Can't play CD's and DVD's

Johnno

Can't play CD's and DVD's
I have an Acer Aspire 5610 running vista, which was upgraded from XP. No
problems were encountered during installation. I was able to play cd's and
dvd's, until a week ago. Since then I insert a disc and nothing happens, I
click on Media Player 11 and it prompts me to place a disc in drive E: When I
click on "My Computer" the drive is there but a red circle with a diagonal
red line through it appears on top. I have tried uninstalling and
reinstalling the drive etc. Still no joy.
Any ideas
--
CSJ
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Can't play CD's and DVD's

Does it work at all in Explorer, let alone the player?

This sounds like a drive failure.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Johnno" <johnno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Acer Aspire 5610 running vista, which was upgraded from XP. No
> problems were encountered during installation. I was able to play cd's and
> dvd's, until a week ago. Since then I insert a disc and nothing happens, I
> click on Media Player 11 and it prompts me to place a disc in drive E:
> When I
> click on "My Computer" the drive is there but a red circle with a diagonal
> red line through it appears on top. I have tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling the drive etc. Still no joy.
> Any ideas
> --
> CSJ

Johnno

Re: Can't play CD's and DVD's

-- Thanks Zachd, I will check the WMP info as soon as.
I can't believe it is a drive failure, as I hardly use it (main usage is via
my PC).

I use a collectorz system that reads discs so I can build up a music
collection. When I now insert a disc nothing happens because the disc won't
scan.
Also, I installed real player just to see if that worked, but it did not.
What is strange though, is I haven't received any error messages, also when
I click on properties for the drive, I'm told it is working ok
CSJ

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> Does it work at all in Explorer, let alone the player?
>
> This sounds like a drive failure.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Johnno" <johnno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an Acer Aspire 5610 running vista, which was upgraded from XP. No
> > problems were encountered during installation. I was able to play cd's and
> > dvd's, until a week ago. Since then I insert a disc and nothing happens, I
> > click on Media Player 11 and it prompts me to place a disc in drive E:
> > When I
> > click on "My Computer" the drive is there but a red circle with a diagonal
> > red line through it appears on top. I have tried uninstalling and
> > reinstalling the drive etc. Still no joy.
> > Any ideas
> > --
> > CSJ

Wiley C

Re: Can't play CD's and DVD's
Johnno:
If you mean that you are at a tab "general" that states "this device is
working properly" the message has little basis with reality. It means that a
device driver is installed, with which Windows is happy. I can install a
device driver for a dial up modem and have the same message, even if there is
NO modem installed."

I agree with Zach that the problem is likely hardware. Work your way
through this article.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321641

WC

"Johnno" wrote:

> -- Thanks Zachd, I will check the WMP info as soon as.
> I can't believe it is a drive failure, as I hardly use it (main usage is via
> my PC).
>
> I use a collectorz system that reads discs so I can build up a music
> collection. When I now insert a disc nothing happens because the disc won't
> scan.
> Also, I installed real player just to see if that worked, but it did not.
> What is strange though, is I haven't received any error messages, also when
> I click on properties for the drive, I'm told it is working ok
> CSJ
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

> > Does it work at all in Explorer, let alone the player?
> >
> > This sounds like a drive failure.
> >
> > --
> > Speaking for myself only.
> > See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> > --
> >
> > "Johnno" <johnno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have an Acer Aspire 5610 running vista, which was upgraded from XP. No
> > > problems were encountered during installation. I was able to play cd's and
> > > dvd's, until a week ago. Since then I insert a disc and nothing happens, I
> > > click on Media Player 11 and it prompts me to place a disc in drive E:
> > > When I
> > > click on "My Computer" the drive is there but a red circle with a diagonal
> > > red line through it appears on top. I have tried uninstalling and
> > > reinstalling the drive etc. Still no joy.
> > > Any ideas
> > > --
> > > CSJ

Tony_L

Re: Can't play CD's and DVD's

I have the same problem with my Acer Aspire 5610. Booted her up
yesterday morning, and it's denying me access to my removable storage -
dvd & usb drives. After searching on the web, this seems to be a
widespread Acer problem. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear
them.

--
Tony_L
Tony_L's Profile: http://camcorderanswers.com/member.php?userid=8312

http://camcorderanswers.com

Tony_L

Re: Can't play CD's and DVD's

Fixed mine, finally. The trick seems to be to run Acer's e-lock
program, lock all your drives, then unlock them.

If this doesn't work, (as it didn't for me, at first) this is how I got
mine to work:

1) Uninstall e-lock 2.x
2) Restart
3) Run a registry cleaner (google ccleaner)
4) Restart
5) Go to Acer's site and download an older version of e-lock 1.7.6.1.7
6) Install the older elock, run it. Lock all your drives. Now unlock
them.

Don't bother emailing Acer support - all they suggest for ANY problem
is restoring your computer to factory settings!

Good luck -Tony