Gateway Laptop (running Vista) Memory Card Reader Slot Not Working

Melly

Gateway Laptop (running Vista) Memory Card Reader Slot Not Working
I insert my SD Memory Card from my camera into my memory card reader slot on
the side of my Gateway laptop, and NOTHING happens. It sounds like it's
'working', but nothing pops up, I don't see anything when I go to My
Computer, no extra drives, nothing.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on the laptop, if that makes a
difference or not...

I don't know what to do or how to get it to work. I've tried finding
information all over the place and I can't find anything. Super frustrating.

Any help/suggestions/advice??

Thank you in advance!!
Curious

Re: Gateway Laptop (running Vista) Memory Card Reader Slot Not Working
While using the camera did you format the card for use in Windows?
"Melly" <Melly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I insert my SD Memory Card from my camera into my memory card reader slot
>on
> the side of my Gateway laptop, and NOTHING happens. It sounds like it's
> 'working', but nothing pops up, I don't see anything when I go to My
> Computer, no extra drives, nothing.
>
> I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on the laptop, if that makes a
> difference or not...
>
> I don't know what to do or how to get it to work. I've tried finding
> information all over the place and I can't find anything. Super
> frustrating.
>
> Any help/suggestions/advice??
>

> Thank you in advance!!

Clevo

Re: Gateway Laptop (running Vista) Memory Card Reader Slot Not Working

While it should work if you are desperate to upload the pictures into
the PC leave the SD card in the camera and connect the two using the
usually supplied USB cable.

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
Melly

Re: Gateway Laptop (running Vista) Memory Card Reader Slot Not Wor
I can't format the card for use in Windows while I use the camera... It's a
Canon.

"Curious" wrote:

> While using the camera did you format the card for use in Windows?
> "Melly" <Melly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I insert my SD Memory Card from my camera into my memory card reader slot
> >on
> > the side of my Gateway laptop, and NOTHING happens. It sounds like it's
> > 'working', but nothing pops up, I don't see anything when I go to My
> > Computer, no extra drives, nothing.
> >
> > I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on the laptop, if that makes a
> > difference or not...
> >
> > I don't know what to do or how to get it to work. I've tried finding
> > information all over the place and I can't find anything. Super
> > frustrating.
> >
> > Any help/suggestions/advice??
> >

> > Thank you in advance!!

Melly

Re: Gateway Laptop (running Vista) Memory Card Reader Slot Not Wor
Understandably so, seeing as how I normally would handle the task of
uploading pictures from my camera to my computer; however, unfortunately I've
misplaced the USB cable that came supplied with the camera, and I need the
pictures on my camera as soon as possible due to unforeseen family
complications.

I also understand that in theory it *should* work, but unfortunately it
isn't... which is why I've posted the question/problem to see if someone knew
the answer as to why it is not working.

"Clevo" wrote:

> While it should work if you are desperate to upload the pictures into
> the PC leave the SD card in the camera and connect the two using the
> usually supplied USB cable.
>

> Melly;712231 Wrote:
> > I insert my SD Memory Card from my camera into my memory card reader
> > slot on
> > the side of my Gateway laptop, and NOTHING happens. It sounds like it's
> > 'working', but nothing pops up, I don't see anything when I go to My
> > Computer, no extra drives, nothing.
> >
> > I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on the laptop, if that makes a
> > difference or not...
> >
> > I don't know what to do or how to get it to work. I've tried finding
> > information all over the place and I can't find anything. Super
> > frustrating.
> >
> > Any help/suggestions/advice??
> >

> > Thank you in advance!!

> --
> Clevo
>
> ___________________________
> Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
> ASUS P5K MB
> Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
> 4GB RAM (DDR2)
> NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
> Realtek HD onboard sound
>
> Helpful links:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE

JohnS

Re: Gateway Laptop (running Vista) Memory Card Reader Slot Not Working

The problem of non-functional built-in card readers in laptops seems to
be fairly common, whether the operating system is Vista or XP. In my
laptop, the reader worked OK with a memory stick card, but not an SD
card. When an SD card was inserted, the slot was totally dead. I gave up
for a while and bought an external card reader that plugged into a USB
port, but now the problem has been solved. It took a while to find the
fix for my Gateway MX3560 laptop.

Fix: In many Gateway laptops, and in a lot of other brands of laptops,
the flash card readers is a Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated
FlashMedia Controller. The xx will be numbers, but the same driver seems
to work for a variety of models. Look in your Control Panel, System,
Device Manager to see if that is the kind of reader that you have. The
problem was that the original TI drivers just did not work, and the
Gateway.com web site did not list the updated driver for my laptop
model. However, the right driver was buried deep in the site. To find
it, first select Support, then Drivers & Downloads. In the drivers &
downloads search box, enter "TI Media Card Reader Driver". I selected
the driver D20009-000-001.exe, dated 5/8/2009, downloaded it, and
followed the directions to install. Success! The card reader works
perfectly now !!! Good luck with your laptop.

--
JohnS