or is
> it something to do with a pre-installed program in my Sony Vaio
> laptop??? Grateful for advice.

======================================
The .mswmm file is your Movie Maker 'project' file.
The purpose of this format is to retain the individual
elements of the project so future editing is possible.

To produce a completed Video version of your project...
read the following info on Publishing.

Windows Vista -
Publish a movie in
Windows Movie Maker
http://tinyurl.com/2lo4gp
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...8cdf21033.mspx

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

AllenH

Re: Mswmm files more help please
Thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to test out the solution, because I
hav struck another problem. When I click on "Publish Movie" or "Tools >
Options" the boxes that open are bigger than the screen, and I can't rech the
bottom to click on "Next" or whatever the next instruction is. The Movie
Maker screen is fine and fits perfectly. So when I get to the box headed
"Name of the movie you are publishing" I can fill in the file name and CD
name, but can't move to bottom of the screen to click on the next action.
Same thing happens when i open tools. I've never had this problem before.
Any further advice you can give?
--
Now enjoying Vista after 8 months of frustration!

AllenH wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to test out the solution,
> because I hav struck another problem. When I click on "Publish Movie"
> or "Tools > Options" the boxes that open are bigger than the screen,
> and I can't rech the bottom to click on "Next" or whatever the next
> instruction is. The Movie Maker screen is fine and fits perfectly.
> So when I get to the box headed "Name of the movie you are
> publishing" I can fill in the file name and CD name, but can't move
> to bottom of the screen to click on the next action. Same thing
> happens when i open tools. I've never had this problem before. Any
> further advice you can give?

===============================
Here's something you can try...

Open 'one' of the windows that are too large...
(no other windows just that 'one')...

Now...Right Click your Windows Task Bar
and choose...Tile Windows Horizontally...

Hopefully this will force the open window to
fill your monitor screen.

If that does not work...maybe you can find
the edge of the Large window and drag it to
a smaller size.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

AllenH

Re: Mswmm files more help please
Thanks for the reply, John, but that didn't work either. I have to open Movie
maker to open Tools or Publish Movie. Having done this, when I right click on
the task bar I get the following options:
Cascade Windows
Show Windows Stacked
Show Windows Side by Side

I've clicked on all of them, but the bottom of the open Window is never in
view. I can pull the whole Window down , but not up, and none of the edges
can be dragged. I'm reluctant to fiddle with the display resolution (oe
whatever it is) because the rest of the time the Windows work perfectly. But
might that be a solution?

ALlen

--

"John Inzer" wrote:

> AllenH wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to test out the solution,
> > because I hav struck another problem. When I click on "Publish Movie"
> > or "Tools > Options" the boxes that open are bigger than the screen,
> > and I can't rech the bottom to click on "Next" or whatever the next
> > instruction is. The Movie Maker screen is fine and fits perfectly.
> > So when I get to the box headed "Name of the movie you are
> > publishing" I can fill in the file name and CD name, but can't move
> > to bottom of the screen to click on the next action. Same thing
> > happens when i open tools. I've never had this problem before. Any
> > further advice you can give?

> ===============================
> Here's something you can try...
>
> Open 'one' of the windows that are too large...
> (no other windows just that 'one')...
>
> Now...Right Click your Windows Task Bar
> and choose...Tile Windows Horizontally...
>
> Hopefully this will force the open window to
> fill your monitor screen.
>
> If that does not work...maybe you can find
> the edge of the Large window and drag it to
> a smaller size.
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

AllenH

AllenH wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, John, but that didn't work either. I have to
> open Movie maker to open Tools or Publish Movie. Having done this,
> when I right click on the task bar I get the following options:
> Cascade Windows
> Show Windows Stacked
> Show Windows Side by Side
>

> I've clicked on all of them, but the bottom of the open Window is
> never in view. I can pull the whole Window down , but not up, and
> none of the edges can be dragged. I'm reluctant to fiddle with the
> display resolution (oe whatever it is) because the rest of the time
> the Windows work perfectly. But might that be a solution?
>
> ALlen

=============================
Sorry...but I cannot think of a solution.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

AllenH

Re: Mswmm files more help please
While I still can't see the bottom of the screen, the solution should have
been obvious to me, I suppose. It suddenly occurred to me to press <ENTER>,
and of course it worked> I'll now battle with the MSWMM file and see if I
can change the extension. Hasn't worked to date though.

Allen
--

"John Inzer" wrote:

> AllenH wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply, John, but that didn't work either. I have to
> > open Movie maker to open Tools or Publish Movie. Having done this,
> > when I right click on the task bar I get the following options:
> > Cascade Windows
> > Show Windows Stacked
> > Show Windows Side by Side
> >

> > I've clicked on all of them, but the bottom of the open Window is
> > never in view. I can pull the whole Window down , but not up, and
> > none of the edges can be dragged. I'm reluctant to fiddle with the
> > display resolution (oe whatever it is) because the rest of the time
> > the Windows work perfectly. But might that be a solution?
> >
> > ALlen

> =============================
> Sorry...but I cannot think of a solution.
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Trying my best

Re: Mswmm files more help please

At the risk of stating the obvious - have you tried to save your movie
as an wmv file in Moviemaker? The way I do it is save the "project"
while still working on it (as mswmm). When the film is done, use "save
movie" file from the File menu, and save to the computer. The movie is
then saved as a wmv file, not mswmm, and can be transferred where you
want for playback.

Best wishes

--
Trying my best
Trying my best's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50816

http://forums.techarena.in

dbknox

Re: Mswmm files more help please

> I've clicked on all of them, but the bottom of the open Window is never
> in
> view. I can pull the whole Window down , but not up, and none of the
> edges
> can be dragged. I'm reluctant to fiddle with the display resolution
> (oe
> whatever it is) because the rest of the time the Windows work
> perfectly. But
> might that be a solution?

To solve this try hitting the minimize/maximaize button at the top
right of the window. The one in the middle, then when the page becomes
smaller grab the edges with your mouse and pull them to fit the screen.
Now while holding down the "CTRL" button, close the page, this forces
windows to remember the size you want for that particular page. ( I have
not run into this with Vista yet, but I tried it and this trick still
works for Vista as well as 98 and XP.) Hope it works for you.

--
dbknox