Win DVD Maker: Dimenished Picture Quality of DVD

Carch

Win DVD Maker: Dimenished Picture Quality of DVD
I have successfully burnt slide shows with background audio on DVD using
Windows DVD Maker in Vista Home Premium. The previews in DVD Maker look
great with good contrast, color saturation, and image resolution, but all of
these aspects are dimenished in quality when viewing the finished DVD in
either a player on TV or on the PC in Media Player. There is some
improvement from those vehicles when the finished DVD is viewed in Media
Center on the PC. The still images are in highest quality JPEG and audio
files are .wav burnt at highest speed on high quality disks.
Is this degradation in picture quality associated with DVD Maker or
would the same result be expected in a different product, such as Roxio or
Adobe? I have already read the FAQ's and other posts and would appreciate
assistance.
Carch
John Inzer

Re: Win DVD Maker: Dimenished Picture Quality of DVD
Carch wrote:
> I have successfully burnt slide shows with background audio on DVD
> using Windows DVD Maker in Vista Home Premium. The previews in DVD
> Maker look great with good contrast, color saturation, and image
> resolution, but all of these aspects are dimenished in quality when
> viewing the finished DVD in either a player on TV or on the PC in
> Media Player. There is some improvement from those vehicles when the
> finished DVD is viewed in Media Center on the PC. The still images
> are in highest quality JPEG and audio files are .wav burnt at highest
> speed on high quality disks. Is this degradation in picture
> quality associated with DVD Maker or
> would the same result be expected in a different product, such as
> Roxio or Adobe? I have already read the FAQ's and other posts and
> would appreciate assistance.
> Carch

Maybe a using Custom Profile would be worth looking into:

Movie Maker 2 - Saving
Movies - Custom WMV Profiles
http://tinyurl.com/s2vgu
or...
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-SavingMo...mProfiles.html

Movie Maker in Vista -
Publishing / Quality Profiles
http://www.papajohn.org/Vista-Publishing.html

Windows Vista
Create custom movie settings
for Windows Movie Maker
http://tinyurl.com/2fo9b9
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...225b51033.mspx

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Carch

RE: Win DVD Maker: Dimenished Picture Quality of DVD
PJ, You are MOST CERTAINLY A MVP !
Thank you for your guidance, for I have finally produced an acceptable DVD
for my family's pictures' restoration, quite an improvement from my previous
attempts. Creating a Custom Profile in Movie Maker, producing the file in
Movie Maker, then using DVD Maker to produce the DVD was the successful
route. The DVD looks best when viewed on my PC's monitor using Sonic, with
Media Player and Media Center about equal to each other, but neither as good
as with the Sonic. Playback with my DVD player on TV is better than previous
versions, but not very good, probably a reflection, if not wholly, at least
in part, of the difference in quality and generation of components.
Thank you again for your tremendous, positive, contributions that benefit so
many.
Carch

Carch wrote:
> PJ, You are MOST CERTAINLY A MVP !
> Thank you for your guidance, for I have finally produced an
> acceptable DVD for my family's pictures' restoration, quite an
> improvement from my previous attempts. Creating a Custom Profile in
> Movie Maker, producing the file in Movie Maker, then using DVD Maker
> to produce the DVD was the successful route. The DVD looks best when
> viewed on my PC's monitor using Sonic, with Media Player and Media
> Center about equal to each other, but neither as good as with the
> Sonic. Playback with my DVD player on TV is better than previous
> versions, but not very good, probably a reflection, if not wholly, at
> least in part, of the difference in quality and generation of
> components.
> Thank you again for your tremendous, positive, contributions that
> benefit so many.
> Carch

===========================
You're welcome and thanks for
the generous compliments.

Apparently you are scanning old
family photos? If they do not look
at least as good or better than the
originals when viewed on your TV...
I would wonder if increasing the
resolution (DPI) when you scan
might improve the situation.

There's lots of good info on scanning
at the following site:

A Few Scanning Tips
http://www.scantips.com/

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

PapaJohn

Re: Win DVD Maker: Dimenished Picture Quality of DVD
Carch, thanks from this corner too...

PapaJohn (MVP)