Windows DVD Maker encoder missing

ChuckFlink

Windows DVD Maker encoder missing
I tried to make a DVD including mix of pictures (JPG) and videos (AVI and
MOV). It previews just like a want it, allowing me to view all videos, but
when I go to burn the DVD, it complains that an encoder needed for some of
the material (MOV?) is missing. I've installed the latest Quicktime and
upgraded to PRO, but still does not work. Any suggestions???
--
- Chuck Flink
John Inzer

Re: Windows DVD Maker encoder missing
ChuckFlink wrote:
> I tried to make a DVD including mix of pictures (JPG) and videos (AVI
> and MOV). It previews just like a want it, allowing me to view all
> videos, but when I go to burn the DVD, it complains that an encoder
> needed for some of the material (MOV?) is missing. I've installed
> the latest Quicktime and upgraded to PRO, but still does not work.
> Any suggestions??? --
> - Chuck Flink

==================================
Movie Maker / DVD Maker is not compatible
with QuickTime .mov files...you need to convert
them to a compatible format.

Windows Vista -
Import video files, pictures,
and audio into Windows Movie Maker
(compatible formats)
http://tinyurl.com/2y7zag
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...9d7f91033.mspx

The following free online converter might be
worth a try:

MediaConvert
http://media-convert.com/

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

ChuckFlink

Re: Windows DVD Maker encoder missing

Strong recommendation to Microsoft and Apple: either be compatible or be
incompatible, but quit doing a lousy job by being half compatible. Assuming
John is correct that DVD Maker is not capable of doing what Live Photo
Gallery and Media Player does (i.e. recognize when Quicktime is installed and
use appropriate modules to translate) then it reflects badly upon the
designers in MS and/or Apple.

Just as Apple provides functionality to display MOV files in LPG and MP; MS
provides functionality to allow AVI files to display in Quicktime and iTunes.
Now they should recognize the NEXT STEP is to provide the encoding
funtionality to allow either video format to translate to the DVD standard
format.

I posted with the assumption that this software was as well designed as the
other programs mentioned. If so, it was simply a matter of finding the
correct library to install. Assuming John's correct, I'll use Quicktime Pro
to translate the MOV to AVI and remember from now on to use only cameras that
generate MS compatible video.