BBC iPlayer - Windows Media Player has a DRM error

jg

BBC iPlayer - Windows Media Player has a DRM error
My BBC iPlayer has stopped downloading and I get the message "Windows Media
Player has a DRM error that prevents iPlayer from downloading and playing
programmes".
I've tried all the suggestions from the BBC tech support but none of them
works. The last was to uninstall WMP11, download it again from Microsoft and
re-install it. I couldn't do this either because, apparently WMP11 is an
integral part of Vista and you can't uninstall it.
I can stream programmes iPlayer, I just can't download them.
Any suggestions ?
--
jg
viccie7

RE: BBC iPlayer - Windows Media Player has a DRM error
I am having exactly the same problems, it is the same with channel4 online as
well. Until now I have been using my computer as a TV but nothing will work.
I also have tried all of the BBC tech support and the Channel 4 tech support
and nothing will work.

"jg" wrote:

> My BBC iPlayer has stopped downloading and I get the message "Windows Media
> Player has a DRM error that prevents iPlayer from downloading and playing
> programmes".
> I've tried all the suggestions from the BBC tech support but none of them
> works. The last was to uninstall WMP11, download it again from Microsoft and
> re-install it. I couldn't do this either because, apparently WMP11 is an
> integral part of Vista and you can't uninstall it.
> I can stream programmes iPlayer, I just can't download them.
> Any suggestions ?
> --
> jg

GP

RE: BBC iPlayer - Windows Media Player has a DRM error
Im also having this problem, there must be a way of fixin it?
Rye Mojo

RE: BBC iPlayer - Windows Media Player has a DRM error
Me 2! I have tried everything! It used to work but it seems that something
is blocking the programme from starting, tried everything on the BBC help
pages to no avail. 4oD will not work either! Any ideas??

"GP" wrote:

> Im also having this problem, there must be a way of fixin it?

Merton

RE: BBC iPlayer - Windows Media Player has a DRM error
I too have the same problem. Was on Windows Media Player 10 and everything
worked fine. Upgraded to WMP 11 and it all went pear shaped. Have tried
rolling back to WMP 10 but doesn't now work. Both 4OD and iPlayer advise that
DRM is corrupt - "We have detected a problem with your Digital Rights
Management (DRM) store files. Click Continue for instructions on how to fix
the problem."- refers me to MS site. That in turn refers to MS Doc KB 810422,
but when that link is pressed, advises that page is not available.
Have tried uninstalling and re-installing iplayer but to no avail.

Does anyone have a copy of KB 810422 or any other solution to this problem?

please advise

Mert

"jg" wrote:

> My BBC iPlayer has stopped downloading and I get the message "Windows Media
> Player has a DRM error that prevents iPlayer from downloading and playing
> programmes".
> I've tried all the suggestions from the BBC tech support but none of them
> works. The last was to uninstall WMP11, download it again from Microsoft and
> re-install it. I couldn't do this either because, apparently WMP11 is an
> integral part of Vista and you can't uninstall it.
> I can stream programmes iPlayer, I just can't download them.
> Any suggestions ?
> --
> jg

merylmel

Re: BBC iPlayer - Windows Media Player has a DRM error

Hi

I have finally found a way that worked for me and my BBC iPlayer is now
working again. I typed DRM_reset.exe into Google, downloaded and when I
tried the iPlayer it did a quick update and started to download again. I
hope it works for you.

--
merylmel
jg

Re: BBC iPlayer - Windows Media Player has a DRM error
Thanks for that but I had already given up in disgust and re-installed Vista
to solve the problem. Drastic, maybe, but it worked.

I can't understand why Microsoft has made WMP 11 an integral part of Vista.
If only I could have uninstalled it (as you could in the 'good old days' of
XP) and re-installed a fresh copy, the situation may have been avoided.
--
jg

"merylmel" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have finally found a way that worked for me and my BBC iPlayer is now
> working again. I typed DRM_reset.exe into Google, downloaded and when I
> tried the iPlayer it did a quick update and started to download again. I
> hope it works for you.
>

> --
> merylmel

zachd [MSFT]

Re: BBC iPlayer - Windows Media Player has a DRM error

If it's the data corruption issue I think it is, that's never been addressed
(fixed) by a reinstall, so that would not have helped you. Reinstalling
Vista does reset the data corruption, though. =\

What steps happened before you got into this state? It would be good to
understand why this failed for you.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"jg" <jg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB93E00C-FD11-4268-9630-4F71F21564B0@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for that but I had already given up in disgust and re-installed
> Vista
> to solve the problem. Drastic, maybe, but it worked.
>
> I can't understand why Microsoft has made WMP 11 an integral part of
> Vista.
> If only I could have uninstalled it (as you could in the 'good old days'
> of
> XP) and re-installed a fresh copy, the situation may have been avoided.
> --
> jg
>

> "merylmel" wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I have finally found a way that worked for me and my BBC iPlayer is now
>> working again. I typed DRM_reset.exe into Google, downloaded and when I
>> tried the iPlayer it did a quick update and started to download again. I
>> hope it works for you.
>>

>> --
>> merylmel

jg

Re: BBC iPlayer - Windows Media Player has a DRM error
It all happened so long ago now that I can't remember all the details but if
you read my original query (posted 5/9/08) that may help. Apart from that,
there isn't much more I can help you with. The error just seemed to arise
spontaneously and I can't tie it to anything I was doing with the PC. The
BBC support site suggested that the problem may have originated with their
software but none of their suggestions to fix it were effective.
--
jg

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> If it's the data corruption issue I think it is, that's never been addressed
> (fixed) by a reinstall, so that would not have helped you. Reinstalling
> Vista does reset the data corruption, though. =\
>
> What steps happened before you got into this state? It would be good to
> understand why this failed for you.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "jg" <jg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsB93E00C-FD11-4268-9630-4F71F21564B0@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for that but I had already given up in disgust and re-installed
> > Vista
> > to solve the problem. Drastic, maybe, but it worked.
> >
> > I can't understand why Microsoft has made WMP 11 an integral part of
> > Vista.
> > If only I could have uninstalled it (as you could in the 'good old days'
> > of
> > XP) and re-installed a fresh copy, the situation may have been avoided.
> > --
> > jg
> >

> > "merylmel" wrote:
> >

> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have finally found a way that worked for me and my BBC iPlayer is now
> >> working again. I typed DRM_reset.exe into Google, downloaded and when I
> >> tried the iPlayer it did a quick update and started to download again. I
> >> hope it works for you.
> >>

> >> --
> >> merylmel

zachd [MSFT]

Re: BBC iPlayer - Windows Media Player has a DRM error

OK, yeah, I checked that out. Hopefully maybe if anybody runs into this in
the future we might be able to get more data about *led* into that state. =\