.WMV - Sound Yes, Video No

Lee in Michigan

.WMV - Sound Yes, Video No
There seems to be a problems with how Vista and WMP11 is looking at Video. I
can go to google video and play everything in XP WMP11 but in Vista I only
get sound. I have looked at many message boards and there are a lot of
people having this problem.
I have the most up to date version of WMP loaded, I had WMP check just now
and I am current.
Any idea's?

Thank you
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: .WMV - Sound Yes, Video No
Hi Lee,

The .WMV may be needing a Codec that your system does not have. See section "What codec do I need to play this file?" in this page:
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html

<quote>
FIRST STEP: VideoInspector should help you determine what codec you need
</quote>

--
Regards,

"Lee in Michigan" <Lee in Michigan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:849BBF2B-BF2E-4E63-A319-BBE8601ED0E6@microsoft.com...
There seems to be a problems with how Vista and WMP11 is looking at Video. I
can go to google video and play everything in XP WMP11 but in Vista I only
get sound. I have looked at many message boards and there are a lot of
people having this problem.
I have the most up to date version of WMP loaded, I had WMP check just now
and I am current.
Any idea's?

Thank you
zachd [MSFT]

Re: .WMV - Sound Yes, Video No

Happily, no, WMV files do not need any more codecs. This is not relevant
advice for Vista users. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Lee in Michigan" <Lee in Michigan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:849BBF2B-BF2E-4E63-A319-BBE8601ED0E6@microsoft.com...
There seems to be a problems with how Vista and WMP11 is looking at Video.
can go to google video and play everything in XP WMP11 but in Vista I only
get sound. I have looked at many message boards and there are a lot of
people having this problem.
I have the most up to date version of WMP loaded, I had WMP check just now
and I am current.
Any idea's?

Thank you

zachd [MSFT]

Re: .WMV - Sound Yes, Video No

What video card do you have?
What video card driver version are you using?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Lee in Michigan" <Lee in Michigan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:849BBF2B-BF2E-4E63-A319-BBE8601ED0E6@microsoft.com...
> There seems to be a problems with how Vista and WMP11 is looking at Video.
> can go to google video and play everything in XP WMP11 but in Vista I only
> get sound. I have looked at many message boards and there are a lot of
> people having this problem.
> I have the most up to date version of WMP loaded, I had WMP check just now
> and I am current.
> Any idea's?
>
> Thank you

Lee in Michigan

Re: .WMV - Sound Yes, Video No
This is an Acer laptop, Intel 965 Express, driver version 7.14.10.1350.
According to everything I can find it is the most current for my machine. I
even did the Microsoft update check and it claims I have the best version for
my machine.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> What video card do you have?
> What video card driver version are you using?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Lee in Michigan" <Lee in Michigan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:849BBF2B-BF2E-4E63-A319-BBE8601ED0E6@microsoft.com...
> > There seems to be a problems with how Vista and WMP11 is looking at Video.
> > can go to google video and play everything in XP WMP11 but in Vista I only
> > get sound. I have looked at many message boards and there are a lot of
> > people having this problem.
> > I have the most up to date version of WMP loaded, I had WMP check just now
> > and I am current.
> > Any idea's?
> >
> > Thank you

zachd [MSFT]

Re: .WMV - Sound Yes, Video No

If you check for a driver update on the Intel site, I suspect you might find
happiness. I've heard a number of people pointing this problem out, with
the same "update to newer drivers" resolution.

--
Speaking for myself only.

> This is an Acer laptop, Intel 965 Express, driver version 7.14.10.1350.
> According to everything I can find it is the most current for my machine.
> even did the Microsoft update check and it claims I have the best version
> for
> my machine.
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> What video card do you have?
>> What video card driver version are you using?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "Lee in Michigan" <Lee in Michigan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:849BBF2B-BF2E-4E63-A319-BBE8601ED0E6@microsoft.com...
>> > There seems to be a problems with how Vista and WMP11 is looking at
>> > Video.
>> > can go to google video and play everything in XP WMP11 but in Vista I
>> > only
>> > get sound. I have looked at many message boards and there are a lot of
>> > people having this problem.
>> > I have the most up to date version of WMP loaded, I had WMP check just
>> > now
>> > and I am current.
>> > Any idea's?
>> >
>> > Thank you

Rob Tillotson

Re: .WMV - Sound Yes, Video No
Hey Lee,
I think you had a similar problem to what I had. I first got a new laptop
at the start of the new year (Hewlett Packard dv9500z i believe) and I had
the same issue. It would play the sound but no video was displayed. Is
this occuring in just WMP or does this happen in other players you have
tried (ie: DivX, Intervideo) When I had this issue, it displayed a white
box and the sound played but no images were displayed. Most likely, it has
to do with the way they setup your computer (factory settings and such). I
tried installing multiple codecs with no luck. Turns out, the HP people
must not have installed my video driver in the correct way, or something
happened when they were installing all of the software after the hardware
had been installed by the factory. I ended up taking matters into my own
hands after talks with tech support and such. I just re-loaded all of
Windows Vista and then downloaded the vista codec (google this to find
it...sorry I don't have the direct link) Turned out that this worked great!
Now I can play all of my movies and dvd's with no problems! Hope this
helps!

-Rob

"Lee in Michigan" <Lee in Michigan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:849BBF2B-BF2E-4E63-A319-BBE8601ED0E6@microsoft.com...
> There seems to be a problems with how Vista and WMP11 is looking at Video.
> can go to google video and play everything in XP WMP11 but in Vista I only
> get sound. I have looked at many message boards and there are a lot of
> people having this problem.
> I have the most up to date version of WMP loaded, I had WMP check just now
> and I am current.
> Any idea's?
>
> Thank you

Joe in Philadelphia

RE: .WMV - Sound Yes, Video No
I had the same problem on Vista 64 Home Premium edition. I had sound but no
video (white box appeared). It began immediately after Windows update
applied security patches. It appeared to corrupt some media player files.
Instead of reinstalling windows as I have seen on some message boards, I
went to Control Panel, Programs and features, clicked View Installed Updates
and uninstalled Service Pack For Microsoft Windows (KB936330). Once the SP
was uninstalled, it appeared to correct the corruption by reverting media
player to a previous version. I then ran windows update to reapply SP1.
Since then everything works fine. I wish they would create a reinstall
program specifically for Media player for vista (XP version didn't work). It
would be a lot easier. I hope this helps you. It worked for me.