DRM and Purchased Music in Vista

Doc1973

DRM and Purchased Music in Vista
Here's one for you. In the past, I purchased songs from FullAudio and
MusicNow. AOL acquired MusicNow and then acquired FullAudio. They now have
plans to take MusicNow and consolidate it into Napster. In the meantime, I
am sitting in Vista not being able to do anything with these legitimate
purchased songs because I can't obtain the license. AOL is no help at all
and has no plans to give anyone the license. Other than not buying songs at
all, does anyone see how I can get to the licenses?
--
Thank You,
Doc1973

Mike Bernstein

Re: DRM and Purchased Music in Vista
I doubt there is any way to get your licenses back. I have lost a lot of
music due to the fragility of DRM and upgrades to my PC including the
upgrade to Vista. Whenever I buy downloaded music now I use a program WMA
Convert http://www.wma-convert.com/, which saves a non-protected copy of
each file. I store these files as a protection against any future loss of
DRM licenses. You only get 3 re-downloads of licenses with most suppliers
anyway.

Mike Bernstein

"Doc1973" <jbourn@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Here's one for you. In the past, I purchased songs from FullAudio and
> MusicNow. AOL acquired MusicNow and then acquired FullAudio. They now
> have plans to take MusicNow and consolidate it into Napster. In the
> meantime, I am sitting in Vista not being able to do anything with these
> legitimate purchased songs because I can't obtain the license. AOL is no
> help at all and has no plans to give anyone the license. Other than not
> buying songs at all, does anyone see how I can get to the licenses?
> --
> Thank You,
> Doc1973

Doc1973

Re: DRM and Purchased Music in Vista
I share your pain. Is there anyone out there that has been successful in
recovering or receiving re-issues of these licenses from these companies?

"Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> wrote in message
news045D5FB-F258-43FC-9837-CA710A9E707E@microsoft.com...
>I doubt there is any way to get your licenses back. I have lost a lot of
>music due to the fragility of DRM and upgrades to my PC including the
>upgrade to Vista. Whenever I buy downloaded music now I use a program WMA
>Convert http://www.wma-convert.com/, which saves a non-protected copy of
>each file. I store these files as a protection against any future loss of
>DRM licenses. You only get 3 re-downloads of licenses with most suppliers
>anyway.
>
> Mike Bernstein
>
> "Doc1973" <jbourn@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Here's one for you. In the past, I purchased songs from FullAudio and
>> MusicNow. AOL acquired MusicNow and then acquired FullAudio. They now
>> have plans to take MusicNow and consolidate it into Napster. In the
>> meantime, I am sitting in Vista not being able to do anything with these
>> legitimate purchased songs because I can't obtain the license. AOL is no
>> help at all and has no plans to give anyone the license. Other than not
>> buying songs at all, does anyone see how I can get to the licenses?
>> --
>> Thank You,
>> Doc1973

Dale

Re: DRM and Purchased Music in Vista
An attorney would be the best way to pursue recovering your licenses. This
is going to take a class-action suit.

File complaints with the Better Business Bureau. File complaints with your
own state Attorney General's office if you live in the United States. Many
states have laws absolutely requiring companies to respond to complaints
made to the Attorney General's office. File complaints with the state
Attorney General's office in the headquarters state of AOL.

Any time you buy music online your use of that music is fully dependent on
the whim or the fortunes of the companies from which you paid for the music.
Even Microsoft has shut down its MSN Music (though the license servers are
still available - for now, but not forever). Buying online music with DRM
is never a good idea. I suggest buying music on physical CDs only and
ripping those CDs to MP3 only and playing them on a Windows XP SP2 (and no
more updates afterwards) computer, or earlier OS, that is completely
disconnected from the Internet. And even then, disable auto-notification on
your CD drive and never ever look at premium content on CDs. That premium
content can, and has in the past, been used to install malware on customers'
PCs in order to limit their ability to fair-use rights to their music.

Dale

>I share your pain. Is there anyone out there that has been successful in
>recovering or receiving re-issues of these licenses from these companies?
>

> "Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> wrote in message
> news045D5FB-F258-43FC-9837-CA710A9E707E@microsoft.com...
>>I doubt there is any way to get your licenses back. I have lost a lot of
>>music due to the fragility of DRM and upgrades to my PC including the
>>upgrade to Vista. Whenever I buy downloaded music now I use a program WMA
>>Convert http://www.wma-convert.com/, which saves a non-protected copy of
>>each file. I store these files as a protection against any future loss of
>>DRM licenses. You only get 3 re-downloads of licenses with most suppliers
>>anyway.
>>
>> Mike Bernstein
>>
>> "Doc1973" <jbourn@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Here's one for you. In the past, I purchased songs from FullAudio and
>>> MusicNow. AOL acquired MusicNow and then acquired FullAudio. They now
>>> have plans to take MusicNow and consolidate it into Napster. In the
>>> meantime, I am sitting in Vista not being able to do anything with these
>>> legitimate purchased songs because I can't obtain the license. AOL is
>>> no help at all and has no plans to give anyone the license. Other than
>>> not buying songs at all, does anyone see how I can get to the licenses?
>>> --
>>> Thank You,
>>> Doc1973

Doc1973

Re: DRM and Purchased Music in Vista
Thanks Dale, sounds like a good idea. However, buying an entire CD when you
only want one song seems like overkill. This technology needs to be torn
down and started all over again. It will be a cold day in hell when I buy
on-line music again. Fool me once ....

"Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message
> An attorney would be the best way to pursue recovering your licenses.
> This is going to take a class-action suit.
>
> File complaints with the Better Business Bureau. File complaints with
> your own state Attorney General's office if you live in the United States.
> Many states have laws absolutely requiring companies to respond to
> complaints made to the Attorney General's office. File complaints with
> the state Attorney General's office in the headquarters state of AOL.
>
> Any time you buy music online your use of that music is fully dependent on
> the whim or the fortunes of the companies from which you paid for the
> music. Even Microsoft has shut down its MSN Music (though the license
> servers are still available - for now, but not forever). Buying online
> music with DRM is never a good idea. I suggest buying music on physical
> CDs only and ripping those CDs to MP3 only and playing them on a Windows
> XP SP2 (and no more updates afterwards) computer, or earlier OS, that is
> completely disconnected from the Internet. And even then, disable
> auto-notification on your CD drive and never ever look at premium content
> on CDs. That premium content can, and has in the past, been used to
> install malware on customers' PCs in order to limit their ability to
> fair-use rights to their music.
>
> Dale
>

> "Doc1973" <jbourn@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I share your pain. Is there anyone out there that has been successful in
>>recovering or receiving re-issues of these licenses from these companies?
>>

>> "Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> wrote in
>> message news045D5FB-F258-43FC-9837-CA710A9E707E@microsoft.com...
>>>I doubt there is any way to get your licenses back. I have lost a lot of
>>>music due to the fragility of DRM and upgrades to my PC including the
>>>upgrade to Vista. Whenever I buy downloaded music now I use a program WMA
>>>Convert http://www.wma-convert.com/, which saves a non-protected copy of
>>>each file. I store these files as a protection against any future loss of
>>>DRM licenses. You only get 3 re-downloads of licenses with most suppliers
>>>anyway.
>>>
>>> Mike Bernstein

Mike Bernstein

Re: DRM and Purchased Music in Vista
MSN Music is very much alive and well, at least in the UK. I never the less
understand your sentiment about this (DRM is too one sided) and that is why
I now produce an unprotected copy (no DRM) of any purchased and downloaded
music. I play the DRM copy until, for whatever reason, I loose the license
and then switch to the unprotected copy (I have, of course already burned
several CDs from the original DRM files).

Mike Bernstein

"Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message
> An attorney would be the best way to pursue recovering your licenses.
> This is going to take a class-action suit.
>
> File complaints with the Better Business Bureau. File complaints with
> your own state Attorney General's office if you live in the United States.
> Many states have laws absolutely requiring companies to respond to
> complaints made to the Attorney General's office. File complaints with
> the state Attorney General's office in the headquarters state of AOL.
>
> Any time you buy music online your use of that music is fully dependent on
> the whim or the fortunes of the companies from which you paid for the
> music. Even Microsoft has shut down its MSN Music (though the license
> servers are still available - for now, but not forever). Buying online
> music with DRM is never a good idea. I suggest buying music on physical
> CDs only and ripping those CDs to MP3 only and playing them on a Windows
> XP SP2 (and no more updates afterwards) computer, or earlier OS, that is
> completely disconnected from the Internet. And even then, disable
> auto-notification on your CD drive and never ever look at premium content
> on CDs. That premium content can, and has in the past, been used to
> install malware on customers' PCs in order to limit their ability to
> fair-use rights to their music.
>
> Dale
>

> "Doc1973" <jbourn@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I share your pain. Is there anyone out there that has been successful in
>>recovering or receiving re-issues of these licenses from these companies?
>>

>> "Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> wrote in
>> message news045D5FB-F258-43FC-9837-CA710A9E707E@microsoft.com...
>>>I doubt there is any way to get your licenses back. I have lost a lot of
>>>music due to the fragility of DRM and upgrades to my PC including the
>>>upgrade to Vista. Whenever I buy downloaded music now I use a program WMA
>>>Convert http://www.wma-convert.com/, which saves a non-protected copy of
>>>each file. I store these files as a protection against any future loss of
>>>DRM licenses. You only get 3 re-downloads of licenses with most suppliers
>>>anyway.
>>>
>>> Mike Bernstein

Doc1973

Re: DRM and Purchased Music in Vista
Mike, appreciate your input. It is just another example of how much this is
broke when you have to go to these lengths to avoid getting burned down the
road.

> MSN Music is very much alive and well, at least in the UK. I never the
> less understand your sentiment about this (DRM is too one sided) and that
> is why I now produce an unprotected copy (no DRM) of any purchased and
> downloaded music. I play the DRM copy until, for whatever reason, I loose
> the license and then switch to the unprotected copy (I have, of course
> already burned several CDs from the original DRM files).
>
> Mike Bernstein
>
> "Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message
>> An attorney would be the best way to pursue recovering your licenses.
>> This is going to take a class-action suit.
>>
>> File complaints with the Better Business Bureau. File complaints with
>> your own state Attorney General's office if you live in the United
>> States. Many states have laws absolutely requiring companies to respond
>> to complaints made to the Attorney General's office. File complaints
>> with the state Attorney General's office in the headquarters state of
>> AOL.
>>
>> Any time you buy music online your use of that music is fully dependent
>> on the whim or the fortunes of the companies from which you paid for the
>> music. Even Microsoft has shut down its MSN Music (though the license
>> servers are still available - for now, but not forever). Buying online
>> music with DRM is never a good idea. I suggest buying music on physical
>> CDs only and ripping those CDs to MP3 only and playing them on a Windows
>> XP SP2 (and no more updates afterwards) computer, or earlier OS, that is
>> completely disconnected from the Internet. And even then, disable
>> auto-notification on your CD drive and never ever look at premium content
>> on CDs. That premium content can, and has in the past, been used to
>> install malware on customers' PCs in order to limit their ability to
>> fair-use rights to their music.
>>
>> Dale
>>

>> "Doc1973" <jbourn@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>I share your pain. Is there anyone out there that has been successful in
>>>recovering or receiving re-issues of these licenses from these companies?
>>>

>>> "Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> wrote in
>>> message news045D5FB-F258-43FC-9837-CA710A9E707E@microsoft.com...

Dale

Re: DRM and Purchased Music in Vista
I agree with you about the technology. Until they come up with a standard
so that you can use your music across players and computers and even across
media providers, DRM just is not ready for prime time.

There is an advantage to buying the whole CD, though. You might discover
whole new worlds of music by buying the CD that you'd never discover by
listening to artists only on a top-40 station and only buying those tracks.
One of my favorite artists is Billy Swan. He was pretty much a one-hit
wonder in the 70's but when I bought the CD to get the one track I wanted, I
discovered great talent and now I buy everything of his I can get.

Dale

> Thanks Dale, sounds like a good idea. However, buying an entire CD when
> you only want one song seems like overkill. This technology needs to be
> torn down and started all over again. It will be a cold day in hell when
> I buy on-line music again. Fool me once ....
>

> "Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message
>> An attorney would be the best way to pursue recovering your licenses.
>> This is going to take a class-action suit.
>>
>> File complaints with the Better Business Bureau. File complaints with
>> your own state Attorney General's office if you live in the United
>> States. Many states have laws absolutely requiring companies to respond
>> to complaints made to the Attorney General's office. File complaints
>> with the state Attorney General's office in the headquarters state of
>> AOL.
>>
>> Any time you buy music online your use of that music is fully dependent
>> on the whim or the fortunes of the companies from which you paid for the
>> music. Even Microsoft has shut down its MSN Music (though the license
>> servers are still available - for now, but not forever). Buying online
>> music with DRM is never a good idea. I suggest buying music on physical
>> CDs only and ripping those CDs to MP3 only and playing them on a Windows
>> XP SP2 (and no more updates afterwards) computer, or earlier OS, that is
>> completely disconnected from the Internet. And even then, disable
>> auto-notification on your CD drive and never ever look at premium content
>> on CDs. That premium content can, and has in the past, been used to
>> install malware on customers' PCs in order to limit their ability to
>> fair-use rights to their music.
>>
>> Dale
>>

>> "Doc1973" <jbourn@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>I share your pain. Is there anyone out there that has been successful in
>>>recovering or receiving re-issues of these licenses from these companies?
>>>

>>> "Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> wrote in
>>> message news045D5FB-F258-43FC-9837-CA710A9E707E@microsoft.com...

Dale

> Mike, appreciate your input. It is just another example of how much this
> is broke when you have to go to these lengths to avoid getting burned down
> the road.

And to keep from losing even more quality than what you lost by buying an
MP3 in the first place, you'd have to rip your burned CD as a wav or
lossless file forever more once you lose that license.

Losing licenses is a known and documented issue in Windows Media Player 11
as evidenced by its inclusion in the "Known Issues" section of the Windows
Media Player 11 readme.

Dale

MICHAEL

"Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message news:%23wski7%23ZHHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> "Doc1973" <jbourn@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Mike, appreciate your input. It is just another example of how much this
>> is broke when you have to go to these lengths to avoid getting burned down
>> the road.

> And to keep from losing even more quality than what you lost by buying an
> MP3 in the first place, you'd have to rip your burned CD as a wav or
> lossless file forever more once you lose that license.
>
> Losing licenses is a known and documented issue in Windows Media Player 11
> as evidenced by its inclusion in the "Known Issues" section of the Windows
> Media Player 11 readme.

Don't get me started, again. ;-)

Where have you been, Dale? Haven't seen you in the
vista.general group.

-Michael