Recording analogue tapes to file using LINE-IN

Richard

Recording analogue tapes to file using LINE-IN
I'm trying to create music files from cassettes using an ACER 5920 lapton
(Vista Home Premium) and AUDACITY. I cannot seem to get a signal into
AUDACITY, although I han hear an output from the computer's speakers. I have
connected the cassette player's headphone output to the computer's LINE-IN
jack. I have set the device preferences in AUDACITY and have right-clicked
the speaker icon and set the recording device to LINE-IN but still no-go! Can
anyon suggest what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!
--
Richard
John Inzer

Re: Recording analogue tapes to file using LINE-IN
Richard wrote:
> I'm trying to create music files from cassettes using an ACER 5920
> lapton (Vista Home Premium) and AUDACITY. I cannot seem to get a
> signal into AUDACITY, although I han hear an output from the
> computer's speakers. I have connected the cassette player's headphone
> output to the computer's LINE-IN jack. I have set the device
> preferences in AUDACITY and have right-clicked the speaker icon and
> set the recording device to LINE-IN but still no-go! Can anyon
> suggest what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!

==================================
Not sure if the following article offers anything
you missed but it couldn't hurt to have a look:

How do I record from vinyl records, cassette tapes, or minidiscs?
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...=records-tapes

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Richard

Re: Recording analogue tapes to file using LINE-IN
Thanks for that, John but I think I've done everything that article suggests.
I'm assuming I must have a setting in Vista itself which is causing the
problem.
--
Richard

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Richard wrote:
> > I'm trying to create music files from cassettes using an ACER 5920
> > lapton (Vista Home Premium) and AUDACITY. I cannot seem to get a
> > signal into AUDACITY, although I han hear an output from the
> > computer's speakers. I have connected the cassette player's headphone
> > output to the computer's LINE-IN jack. I have set the device
> > preferences in AUDACITY and have right-clicked the speaker icon and
> > set the recording device to LINE-IN but still no-go! Can anyon
> > suggest what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!

> ==================================
> Not sure if the following article offers anything
> you missed but it couldn't hurt to have a look:
>
> How do I record from vinyl records, cassette tapes, or minidiscs?
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...=records-tapes
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Clevo

Richard;690309 Wrote:
> I'm trying to create music files from cassettes using an ACER 5920
> lapton
> (Vista Home Premium) and AUDACITY. I cannot seem to get a signal into
> AUDACITY, although I han hear an output from the computer's speakers. I
> have
> connected the cassette player's headphone output to the computer's
> LINE-IN
> jack. I have set the device preferences in AUDACITY and have
> right-clicked
> the speaker icon and set the recording device to LINE-IN but still
> no-go! Can
> anyon suggest what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!
> --
> Richard

What Sound card are you using there?

--
Clevo
Richard

Re: Recording analogue tapes to file using LINE-IN
Realtek High Definition Audio

Edward

Re: Recording analogue tapes to file using LINE-IN

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> I'm trying to create music files from cassettes using an ACER 5920 lapton
> (Vista Home Premium) and AUDACITY. I cannot seem to get a signal into
> AUDACITY, although I han hear an output from the computer's speakers. I
> have
> connected the cassette player's headphone output to the computer's LINE-IN
> jack. I have set the device preferences in AUDACITY and have right-clicked
> the speaker icon and set the recording device to LINE-IN but still no-go!
> Can
> anyon suggest what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!
> --
> Richard

Select sound from the control panel.
Select the recording tab.
Right click on the background of the tab and choose "show disabled
devices."
Right click on Wave Out Mix (Stereo Mix) and click enable.
Now it should work the same way as Wave Out Mix in Windows XP, allowing
you to record any sound your computer makes.

Clevo

Richard;691038 Wrote:
> Realtek High Definition Audio

In control panel/Sound/

Do you have "line-in" enabled?

--
Clevo
Richard

Re: Recording analogue tapes to file using LINE-IN
Yes - Right-clicked the speaker icon, selected Recording devices and enabled
there.
Richard

Re: Recording analogue tapes to file using LINE-IN
"Edward" wrote:

1> Select sound from the control panel.
2> Select the recording tab.
3> Right click on the background of the tab and choose "show disabled
> devices."

4> Right click on Wave Out Mix (Stereo Mix) and click enable.
> Now it should work the same way as Wave Out Mix in Windows XP, allowing
> you to record any sound your computer makes.

Thanks, Edward

I've done 1,2 & 3 (on the "Recording" tab) but can only see "Stereo Mix" at
4. I've right-clicked and enabled that but can't find "Wave Out Mix" (I'm
using Vista Home Premium).

I've tried readjusting all the preferences in AUDACITY but, while I can
still hear output through the computer speakers, still can't get a signal to
register or record.

Everything is showing "working" as its status.

Richard

RE: Recording analogue tapes to file using LINE-IN
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Anyone following this thread wohas experienced a similar problem will be
interested to know that the problem was solved as soon as I installed Vista
SP1.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!
--
Richard in Chester