Problem viewing some of my pictures in windows Explore

Asterix

Problem viewing some of my pictures in windows Explore
I have a problem watching som of my images with different types ofprograms.
This happens when I want to attach pictures to whatever I'm doing, i.e email,
Ebay Turbo lister, and similar. If I can see the picture using Windows
Explore I can attached it with out problems. I'm able to see all the
pictures with Windows Photo Gallery - no problem. 99% of my pictures are
edited with IrfanView 4.0 and are saved as .jpeg, .bit, and .gif. First I
thought it was only files I had transfered from my XP desktop with a USB
memory stick.

This is not the case. It happens even now with pictures I'm editing using
IrfanView on my laptop. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not.

I don't save my pictures in the default Windows picture folder - they are
mostly saved in the folder of the program the will be using the picture, such
as an picture folder in the Turbo Lister folder. I use Windows Explore a lot
to drag pictures from one folder to another if needed be.

Today I noticed a button on the Windows Explore which says: "Compatability
Files". When I move the pointer over the button it says: "Show the
compatability files for this directory". So, I clicked it and suddenly all
the pictures I couldn't find were there. The problem is that all the
pictures I could already see dissapered and so did the "Compatability Files
button". The only way I could get back to the previous pictures was usingv
the "Back" button. In both views there were files in different save format
and files edited both on my Vista laptop and my XP desktop - no special
pattern to this - some here, some there.

Either way I can't find the so called "Compatability Files" when I want to
use the pictures with different programs - I don't get an option to switch to
the "Compatability Files" when trying to attach them to whatever I'm doing.

Is there somewhere I can change some setting so I see the pictures all the
time with any program I use???????

Thanks for your time in reading this and if you have any suggestions they
are most welcome, since this is getting quite frustrating.

Asterix
Edward

Re: Problem viewing some of my pictures in windows Explore
Have you already tried to make a new map in documents and transfer your
photo's to that map? That worked for me.

"Asterix" <Asterix@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>I have a problem watching som of my images with different types ofprograms.
> This happens when I want to attach pictures to whatever I'm doing, i.e
> email,
> Ebay Turbo lister, and similar. If I can see the picture using Windows
> Explore I can attached it with out problems. I'm able to see all the
> pictures with Windows Photo Gallery - no problem. 99% of my pictures are
> edited with IrfanView 4.0 and are saved as .jpeg, .bit, and .gif. First I
> thought it was only files I had transfered from my XP desktop with a USB
> memory stick.

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Problem viewing some of my pictures in windows Explore
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pro gram Files

'AppData' normally has its hidden attribute set, so you'll need to set
explorer to show hidden files & folders.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"Asterix" <Asterix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem watching som of my images with different types ofprograms.
> This happens when I want to attach pictures to whatever I'm doing, i.e
> email,
> Ebay Turbo lister, and similar. If I can see the picture using Windows
> Explore I can attached it with out problems. I'm able to see all the
> pictures with Windows Photo Gallery - no problem. 99% of my pictures are
> edited with IrfanView 4.0 and are saved as .jpeg, .bit, and .gif. First I
> thought it was only files I had transfered from my XP desktop with a USB
> memory stick.
>
> This is not the case. It happens even now with pictures I'm editing using
> IrfanView on my laptop. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they are
> not.
>
> I don't save my pictures in the default Windows picture folder - they are
> mostly saved in the folder of the program the will be using the picture,
> such
> as an picture folder in the Turbo Lister folder. I use Windows Explore a
> lot
> to drag pictures from one folder to another if needed be.
>
> Today I noticed a button on the Windows Explore which says: "Compatability
> Files". When I move the pointer over the button it says: "Show the
> compatability files for this directory". So, I clicked it and suddenly all
> the pictures I couldn't find were there. The problem is that all the
> pictures I could already see dissapered and so did the "Compatability
> Files
> button". The only way I could get back to the previous pictures was usingv
> the "Back" button. In both views there were files in different save
> format
> and files edited both on my Vista laptop and my XP desktop - no special
> pattern to this - some here, some there.
>
> Either way I can't find the so called "Compatability Files" when I want to
> use the pictures with different programs - I don't get an option to switch
> the "Compatability Files" when trying to attach them to whatever I'm
> doing.
>
> Is there somewhere I can change some setting so I see the pictures all the
> time with any program I use???????
>
> Thanks for your time in reading this and if you have any suggestions they
> are most welcome, since this is getting quite frustrating.
>
> Asterix

Asterix

Re: Problem viewing some of my pictures in windows Explore
Hi,

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner to you look at your replies.

1. I have tried to copy a my pictures into the default picture folder in the
Vista system: Desktop\Owner\Pictures\..... I can see some of the pictures
but still divided as described earlier - so no luck with this procedure.

2. I also tried open this path with the Windows Explore:
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pro gram Files I can't find a
place to see the "Explore" program in this location or in any of the other
folders or sub-folders located in the virtualStore folder??? I does look
like the hidden attribute is unchecked in all the folders in this path so I'm
still at a loss.

Would it help if I got another type of "file explore" program and if so what
is some good programs to try.

Still need help very much situation, Thanks for your time with this problem.

"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

> C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pro gram Files
>
> 'AppData' normally has its hidden attribute set, so you'll need to set
> explorer to show hidden files & folders.
>
> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "Asterix" <Asterix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a problem watching som of my images with different types ofprograms.
> > This happens when I want to attach pictures to whatever I'm doing, i.e
> > email,
> > Ebay Turbo lister, and similar. If I can see the picture using Windows
> > Explore I can attached it with out problems. I'm able to see all the
> > pictures with Windows Photo Gallery - no problem. 99% of my pictures are
> > edited with IrfanView 4.0 and are saved as .jpeg, .bit, and .gif. First I
> > thought it was only files I had transfered from my XP desktop with a USB
> > memory stick.
> >
> > This is not the case. It happens even now with pictures I'm editing using
> > IrfanView on my laptop. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they are
> > not.
> >
> > I don't save my pictures in the default Windows picture folder - they are
> > mostly saved in the folder of the program the will be using the picture,
> > such
> > as an picture folder in the Turbo Lister folder. I use Windows Explore a
> > lot
> > to drag pictures from one folder to another if needed be.
> >
> > Today I noticed a button on the Windows Explore which says: "Compatability
> > Files". When I move the pointer over the button it says: "Show the
> > compatability files for this directory". So, I clicked it and suddenly all
> > the pictures I couldn't find were there. The problem is that all the
> > pictures I could already see dissapered and so did the "Compatability
> > Files
> > button". The only way I could get back to the previous pictures was usingv
> > the "Back" button. In both views there were files in different save
> > format
> > and files edited both on my Vista laptop and my XP desktop - no special
> > pattern to this - some here, some there.
> >
> > Either way I can't find the so called "Compatability Files" when I want to
> > use the pictures with different programs - I don't get an option to switch
> > the "Compatability Files" when trying to attach them to whatever I'm
> > doing.
> >
> > Is there somewhere I can change some setting so I see the pictures all the
> > time with any program I use???????
> >
> > Thanks for your time in reading this and if you have any suggestions they
> > are most welcome, since this is getting quite frustrating.
> >
> > Asterix

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Problem viewing some of my pictures in windows Explore
The crux of the problem is this:

>> > I don't save my pictures in the default Windows picture folder - they
>> > are
>> > mostly saved in the folder of the program the will be using the
>> > picture,
>> > such
>> > as an picture folder in the Turbo Lister folder.

Vista only allows installation programs to write files to 'C:\Program Files'
and its subfolders. Vista compliant programs are designed with this in
mind. When non-compliant programs attempt to write to one of these
locations, the files are actually written to:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pro gram Files

You only see the 'Compatibility Files' button when you are in the folder of
a program that has attempted to write to a protected location.

So if Turbo Lister is attempting to save to:

'C:\Program Files\Turbo Lister\Pictures'

The files will be written to:

'C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pr ogram Files\Turbo
Lister\Pictures'

Most programs allows you to modify the location where they save files.
You're best bet is to start saving files to a location within your User
folders or C:\ProgramData.

I really don't understand what you mean by:

> I can see some of the pictures
> but still divided as described earlier.

or

> I can't find a
> place to see the "Explore" program in this location...

There should be files & folders in this location, you're using Explorer to
view the files.