Strange Video dimensions

sportsjoe627

Strange Video dimensions
Some video files in Windows Media Player have funny dimensions and I don't
know how to fix it. Some files are either stretched vertically or
horizontally. And all of the movies I burned with Windows DVD Maker came out
compressed horizontally.. Weird.
Clevo

Re: Strange Video dimensions

sportsjoe627;709502 Wrote:
> Some video files in Windows Media Player have funny dimensions and I
> don't
> know how to fix it. Some files are either stretched vertically or
> horizontally. And all of the movies I burned with Windows DVD Maker
> came out
> compressed horizontally.. Weird.

Not weird...

You mad a mistake when creating the DVD.

Since you fail to tell us how you got the video, what aspect ratio it
was when you got it...what you used to author the DVD...I honestly doubt
anyone could answer your problem.

What is clear though is that you have no idea of aspect ratio and how
to keep those settings consistant throughout capture, editing and
authoring a DVD.

So, in light of a lack of information I really can't add that much
more.

In future, when asking a question can you include ALL the information
you think we need to answr.

If your car is broken and you ring the mechanic...think about what they
will ask BEFORE you could even take it in for repairs...I'm sure..."My
car is broken" is not enough!

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
k2M

Re: Strange Video dimensions
I am not the original author of the post, but am picking up the thread as I
have a similar question related to this topic.... I'll be a little more
specific.

I am creating WMV-HD content at 1440x1080, non-square pixels (HD anamorphic
ratio of 1.333) using Adobe Premiere Pro CS3. The video plays back great on
the PC using Windows Media Player and also using Windows Media center on the
PC. When I watch the same video connected to an HDTV using an xbox360 and a
media center extender, the video is not strectched to fill the screen. It
appears that the video is retaining its 1440 pixels, and not stretching the
pixels horizontally by the 1.3333 aspect ratio defined when I created the
WMV-HD video file. I am not sure if this is an XBOX 360 issue, and/or a
MediaCenter extender issue. Just to clarify, the xbox 360 is displaying
other content correcting in widescreen mode.

One test that I have not yet done (but will later today) is to burn the
WMV-HD file to a data dvd and then insert the data DVD into the XBOX360 and
see if the XBOX360 knows how to interpret correctly (and proportionally
strectch) a 1440x1080 (1.3333 aspect) video file correctly at 1920x1080.
This test would bypass the media center, which would confirm if the issue is
an XBOX360 issue, or a media center issue.

If anyone has additional information regarding streaming non-square pixel HD
WMV video files using the Media Center (vista) and a xbox 360 please let me
know.

"Clevo" wrote:

> sportsjoe627;709502 Wrote:
> > Some video files in Windows Media Player have funny dimensions and I
> > don't
> > know how to fix it. Some files are either stretched vertically or
> > horizontally. And all of the movies I burned with Windows DVD Maker
> > came out
> > compressed horizontally.. Weird.

> Not weird...
>
> You mad a mistake when creating the DVD.
>
> Since you fail to tell us how you got the video, what aspect ratio it
> was when you got it...what you used to author the DVD...I honestly doubt
> anyone could answer your problem.
>
> What is clear though is that you have no idea of aspect ratio and how
> to keep those settings consistant throughout capture, editing and
> authoring a DVD.
>
> So, in light of a lack of information I really can't add that much
> more.
>
> In future, when asking a question can you include ALL the information
> you think we need to answr.
>
> If your car is broken and you ring the mechanic...think about what they
> will ask BEFORE you could even take it in for repairs...I'm sure..."My
> car is broken" is not enough!
>

> --
> Clevo
>
> ___________________________
> Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
> ASUS P5K MB
> Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
> 4GB RAM (DDR2)
> NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
> Realtek HD onboard sound
>
> Helpful links:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE

Clevo

Re: Strange Video dimensions

Hi K2M

thanks for the details... the xbox is not an area i know much about but
in one of you paragraphs you mentioned that "interpret correctly (and
proportionally
strectch) a 1440x1080 (1.3333 aspect) video file correctly at
1920x1080"

Video is just a series of images and proportionally adjusting 1440 to
1920 the 1080 must also increase proportionally to the same
ratio...otherwise you get a weird skewed effect.

CRT monitors behave differently to LCD monitors too. CRT will cut off
the a percentage of the entire edge.

As for the rest it's something I'm going to have to jump on the
learning curve onto so if you can do let us know any outcomes.

Thanks