i can't view picture files on my picture cds

pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com

i can't view picture files on my picture cds
i am new to vista....I cannot view any picture files I previously saved on cd
roms. I do not have any problems using XP with the same disks. Help????
--
pcnewbie
Bob

Re: i can't view picture files on my picture cds
Error message?

--
[[[There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.]]]

pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com

Re: i can't view picture files on my picture cds
no none. It tells me that there are no files on the disk. However
properties tell otherwise.
--
pcnewbie

"Bob" wrote:

> Error message?
>
> "pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com"
> <pcnewbiediscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.micro soft.com> wrote in message
> >i am new to vista....I cannot view any picture files I previously saved on
> >cd
> > roms. I do not have any problems using XP with the same disks. Help????
> > --
> > pcnewbie

> --
> [[[There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.]]]

Bob F.

> no none. It tells me that there are no files on the disk. However
> properties tell otherwise.
> --
> pcnewbie
>

> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Error message?
>>
>> "pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com"
>> <pcnewbiediscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.micro soft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >i am new to vista....I cannot view any picture files I previously saved
>> >on
>> >cd
>> > roms. I do not have any problems using XP with the same disks.
>> > Help????
>> > --
>> > pcnewbie

>> --
>> [[[There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.]]]

When you removed the CD from you XP machine, did you do a final "burn" and
make sure your CD was closed?
BobF.

pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com

Re: i can't view picture files on my picture cds
Yes
--
pcnewbie

"Bob F." wrote:

> "pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com"
> <pcnewbiediscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.micro soft.com> wrote in message
> > no none. It tells me that there are no files on the disk. However
> > properties tell otherwise.
> > --
> > pcnewbie
> >

> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> Error message?
> >>
> >> "pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com"
> >> <pcnewbiediscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.micro soft.com> wrote in
> >> message
> >>
> >> --
> >> [[[There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.]]]
> >>

> When you removed the CD from you XP machine, did you do a final "burn" and
> make sure your CD was closed?
> BobF.

Bob F.

Re: i can't view picture files on my picture cds
Can you see the files on the CD and just not be able to open them? Can you
drag the files off the disk onto hard Drive space and open them. What files
are these? JPGs? Do you have an application on your new machine set to read
them?
BobF

> Yes
> --
> pcnewbie
>

> "Bob F." wrote:
>
>> "pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com"
>> <pcnewbiediscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.micro soft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > no none. It tells me that there are no files on the disk. However
>> > properties tell otherwise.
>> > --
>> > pcnewbie

>> When you removed the CD from you XP machine, did you do a final "burn"
>> and
>> make sure your CD was closed?
>> BobF.

pcnewbie

Re: i can't view picture files on my picture cds
I am not able to see any files, it tells me the disk is empty. They are Jpg
files and I am trying to open them using the explorer window and selecting
the E:/ drive. I can't even upload the photos using picture software
installed on my machine.
--
pcnewbie

"Bob F." wrote:

> Can you see the files on the CD and just not be able to open them? Can you
> drag the files off the disk onto hard Drive space and open them. What files
> are these? JPGs? Do you have an application on your new machine set to read
> them?
> BobF
>
> "pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com"
> <pcnewbiediscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.micro soft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes
> > --
> > pcnewbie
> >

> > "Bob F." wrote:
> >
> >> "pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com"
> >> <pcnewbiediscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.micro soft.com> wrote in
> >> message

> >> When you removed the CD from you XP machine, did you do a final "burn"
> >> and
> >> make sure your CD was closed?
> >> BobF.

Bob F.

Re: i can't view picture files on my picture cds
I just went back and checked some older disks I burned on my XP machine to
see if they look ok on my Vista machine...they look and work fine...so, what
did you burn these with? What application? Can you see them on another XP
machine? This is most likely not a Vista problem but a burn and move to a
(any) new machine problem. Need to rule that out somehow. How old are
these files (when was the CD made?). Oh and BTW what kind of CD is this,
CD-R, etc. and have you verified that your drive can read these. (some are
touchy).
BobF.

"pcnewbie" <pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am not able to see any files, it tells me the disk is empty. They are
>Jpg
> files and I am trying to open them using the explorer window and selecting
> the E:/ drive. I can't even upload the photos using picture software
> installed on my machine.
> --
> pcnewbie
>

> "Bob F." wrote:
>
>> Can you see the files on the CD and just not be able to open them? Can
>> you
>> drag the files off the disk onto hard Drive space and open them. What
>> files
>> are these? JPGs? Do you have an application on your new machine set to
>> read
>> them?
>> BobF
>>
>> "pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com"
>> <pcnewbiediscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.micro soft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Yes
>> > --
>> > pcnewbie

pcnewbie

Re: i can't view picture files on my picture cds
The disks used were both CD-R and DVD-R. I burned them by copying the files
from my C:/ drive and pasting them to my E:/ drive. I always make sure to
close the disk. Some are just recently burned, others possibly up to 1 1/2
yrs old.
How do I verify what type of disks my drive will read???
--
pcnewbie

"Bob F." wrote:

> I just went back and checked some older disks I burned on my XP machine to
> see if they look ok on my Vista machine...they look and work fine...so, what
> did you burn these with? What application? Can you see them on another XP
> machine? This is most likely not a Vista problem but a burn and move to a
> (any) new machine problem. Need to rule that out somehow. How old are
> these files (when was the CD made?). Oh and BTW what kind of CD is this,
> CD-R, etc. and have you verified that your drive can read these. (some are
> touchy).
> BobF.
>
> "pcnewbie" <pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am not able to see any files, it tells me the disk is empty. They are
> >Jpg
> > files and I am trying to open them using the explorer window and selecting
> > the E:/ drive. I can't even upload the photos using picture software
> > installed on my machine.
> > --
> > pcnewbie
> >

> > "Bob F." wrote:
> >
> >> Can you see the files on the CD and just not be able to open them? Can
> >> you
> >> drag the files off the disk onto hard Drive space and open them. What
> >> files
> >> are these? JPGs? Do you have an application on your new machine set to
> >> read
> >> them?
> >> BobF
> >>
> >> "pcnewbie@discussions.microsoft.com"
> >> <pcnewbiediscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.micro soft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Bob F.

Re: i can't view picture files on my picture cds
These are the same CD's I used. I don't see any problem with the rest of
what you said you did. Some I am now at a loss of what to tell you. I
would think that if you can burn and read the disk back on your own machine,
the CD's are good to use. One more thing. Is this a totally new machine,
one you bought with Vista already installed or is it the same hardware that
you upgraded? Can you make a disk on your Vista machine and read it on your
XP machines, if you have that hardware available, that is. Grasping for
straws here.