Color Management Woes

Akhenaten

Color Management Woes

I've been using a digital camera for several years and loved the results
but when I send friends some pictures they say they look for the most
part horrible.
This is especially true with my latest computer which is a Gateway
GT5662 and using a Gateway 24" monitor. MY O/S is Vista Home Premium
under 3 GB ram.

When using this combination I produce exceptionally nice color using
CS2 or Bibble and a Canon Rebel XTi camera. All shooting is done in
Raw Format.

I have 2 more working computers and if I view the processed Jpeg
files on either my 20" NEC or my 17" Sceptre monitor I am in for a
shock. Now I really see what my friends are talking about.

Lately in my quest for better viewing I have used a Color Spyder 2
Express on all 3 monitors and this has not solved anything.

What am I doing so wrong that would cause such a difference in
appearance of my photos from one computer/monitor to another - even at
home? I am stumped and about to pull my hair out.

Any suggestions would be welcomed at this time.

--
Akhenaten
Clevo

Re: Color Management Woes

Akhenaten;705672 Wrote:
> I've been using a digital camera for several years and loved the results
> but when I send friends some pictures they say they look for the most
> part horrible.
> This is especially true with my latest computer which is a Gateway
> GT5662 and using a Gateway 24" monitor. MY O/S is Vista Home Premium
> under 3 GB ram.
>
> When using this combination I produce exceptionally nice color using
> CS2 or Bibble and a Canon Rebel XTi camera. All shooting is done in Raw
> Format.
>
> I have 2 more working computers and if I view the processed Jpeg files
> on either my 20" NEC or my 17" Sceptre monitor I am in for a shock. Now
> I really see what my friends are talking about.
>
> Lately in my quest for better viewing I have used a Color Spyder 2
> Express on all 3 monitors and this has not solved anything.
>
> What am I doing so wrong that would cause such a difference in
> appearance of my photos from one computer/monitor to another - even at
> home? I am stumped and about to pull my hair out.
>
> Any suggestions would be welcomed at this time.

While you can control how you colour calibrate your system there is no
way you can control how others have colour managed THEIR systems.

One good test for you to try is to grab a USB memory stick and load it
up with a selection of say 5 pix with different colour & lighting
situations. Go to a photo print place and print them off. See how they
compare with your pix.

I'm presuming your monitor is is an LCD and after reading up on them
they are inherintly difficult to colour calibrate compared to the good
old CRT.

Unless your livelyhood depends on it I probably wouldn;t worry about it
too much. but do the test I suggested above and also read any reviews on
the net with regards to your monitor.

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
Akhenaten

Re: Color Management Woes

I'll try what you have said an no my livelyhood does not depend on
anything photographic anymore - that stroke in 04 took care of that.

--
Akhenaten
John Inzer

Re: Color Management Woes
Akhenaten wrote:
> I've been using a digital camera for several years and loved the
> results but when I send friends some pictures they say they look for
> the most part horrible.
> This is especially true with my latest computer which is a Gateway
> GT5662 and using a Gateway 24" monitor. MY O/S is Vista Home Premium
> under 3 GB ram.
>
> When using this combination I produce exceptionally nice color using
> CS2 or Bibble and a Canon Rebel XTi camera. All shooting is done in
> Raw Format.
>
> I have 2 more working computers and if I view the processed Jpeg
> files on either my 20" NEC or my 17" Sceptre monitor I am in for a
> shock. Now I really see what my friends are talking about.
>
> Lately in my quest for better viewing I have used a Color Spyder 2
> Express on all 3 monitors and this has not solved anything.
>
> What am I doing so wrong that would cause such a difference in
> appearance of my photos from one computer/monitor to another - even at
> home? I am stumped and about to pull my hair out.
>
> Any suggestions would be welcomed at this time.

=====================================
If are you using any color profiles I'm thinking
I would remove them...

The following article explains how:

(939395) When you view an image in Windows
Photo Gallery on a Windows Vista-based computer,
the image is yellow
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939395/en-us

--

John Inzer