How do I copy a DVD?

DMD guy

How do I copy a DVD?
I would like to start doing video, on my computer, and I know nothing about it.
Right now, what I am trying is to copy an old (8mm film - no sound) home
movie that is on a DVD -- to my hard drive -- then burn it onto a blank DVD
so that I can have a 2nd copy. I am asking for step by step help as to how
to do this. What I've tried on my own hasn't worked. I have a vista laptop
about 6 months old, 2GB ram, Duo core. Thank you for your help.
Larry
--
ldl
John Inzer

Re: How do I copy a DVD?
DMD guy wrote:
> I would like to start doing video, on my computer, and I know nothing
> about it. Right now, what I am trying is to copy an old (8mm film -
> no sound) home movie that is on a DVD -- to my hard drive -- then
> burn it onto a blank DVD so that I can have a 2nd copy. I am asking
> for step by step help as to how to do this. What I've tried on my
> own hasn't worked. I have a vista laptop about 6 months old, 2GB
> ram, Duo core. Thank you for your help.
> Larry

============================
Maybe ImgBurn would be worth a try...
it can make an image of the original
and then burn the image onto another
DVD blank.

ImgBurn
http://www.imgburn.com/

Download at following link

ImgBurn
http://tinyurl.com/yjgdu5
or...
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...n/1128426215/1

Good luck...

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

gomer

Re: How do I copy a DVD?

"DMD guy" <DMDguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to start doing video, on my computer, and I know nothing about
>it.
> Right now, what I am trying is to copy an old (8mm film - no sound) home
> movie that is on a DVD -- to my hard drive -- then burn it onto a blank
> DVD
> so that I can have a 2nd copy. I am asking for step by step help as to
> how
> to do this. What I've tried on my own hasn't worked. I have a vista
> laptop
> about 6 months old, 2GB ram, Duo core. Thank you for your help.
> Larry
> --
> ldl

Try www.videohelp.com. Great lessons and great forums.

gomer

DMD guy

Re: How do I copy a DVD?
John: Thanks for your reply. I assumed the computer has the capibility of doing
this procedure, but apparently you are suggesting that additional software is
needed? Larry
--
ldl

"John Inzer" wrote:

> DMD guy wrote:
> > I would like to start doing video, on my computer, and I know nothing
> > about it. Right now, what I am trying is to copy an old (8mm film -
> > no sound) home movie that is on a DVD -- to my hard drive -- then
> > burn it onto a blank DVD so that I can have a 2nd copy. I am asking
> > for step by step help as to how to do this. What I've tried on my
> > own hasn't worked. I have a vista laptop about 6 months old, 2GB
> > ram, Duo core. Thank you for your help.
> > Larry

> ============================
> Maybe ImgBurn would be worth a try...
> it can make an image of the original
> and then burn the image onto another
> DVD blank.
>
> ImgBurn
> http://www.imgburn.com/
>
> Download at following link
>
> ImgBurn
> http://tinyurl.com/yjgdu5
> or...
> http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...n/1128426215/1
>
> Good luck...
>

> --
>
> John Inzer
> Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

DMD guy

Re: How do I copy a DVD?
Gomer: Thanks, I'll take a look
Larry
--
ldl

"gomer" wrote:

> "DMD guy" <DMDguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to start doing video, on my computer, and I know nothing about
> >it.
> > Right now, what I am trying is to copy an old (8mm film - no sound) home
> > movie that is on a DVD -- to my hard drive -- then burn it onto a blank
> > DVD
> > so that I can have a 2nd copy. I am asking for step by step help as to
> > how
> > to do this. What I've tried on my own hasn't worked. I have a vista
> > laptop
> > about 6 months old, 2GB ram, Duo core. Thank you for your help.
> > Larry
> > --
> > ldl

> Try www.videohelp.com. Great lessons and great forums.
>
> gomer

John Inzer

Re: How do I copy a DVD?
DMD guy wrote:
> John: Thanks for your reply. I assumed the computer has the
> capibility of doing this procedure, but apparently you are suggesting
> that additional software is needed? Larry

Yes, for copying DVDs you need additional software.

If you prefer not to install additional software...maybe
the following collection of articles will offer some ideas
you can use.

Windows Vista - Copying
And Burning CDs and DVDs
http://tinyurl.com/2bd8t5
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...538e11033.mspx

Windows Vista
Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Media Center
http://tinyurl.com/2bnndx
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...289e01033.mspx

Windows Vista -
Burn pictures and movies to DVD-Video
disc using Windows DVD Maker
http://tinyurl.com/3xtcfs
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...a60261033.mspx

Windows Vista -
Demo: Make a DVD-Video disc
http://tinyurl.com/3cask4
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...71033.mspx#EBB

Windows Vista -
Import video from an analog video
camera or VCR through a DV camera
http://tinyurl.com/2ockxc
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...6b7021033.mspx

Windows Vista -
Toss out those VHS tapes
http://tinyurl.com/2xzmkb
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...65d901033.mspx

Windows Vista -
Help and How To:
Windows DVD Maker
http://tinyurl.com/yusbhl
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...=&qu=dvd+maker

Windows Vista -
Windows DVD Maker:
Burn a DVD-Video disc
http://tinyurl.com/38qgzd
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...93e6f1033.mspx

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

DMD guy

Re: How do I copy a DVD?
John: Thanks for all of the links. I have bought Adobe photoshop Elements 6
and Premiere Elements 4. Maybe this software will make it easier to copy a
DVD. I thought the Premiere Elements 4 was more for editing videos. I have
not loaded this yet. Do you have an opinion on this software? Thanks
Larry
--
ldl

"John Inzer" wrote:

> DMD guy wrote:
> > John: Thanks for your reply. I assumed the computer has the
> > capibility of doing this procedure, but apparently you are suggesting
> > that additional software is needed? Larry

> Yes, for copying DVDs you need additional software.
>
> If you prefer not to install additional software...maybe
> the following collection of articles will offer some ideas
> you can use.
>
> Windows Vista - Copying
> And Burning CDs and DVDs
> http://tinyurl.com/2bd8t5
> or...
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...538e11033.mspx
>
> Windows Vista
> Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Media Center
> http://tinyurl.com/2bnndx
> or...
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...289e01033.mspx
>
> Windows Vista -
> Burn pictures and movies to DVD-Video
> disc using Windows DVD Maker
> http://tinyurl.com/3xtcfs
> or...
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...a60261033.mspx
>
> Windows Vista -
> Demo: Make a DVD-Video disc
> http://tinyurl.com/3cask4
> or...
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...71033.mspx#EBB
>
> Windows Vista -
> Import video from an analog video
> camera or VCR through a DV camera
> http://tinyurl.com/2ockxc
> or...
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...6b7021033.mspx
>
> Windows Vista -
> Toss out those VHS tapes
> http://tinyurl.com/2xzmkb
> or...
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...65d901033.mspx
>
> Windows Vista -
> Help and How To:
> Windows DVD Maker
> http://tinyurl.com/yusbhl
> or...
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...=&qu=dvd+maker
>
> Windows Vista -
> Windows DVD Maker:
> Burn a DVD-Video disc
> http://tinyurl.com/38qgzd
> or...
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...93e6f1033.mspx
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

Re: How do I copy a DVD?
DMD guy wrote:
> John: Thanks for all of the links. I have bought Adobe photoshop
> Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4. Maybe this software will make it
> easier to copy a DVD. I thought the Premiere Elements 4 was more for
> editing videos. I have not loaded this yet. Do you have an opinion
> on this software? Thanks Larry

==================================
High powered software for digital image and
video editing...but for simply copying a DVD
I think it's way more than you'll ever need.

As I previously suggested...ImgBurn would be
worth a try...and it's free.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

DMD guy

Re: How do I copy a DVD?
Right now I am just wanting to copy a DVD, but the goal I'm working on is to
make a historical video. I've been collecting pictures and old 8mm films since
2002 to document the history of a local drag strip. Therefore, eventually I
will need to insert captions, do voice over all of these old silent films and
incorporate still pictures with video. Thanks for your help!
Larry
--
ldl

"John Inzer" wrote:

> DMD guy wrote:
> > John: Thanks for all of the links. I have bought Adobe photoshop
> > Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4. Maybe this software will make it
> > easier to copy a DVD. I thought the Premiere Elements 4 was more for
> > editing videos. I have not loaded this yet. Do you have an opinion
> > on this software? Thanks Larry

> ==================================
> High powered software for digital image and
> video editing...but for simply copying a DVD
> I think it's way more than you'll ever need.
>
> As I previously suggested...ImgBurn would be
> worth a try...and it's free.
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

Re: How do I copy a DVD?
DMD guy wrote:
> Right now I am just wanting to copy a DVD, but the goal I'm working
> on is to make a historical video. I've been collecting pictures and
> old 8mm films since 2002 to document the history of a local drag
> strip. Therefore, eventually I will need to insert captions, do
> voice over all of these old silent films and incorporate still
> pictures with video. Thanks for your help!
> Larry

=========================
That will be a huge undertaking....

Good luck.