Vista firewire problems

CCT

Vista firewire problems
I am trying to download video from my Sony TRV-310 handicam using firewire to
my new Vista laptop. Vista does not see my camera. However when I plug the
same camera and firewire cable into an older computer with XP sp2, it works
fine. This is very perplexing. I've seen others with the same problem though
with different camcorders and no one seems to have an answer. Is there anyway
to convince vista that my vid cam is out there? I have looked at the Sony
site and they indicate that it will work without any additional drivers. This
doesn't bode well for Vista if it can't make a simple firewire connection.
Any advice is greatly welcomed.
Jason

Re: Vista firewire problems
I have the same basic problem, But I was able to connect it ONCE. after that
it wouldn't pick it any more.

Graham Hughes

Re: Vista firewire problems
check with another piece of firewire connected equipment such as an external
drive etc to see if the port on the laptop is actually working.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"CCT" <CCT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to download video from my Sony TRV-310 handicam using firewire
> my new Vista laptop. Vista does not see my camera. However when I plug the
> same camera and firewire cable into an older computer with XP sp2, it
> works
> fine. This is very perplexing. I've seen others with the same problem
> though
> with different camcorders and no one seems to have an answer. Is there
> anyway
> to convince vista that my vid cam is out there? I have looked at the Sony
> site and they indicate that it will work without any additional drivers.
> This
> doesn't bode well for Vista if it can't make a simple firewire connection.
> Any advice is greatly welcomed.

CCT

Re: Vista firewire problems
I have checked the port. This seems to be a common problem with Vista. I may
just decide to go back to XP. Or I may just go with Apple. Microsoft seems to
be completely arrogant in regards to common user problems. There is nothing
in the knowledge base about this and yet I have found over 200 others with
the same issue. Vista is the problem!

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> check with another piece of firewire connected equipment such as an external
> drive etc to see if the port on the laptop is actually working.
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "CCT" <CCT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to download video from my Sony TRV-310 handicam using firewire
> > my new Vista laptop. Vista does not see my camera. However when I plug the
> > same camera and firewire cable into an older computer with XP sp2, it
> > works
> > fine. This is very perplexing. I've seen others with the same problem
> > though
> > with different camcorders and no one seems to have an answer. Is there
> > anyway
> > to convince vista that my vid cam is out there? I have looked at the Sony
> > site and they indicate that it will work without any additional drivers.
> > This
> > doesn't bode well for Vista if it can't make a simple firewire connection.
> > Any advice is greatly welcomed.

Graham Hughes

Re: Vista firewire problems
You checked the port and what?
It worked with something else?
It didn't work with something else?
What was the something else? As another cam isn't a good test.
The port works fine if you roll back to XP?
200 sounds a lot, and I'm in no way defending MS, but they've no doubt sold
millions of copies of vista so as a percentage it is very very few people.
If Vista is the problem, what is the problem?
I've beta tested vista for some time before it was released and in no
version have I had any problem with my firewire connection, I have two pcs a
laptop and 5 different firewire connected peripherals.
You may notice that Sony call the "firewire" port I-link. This is because
they use protocols which differ from the firewire standard, maybe it is
Sony's fault, as it was when MS upgraded their confirmation with the
IEEE1394 standards when SP2 was released. This of course caused many cams to
stop working, Canon suffering most, but of course it was MS's fault......
not Canon's for not following the standard carefully enough when installing
the firmware in the cam

Not trying to throw blame, just giving you info that may be of use in
understanding.

--

>I have checked the port. This seems to be a common problem with Vista. I
>may
> just decide to go back to XP. Or I may just go with Apple. Microsoft seems
> be completely arrogant in regards to common user problems. There is
> nothing
> in the knowledge base about this and yet I have found over 200 others with
> the same issue. Vista is the problem!
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> check with another piece of firewire connected equipment such as an
>> external
>> drive etc to see if the port on the laptop is actually working.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>

>> "CCT" <CCT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to download video from my Sony TRV-310 handicam using
>> >firewire
>> > my new Vista laptop. Vista does not see my camera. However when I plug
>> > the
>> > same camera and firewire cable into an older computer with XP sp2, it
>> > works
>> > fine. This is very perplexing. I've seen others with the same problem
>> > though
>> > with different camcorders and no one seems to have an answer. Is there
>> > anyway
>> > to convince vista that my vid cam is out there? I have looked at the
>> > Sony
>> > site and they indicate that it will work without any additional
>> > drivers.
>> > This
>> > doesn't bode well for Vista if it can't make a simple firewire
>> > connection.
>> > Any advice is greatly welcomed.

nick

Re: Vista firewire problems
Hi,

by going trough the same issue with my camcorder, and reading lot of same
posts all over google search.
I have been working with MS operating system since 6 years. After the
rubbish Microsoft millenium which convince a lot of people starting pirating
or migrating to the excellent APPLE OS, I would say: if anyone get in
troubles with vista try LINUX live cd, it would solve lot of problems. FREE
and well updated.

To my opinion, vista is a good OS but still developped under marketing rules
.... MS should look after cust complains and make an effort to provide better
services.

nick

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> You checked the port and what?
> It worked with something else?
> It didn't work with something else?
> What was the something else? As another cam isn't a good test.
> The port works fine if you roll back to XP?
> 200 sounds a lot, and I'm in no way defending MS, but they've no doubt sold
> millions of copies of vista so as a percentage it is very very few people.
> If Vista is the problem, what is the problem?
> I've beta tested vista for some time before it was released and in no
> version have I had any problem with my firewire connection, I have two pcs a
> laptop and 5 different firewire connected peripherals.
> You may notice that Sony call the "firewire" port I-link. This is because
> they use protocols which differ from the firewire standard, maybe it is
> Sony's fault, as it was when MS upgraded their confirmation with the
> IEEE1394 standards when SP2 was released. This of course caused many cams to
> stop working, Canon suffering most, but of course it was MS's fault......
> not Canon's for not following the standard carefully enough when installing
> the firmware in the cam
>
> Not trying to throw blame, just giving you info that may be of use in
> understanding.
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "CCT" <CCT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have checked the port. This seems to be a common problem with Vista. I
> >may
> > just decide to go back to XP. Or I may just go with Apple. Microsoft seems
> > be completely arrogant in regards to common user problems. There is
> > nothing
> > in the knowledge base about this and yet I have found over 200 others with
> > the same issue. Vista is the problem!
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> >> check with another piece of firewire connected equipment such as an
> >> external
> >> drive etc to see if the port on the laptop is actually working.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Graham Hughes
> >> MVP Digital Media
> >> www.myvideoproblems.com

THF

Re: Vista firewire problems
I have the same issue. Vista is highly inconsistent at recognizing hardware
connections by firewire. One day it worked, the next time I plugged in my
camcorder it did not work. Nothing had changed. Nothing is broken. IT'S VISTA.

I don't know who the person is who says he's beta tested Vista and there
aren't any problems, but he is DEAD WRONG.

"nick" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> by going trough the same issue with my camcorder, and reading lot of same
> posts all over google search.
> I have been working with MS operating system since 6 years. After the
> rubbish Microsoft millenium which convince a lot of people starting pirating
> or migrating to the excellent APPLE OS, I would say: if anyone get in
> troubles with vista try LINUX live cd, it would solve lot of problems. FREE
> and well updated.
>
> To my opinion, vista is a good OS but still developped under marketing rules
> ... MS should look after cust complains and make an effort to provide better
> services.
>
> nick
>

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > You checked the port and what?
> > It worked with something else?
> > It didn't work with something else?
> > What was the something else? As another cam isn't a good test.
> > The port works fine if you roll back to XP?
> > 200 sounds a lot, and I'm in no way defending MS, but they've no doubt sold
> > millions of copies of vista so as a percentage it is very very few people.
> > If Vista is the problem, what is the problem?
> > I've beta tested vista for some time before it was released and in no
> > version have I had any problem with my firewire connection, I have two pcs a
> > laptop and 5 different firewire connected peripherals.
> > You may notice that Sony call the "firewire" port I-link. This is because
> > they use protocols which differ from the firewire standard, maybe it is
> > Sony's fault, as it was when MS upgraded their confirmation with the
> > IEEE1394 standards when SP2 was released. This of course caused many cams to
> > stop working, Canon suffering most, but of course it was MS's fault......
> > not Canon's for not following the standard carefully enough when installing
> > the firmware in the cam
> >
> > Not trying to throw blame, just giving you info that may be of use in
> > understanding.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.myvideoproblems.com
> >

> > "CCT" <CCT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have checked the port. This seems to be a common problem with Vista. I
> > >may
> > > just decide to go back to XP. Or I may just go with Apple. Microsoft seems
> > > be completely arrogant in regards to common user problems. There is
> > > nothing
> > > in the knowledge base about this and yet I have found over 200 others with
> > > the same issue. Vista is the problem!

shako

RE: Vista firewire problems
eey man

I have the same problem, but i only work with audio, ive just bougth core 2
duo vista , and i put my controller into the pc and it doesnt eaven reconized
at al..
Can you help me, how did you fix your problem?

Greets

"CCT" wrote:

> I am trying to download video from my Sony TRV-310 handicam using firewire to
> my new Vista laptop. Vista does not see my camera. However when I plug the
> same camera and firewire cable into an older computer with XP sp2, it works
> fine. This is very perplexing. I've seen others with the same problem though
> with different camcorders and no one seems to have an answer. Is there anyway
> to convince vista that my vid cam is out there? I have looked at the Sony
> site and they indicate that it will work without any additional drivers. This
> doesn't bode well for Vista if it can't make a simple firewire connection.
> Any advice is greatly welcomed.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Vista firewire problems

Is the controller not recognized or is the camera not recognized? My Sony
HDR-HC3 works fine via firewire on my Vista PC...

--
Speaking for myself only.
"shako" <shako@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> eey man
>
> I have the same problem, but i only work with audio, ive just bougth core
> 2
> duo vista , and i put my controller into the pc and it doesnt eaven
> reconized
> at al..
> Can you help me, how did you fix your problem?
>
> Greets
>
> "CCT" wrote:
>
>> I am trying to download video from my Sony TRV-310 handicam using
>> firewire to
>> my new Vista laptop. Vista does not see my camera. However when I plug
>> the
>> same camera and firewire cable into an older computer with XP sp2, it
>> works
>> fine. This is very perplexing. I've seen others with the same problem
>> though
>> with different camcorders and no one seems to have an answer. Is there
>> anyway
>> to convince vista that my vid cam is out there? I have looked at the Sony
>> site and they indicate that it will work without any additional drivers.
>> This
>> doesn't bode well for Vista if it can't make a simple firewire
>> connection.
>> Any advice is greatly welcomed.

Rich

Re: Vista firewire problems
I have Windows Vista and a new camcorder (PV-GS90P-S) and it doesn't work
with bloody Vista. It works fine with XP. Actually, it worked once and I
restarted my computer and it stopped working. So it is not the cable, not the
IEEE port, not the camcorder and not me. Vista has done something to
inactivate the camcorder.

I knew I should have bought a Mac...next time I will.