Some streaming video won't play - Windows Media Player - VISTA

Linnott

Some streaming video won't play - Windows Media Player - VISTA
I can't receive streaming video from one particular site via Windows Media
Player 11 running on VISTA, though my Windows Media Player 11 at work,
running under XP, receives it just fine. In some cases, I get an error
message about .aspx not being the expected format. Anybody have any clues?
I've spent two hours on the phone with my laptot manufacturer's tech support,
and more with the website furnishing the webcast, and everyone is baffled.
gorlin

Re: Some streaming video won't play - Windows Media Player - VISTA

Here ya go kids.....

3 months and 27 bottles of aspirin later I have the answer.

I recommend METHOD 3 as it is the least technical and time consuming.
It worked like a charm!

PROBLEM 1
When you try to stream audio or video from Microsoft Windows Media
Services, you may receive an error message that resembles the following
in Microsoft Windows Media Player:
The specified protocol is not supported.

Note: This problem does not occur when you play content that is stored
on a hard disk drive.

PROBLEM 2
When you click the Network tab of the Windows Media Player Options
menu, nothing happens.

PROBLEM 3
On the Windows Media Player Network tab, the "Streaming proxy settings"
protocol listing is empty.

CAUSE
This problem may occur if any one of the following conditions is true:
The Wmnet...This problem may occur if any one of the following
conditions is true:
The Wmnetmgr.dll file is unregistered.

The Wmnetmgr.dll file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
The Wmsdkns.xml file is corrupted.

The file is Windows Media Player's network namespace file.
The Wmsdkns.xml file has incorrect permissions.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods.

METHOD 1
Register the Wmnetmgr.dll file by using an account that is in the
Administrators group. At a command prompt, run the following command.
regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll

METHOD 2
Make sure that the user account that is using Windows Media Player has
Modify permissions for the Wmsdkns.xml file.

Note In Windows Vista, the file is located in the
C:\Users\Userame\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Media\11.0 folder. In
Windows XP, the file is located in the C:\Documents and
Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
Media\11.0 folder.

METHOD 3
Delete the Wmsdkns.xml file. After you delete it, Windows Media Player
will re-create the Wmsdkns.xml file.

MORE INFORMATION:
Steps to reproduce the problem Unregister the Wmnetmgr.dll file by
using an acco...Steps to reproduce the problem
Unregister the Wmnetmgr.dll file by using an account that is in the
Administrators group. At the command prompt, run the following command.

regsvr32 /u wmnetmgr.dll

Make sure that the user account that is using Windows Media Player has
Deny permissions for the Wmsdkns.xml file.

--
gorlin
gorlin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/gorlin.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

serpentracer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Some streaming video won't play - Windows Media Player - VISTA
typically you are just missing a codec required to play the file. make sure the update codecs automatically option is enabled in the media player tools.
and download the DivX codec.
that should cover all the codecs out there.
I've never come across a video that media player doesn't play.
Download DivX for Windows

Last edited by serpentracer : 11-22-2008 at 02:26.