USB-Audio Driver (w. BOSE Companion 5)

Oti

Re: USB-Audio Driver (w. BOSE Companion 5)
I have an HP Blackbird with a Bose Companion 5 USB sound system, and although
the speakers work well, the microphone does not work when plugged in through
the Bose system. In fact, the Bose audio input device does not show up under
"Recording" when I go to the "Manage Audio Devices" window, although the
speakers do show up under "Playback".

My drivers for Bose are up to date, and all my Windows updates are
installed. Any ideas?

"Paulo" wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have done some 'in deep' test , and .... the bose hardware system was
> faulty , so I had to return them to manufacturer .... they just work for a
> couple of hours ..even for Windows XP ( I have done some test on mu
> professional laptop ...) ..
>
> So this this is It for me ... Will come back when they will come back ...
>
> Peter ...
>
> "snowcrash" wrote:
>

> > Hi, reviving this as it seems to be the best forum for my query. I'm
> > planning on getting a Bose Companion 5 but have some MAJOR reservations
> > given the problems listed above.
> >
> > The only reason I've NOT completely dropped the idea is because the USB
> > problem above seems to be on PCs running Vista 64bit. As I'm running
> > Vista Home Premium 32bit, does that mean this should not be an issue, ie
> > is it fully compatible under Vista 32bit?
> >
> > Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I'm very impressed with the
> > speakers, but don't want to get them if they're gonna be so incompatible
> > with Vista....
> >

> > --
> > snowcrash

tido1322

Re: USB-Audio Driver (w. BOSE Companion 5)
I confirm the same or similar problem happening using Bose Companion 5 USB
speakers on Vista-SP1 x86 32bit edition.

The problem is best described as intermittent stuttering, from mostly minor
but always present, to sometimes strong 'dropouts', a few times loosing the
USB connection alltogether. Sounds a bit like my tapedeck sounded many years
ago with a dirty tape.

I tried to find any offending driver or anything that could interfere with
the audio driver to no avail. The Vista installation is clean and up-to-date
w. regard Microsoft updates. Disabled the built-in AC97 soundchip in the
Bios, removed all sound related drivers. Removed all special codecs. The
speakers are connected directly to a USB 2.0 port without a hub.

I then tried the Companion 5 speakers under Windows-XP SP2 and Ubuntu Linux
on the same PC hardware (multiboot). Under both these Operating Systems the
Companion 5 speakers perform flawless USB audio, no installation problems of
any kind, no stuttering of any kind, just very perfect sound.

Next I tried an external Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX USB card on Vista,
connecting it with stereo cable to the line input on the Bose speakers. No
stuttering whatsoever occured. Only this way you loose the 5.1 audio, and it
is not so nice looking, since the line input is on the desktop volume control
hockey puck. So the Audigy USB card was able to do good non stuttering USB
audio on Vista!

As far as I can tell the stuttering really is a Vista / Bose specific USB
Audio driver problem.

It seems that the API for the USB audio driver has changed slightly under
Vista as compared to XP, and the driver must actively request / configure
realtime performance from the MSWMM subsystem.

Hoping Bose or Microsoft will release a USB audio driver fix very soon now.

"snowcrash" wrote:

> Hi, reviving this as it seems to be the best forum for my query. I'm
> planning on getting a Bose Companion 5 but have some MAJOR reservations
> given the problems listed above.
>
> The only reason I've NOT completely dropped the idea is because the USB
> problem above seems to be on PCs running Vista 64bit. As I'm running
> Vista Home Premium 32bit, does that mean this should not be an issue, ie
> is it fully compatible under Vista 32bit?
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I'm very impressed with the
> speakers, but don't want to get them if they're gonna be so incompatible
> with Vista....
>

> --
> snowcrash

denvermorgan2000

Re: USB-Audio Driver (w. BOSE Companion 5)

Hi guys i might have a solution for the problem you are having with usb
sound
i have a roland edirol external sound card and nobody could
help me get to work acer or roland it would pop and crackle all the
time
so i got desperate i plugged in a self powered usb hub just the cheap
kind
and my problem went away i think you should try it i think it worked
by forcing the computor to communicate with the device in a different
way
i hope this helps but only thing dont plug anything else in with the
hub at the same time could cause latency

--
denvermorgan2000
denvermorgan2000's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/denvermorgan2000.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

rdpzjr

Re: USB-Audio Driver (w. BOSE Companion 5)

I have the same trouble with Bose Companion 5's and Vista 64bit. At
random, Vista just drops my speakers and doesn't recognize them as a
viable hardware. I have to reboot as restarting doesn't seem to work.
Neither does unplugging and replugging the speakers. I happen to have a
cheap USB hub, so I plugged them in there as Denvermorgan suggested.
I'll see how long it takes before Vista drops them again. Thanks for the
suggestion.

--
rdpzjr
Patrik S

Re: USB-Audio Driver (w. BOSE Companion 5)
Try to set the performance on the system to either "performance" or
"powersave", using the default automatic setup may cause the problem !
--
regards
Patrik S -swe-

"rdpzjr" wrote:

> I have the same trouble with Bose Companion 5's and Vista 64bit. At
> random, Vista just drops my speakers and doesn't recognize them as a
> viable hardware. I have to reboot as restarting doesn't seem to work.
> Neither does unplugging and replugging the speakers. I happen to have a
> cheap USB hub, so I plugged them in there as Denvermorgan suggested.
> I'll see how long it takes before Vista drops them again. Thanks for the
> suggestion.
>

> --
> rdpzjr

magnitrauz

Re: USB-Audio Driver (w. BOSE Companion 5)

With Vista I have been getting stuttering as well, it would be very
annoying but now with Windows 7 I get no sound.. no driver found code
43. Has anyone got an update on a driver?

--
magnitrauz
magnitrauz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/153307.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-music-video/929358.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Elix

Re: USB-Audio Driver (w. BOSE Companion 5)

Registered here to post the solution! If you get code 43 try updating
drivers manually. You may use this if you're on Win7 x64 (put the
contents of the folder Bose USB Audio to Windows/system32 folder):
http://narod.ru/disk/15399231000/Bos...ivers.rar.html

If these files doesn't help (in case you're on a different OS), try
plugging your Companion 5 to another computer which runs on the same OS,
then go to Devices & Printers -> Bose USB Audio -> open properties. In
the second tab check files for drivers for each device. Basically, you
need to copy them to your computer.

--
Elix
Elix's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/158343.htm