New Video Card

lolsonjr

New Video Card
Since I have a built in video (Nvidia 7100 on Nvidia 630i chipset) I want to add or replace it with a video card.  The question is which one.  My requirements, 512 meg., HDMI VGA or DVI.  The obvious question in my mind is since I have an Nvidia chipset and all, should I stick with Nvidia or can I safely go with another brand.  Oh yes, and since I only have a 250 watt power supply should I plan on replacing that also?  Thank you in advance.

Curious

Re: New Video Card
Why 512 MB unless you are using 1080i input and dual display outputs 128MB
is sufficient for all of the display buffers that are required concurrently?
The NVIDIA 8xxx and 9xxx cards use a smaller die so require less power then
7xxx cards.
However if you have any plans or multiple hard or optical drives or for a
lot of system/and or graphics card memory the a bigger power supply is
certainly recommended.
Do you require HDMI outputs that also support digital audio?
"lolsonjr" wrote in message news:OVBHxZusIHA.5096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Since I have a built in video (Nvidia 7100 on Nvidia 630i chipset) I want
> to add or replace it with a video card.  The question is which
> one.  My requirements, 512 meg., HDMI VGA or DVI.  The obvious
> question in my mind is since I have an Nvidia chipset and all, should I
> stick with Nvidia or can I safely go with another brand.  Oh yes, and
> since I only have a 250 watt power supply should I plan on replacing that
> also?  Thank you in advance.
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

lolsonjr

RE: New Video Card
Yes I am actually as I have both a 22 inch HP and a 32 inch Sharp HDTV that I use.  On the drives I doubt I will get another internal for a while anyway as I have 3 external firewire drives.  The thought on the 512 megs. is I do Photoshop quite a bit and I have been using Windows DVD Movie maker quite a bit.  And im was wondering with all that graphics if the bigger supply would be a good idea.  And even though I am getting older by the day, I am, not against playing games either.  Thanks for replies.

Curious

Re: New Video Card
What does .&nbsp mean?
I know that Photo shop and Movie Maker use a lot of main memory but I was
not aware that they used multiple graphic card buffers concurrently.

"lolsonjr" wrote in message news:e0iVzYxsIHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Yes I am actually as I have both a 22 inch HP and a 32 inch Sharp HDTV
> that I use.  On the drives I doubt I will get another internal for a
> while anyway as I have 3 external firewire drives.  The thought on
> the 512 megs. is I do Photoshop quite a bit and I have been using Windows
> DVD Movie maker quite a bit.  And im was wondering with all that
> graphics if the bigger supply would be a good idea.  And even though
> I am getting older by the day, I am, not against playing games
> either.  Thanks for replies.
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

lolsonjr

RE: New Video Card
If I indicated that sorry.  I was thinking that a video card of that size might produce some extra heat in whatever situations that might occur, that was my only reasoning for thinking about more power.  On memory I can only get 4 gigs. total so I doubt that would be a big deal.  When I had a mac I had a 256 meg. graphics card that caused me all kinds of heat issues.  Also, I have my computer partially enclosed in a cabinet of a computer desk so that might also produce more heat.

Curious

Re: New Video Card
From your reasons I still have no idea what ,&nabs stands for means.