WMP sound breaks up ½ way through video

Bob

WMP sound breaks up ½ way through video
I play this 1:01:18 long training video on WMP and at 39:13 the sound beaks
up or glitches. The training video is from
mms://66.151.41.51/platform_introduction It might be password protected
for you because it is Tradestation training video. The sound or talking is
coming through but it breaks up or glitches through the remaining video
playtime and it is difficult to understand. If I really concentrate I can
understand it but it should not be this way. Before 39:13 it sounds great.

Searching for an answer http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html suggests:
"Vista-only: If your sound card is crackling or having audio glitching
(especially towards the end of tracks!), right-click on the Speaker icon in
the system tray, select Playback Devices, right-click Speakers in that new
dialog, go to Properties, then go to Enhancements - choose "Disable All
Enhancements" and you should be fixed up." I tried this and it did not
help.

I installed a freeware video player that would run
mms://66.151.41.51/platform_introduction and it did the same thing. I
installed RealPlayer and at 39:13 RealPlayer sound beaks up or glitches just
like WMP and the freeware player. I am thinking of trying Quicktime, would
that do it?

Are there some settings I need to adjust? Is it Tradestation creating some
type of error in there training video?

I called Acer support and they said it is a "Microsoft" issue and they can
only help me with Acer software and hardware. If any of you think this is a
hardware issue please let me know so I can credibly insist Acer help me with
this.

Any suggestions on things to try would be very much appreciated.

Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger than
I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008 running
MS Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit box. I check for MS auto updates very
frequently. I think it has onboard shared memory sound and video.

For what it's worth, I want to thank all you people who read and answer the
endless computer problems posted on these groups. You guys have really
helped me a number of times. Thank you so much for your service!!!!

Bob

John Inzer

Re: WMP sound breaks up ½ way through video
Bob wrote:
> I play this 1:01:18 long training video on WMP and at 39:13 the sound
> beaks up or glitches. The training video is from
> mms://66.151.41.51/platform_introduction It might be password
> protected for you because it is Tradestation training video. The
> sound or talking is coming through but it breaks up or glitches
> through the remaining video playtime and it is difficult to
> understand. If I really concentrate I can understand it but it
> should not be this way. Before 39:13 it sounds great.
> Searching for an answer http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html suggests:
> "Vista-only: If your sound card is crackling or having audio glitching
> (especially towards the end of tracks!), right-click on the Speaker
> icon in the system tray, select Playback Devices, right-click
> Speakers in that new dialog, go to Properties, then go to
> Enhancements - choose "Disable All Enhancements" and you should be
> fixed up." I tried this and it did not help.
>
> I installed a freeware video player that would run
> mms://66.151.41.51/platform_introduction and it did the same
> thing. I installed RealPlayer and at 39:13 RealPlayer sound beaks up
> or glitches just like WMP and the freeware player. I am thinking of
> trying Quicktime, would that do it?
>
> Are there some settings I need to adjust? Is it Tradestation
> creating some type of error in there training video?
>
> I called Acer support and they said it is a "Microsoft" issue and
> they can only help me with Acer software and hardware. If any of you
> think this is a hardware issue please let me know so I can credibly
> insist Acer help me with this.
>
> Any suggestions on things to try would be very much appreciated.
>
> Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way
> bigger than I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new
> February 2008 running MS Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit box. I check
> for MS auto updates very frequently. I think it has onboard shared
> memory sound and video.
> For what it's worth, I want to thank all you people who read and
> answer the endless computer problems posted on these groups. You
> guys have really helped me a number of times. Thank you so much for
> your service!!!!
> Bob

Do you experience this behavior on all videos or just this
one...the reason I ask is because I'm thinking the file may
be corrupted.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Bob

Re: WMP sound breaks up ½ way through video
First, thank you for your response, and so fast, you are great.

All other videos work well except Tradestation video but this might be
related, before this problem came up that yahoo news clip videos stopped
working. I posted to this group about yahoo news clip videos not working a
few days earlier and I did not get a response.

Tradestation support responded similar to you:
"WMP in Vista Ultimate 64 Sp1 is extremely buggy. Acer may be right.

Very possible that WMP damaged the training video if it was downloaded or
copied to your PC and played first on WMP...in which case, download or copy
it again.

Also do NOT defrag your hard drive with the Vista defrag utilities...it will
corrupt many (but not all) large files - the video likely is quite large."

It would be easy to start all over again. I just go to the appropriate web
page and click on the link again. But I assume I need to delete the
corrupted file first. How do I do that? Where does WMP keep the cache so I
can clean it out or how do I delete WMP cache? I have been using Ccleaner
to clean cache in IE7 and other junk files; I assume it will also clean WMP
cache.

Or maybe the question is how do I use video without corrupting it?

If Tradestation support comments were correct that WMP "damaged the training
video", is there a different video player you would suggest I use if WMP
corrupts video files?

Is there anything to the Tradestation support comments that Vista defrag
corrupts some large files? If so, can you suggest a different utility
(free?) that I can use to defrag my computer?

Once again, for what its worth, thanks so much for your help!!

Bob

"John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
> Bob wrote:
>> I play this 1:01:18 long training video on WMP and at 39:13 the sound
>> beaks up or glitches. The training video is from
>> mms://66.151.41.51/platform_introduction It might be password
>> protected for you because it is Tradestation training video. The
>> sound or talking is coming through but it breaks up or glitches
>> through the remaining video playtime and it is difficult to
>> understand. If I really concentrate I can understand it but it
>> should not be this way. Before 39:13 it sounds great.
>> Searching for an answer http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html suggests:
>> "Vista-only: If your sound card is crackling or having audio glitching
>> (especially towards the end of tracks!), right-click on the Speaker
>> icon in the system tray, select Playback Devices, right-click
>> Speakers in that new dialog, go to Properties, then go to
>> Enhancements - choose "Disable All Enhancements" and you should be
>> fixed up." I tried this and it did not help.
>>
>> I installed a freeware video player that would run
>> mms://66.151.41.51/platform_introduction and it did the same
>> thing. I installed RealPlayer and at 39:13 RealPlayer sound beaks up
>> or glitches just like WMP and the freeware player. I am thinking of
>> trying Quicktime, would that do it?
>>
>> Are there some settings I need to adjust? Is it Tradestation
>> creating some type of error in there training video?
>>
>> I called Acer support and they said it is a "Microsoft" issue and
>> they can only help me with Acer software and hardware. If any of you
>> think this is a hardware issue please let me know so I can credibly
>> insist Acer help me with this.
>>
>> Any suggestions on things to try would be very much appreciated.
>>
>> Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way
>> bigger than I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new
>> February 2008 running MS Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit box. I check
>> for MS auto updates very frequently. I think it has onboard shared
>> memory sound and video.
>> For what it's worth, I want to thank all you people who read and
>> answer the endless computer problems posted on these groups. You
>> guys have really helped me a number of times. Thank you so much for
>> your service!!!!
>> Bob

> Do you experience this behavior on all videos or just this
> one...the reason I ask is because I'm thinking the file may
> be corrupted.
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Bob

Re: WMP sound breaks up ½ way through video
I forgot to add I did not use defrag at all before I had this problem. It
has been about three weeks since I defragged and this video problem came
well after that.
Bob

Bob wrote:
> First, thank you for your response, and so fast, you are great.
>
> All other videos work well except Tradestation video but this might be
> related, before this problem came up that yahoo news clip videos
> stopped working. I posted to this group about yahoo news clip videos
> not working a few days earlier and I did not get a response.
>
> Tradestation support responded similar to you:
> "WMP in Vista Ultimate 64 Sp1 is extremely buggy. Acer may be right.
>
> Very possible that WMP damaged the training video if it was
> downloaded or copied to your PC and played first on WMP...in which
> case, download or copy it again.
>
> Also do NOT defrag your hard drive with the Vista defrag
> utilities...it will corrupt many (but not all) large files - the
> video likely is quite large."
> It would be easy to start all over again. I just go to the
> appropriate web page and click on the link again. But I assume I
> need to delete the corrupted file first. How do I do that? Where
> does WMP keep the cache so I can clean it out or how do I delete WMP
> cache? I have been using Ccleaner to clean cache in IE7 and other
> junk files; I assume it will also clean WMP cache.
>
> Or maybe the question is how do I use video without corrupting it?
>
> If Tradestation support comments were correct that WMP "damaged the
> training video", is there a different video player you would suggest
> I use if WMP corrupts video files?
>
> Is there anything to the Tradestation support comments that Vista
> defrag corrupts some large files? If so, can you suggest a different
> utility (free?) that I can use to defrag my computer?
>
> Once again, for what its worth, thanks so much for your help!!
>
> Bob

======================================
I could be totally wrong here...but my thought is
not that your system corrupted the video...I think
it's the video itself that has the problem.

Reason being...the clip skips on my system also
and I never have problems viewing online video.

Windows Vista -
Delete Temporary Internet files
http://tinyurl.com/29jl5s
or...