WMP 11 & Codecs

Wiley C

WMP 11 & Codecs
Vista 32 bit Business
New Build
ASUS M2N - E motherboard
AMD AM2, 64 bit 4600+ CPU
2 x 1024 MB ram, 667 MHZ
XFX GeForce 8600GTS graphics card
Plextor DVD burners

When I tried to play a commercial DVD, Rocio Easy Media Creator 9's
CinePlayer popped up & played the DVD.

I closed CinePlayer & tried to use WMP11, but was informed that I should
change my dispaly settings to a lower quality, which I did.

WMP 11
tools > options > DVD
"advanced" is greyed out.

I uninstalled Roxio 9, to include CinePlayer.
Now, the "advanced" button is active, indicating that the codec, CineMaster
Audio decoder ver 4.1, is installed [ I think that is the indication ] but
still no success.

If I need to install a codec, or a codec pack, do I need to uninstall the
Roxio Codec? If so how?

I would like to have Roxio installed AND be able to play DVDs using WMP.

I can view some [ all that I have tried ] web based videos & hear the audio,
using WMP 11.

Thanks for your help.
zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP 11 & Codecs

Business doesn't include an MPEG2/DVD decoder, but you can use third party
decoders. So you're saying this worked previous to Roxio being installed?
You could set their MPEG2 filter merit to Unlikely or Do_Not_Use using a
filter management tool...

This is fairly advanced but can be done.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista 32 bit Business
> New Build
> ASUS M2N - E motherboard
> AMD AM2, 64 bit 4600+ CPU
> 2 x 1024 MB ram, 667 MHZ
> XFX GeForce 8600GTS graphics card
> Plextor DVD burners
>
> When I tried to play a commercial DVD, Rocio Easy Media Creator 9's
> CinePlayer popped up & played the DVD.
>
> I closed CinePlayer & tried to use WMP11, but was informed that I should
> change my dispaly settings to a lower quality, which I did.
>
> WMP 11
> tools > options > DVD
> "advanced" is greyed out.
>
> I uninstalled Roxio 9, to include CinePlayer.
> Now, the "advanced" button is active, indicating that the codec,
> CineMaster
> Audio decoder ver 4.1, is installed [ I think that is the indication ]
> but
> still no success.
>
> If I need to install a codec, or a codec pack, do I need to uninstall the
> Roxio Codec? If so how?
>
> I would like to have Roxio installed AND be able to play DVDs using WMP.
>
> I can view some [ all that I have tried ] web based videos & hear the
> audio,
> using WMP 11.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Wiley C

Re: WMP 11 & Codecs
Dear Zach:
Thanks for the reply.

I have seen some of your replies in other thread when I researched my issue,
and I have seen the page you referenced.

No, WMP 11 was unable to play DVDs before CinePlayer was installed.

I am not opposed to upgrading to Vista Ultimate. I am not opposed to
purchasing Codecs.

Do I need to uninstall the CinePlayer Audio codec before installing a Codec
pack? If so, how do I uninstall the CinePlayer audio codec?

Thanks for your help.

WC

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> Business doesn't include an MPEG2/DVD decoder, but you can use third party
> decoders. So you're saying this worked previous to Roxio being installed?
> You could set their MPEG2 filter merit to Unlikely or Do_Not_Use using a
> filter management tool...
>
> This is fairly advanced but can be done.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista 32 bit Business
> > New Build
> > ASUS M2N - E motherboard
> > AMD AM2, 64 bit 4600+ CPU
> > 2 x 1024 MB ram, 667 MHZ
> > XFX GeForce 8600GTS graphics card
> > Plextor DVD burners
> >
> > When I tried to play a commercial DVD, Rocio Easy Media Creator 9's
> > CinePlayer popped up & played the DVD.
> >
> > I closed CinePlayer & tried to use WMP11, but was informed that I should
> > change my dispaly settings to a lower quality, which I did.
> >
> > WMP 11
> > tools > options > DVD
> > "advanced" is greyed out.
> >
> > I uninstalled Roxio 9, to include CinePlayer.
> > Now, the "advanced" button is active, indicating that the codec,
> > CineMaster
> > Audio decoder ver 4.1, is installed [ I think that is the indication ]
> > but
> > still no success.
> >
> > If I need to install a codec, or a codec pack, do I need to uninstall the
> > Roxio Codec? If so how?
> >
> > I would like to have Roxio installed AND be able to play DVDs using WMP.
> >
> > I can view some [ all that I have tried ] web based videos & hear the
> > audio,
> > using WMP 11.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP 11 & Codecs

In that case, you probably need one of the Windows Vista DVD Decoder Plug-ins:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...spx#DVDDecoder

I don't know how the CinePlayer Audio codec registers itself. It may try to register itself to be used instead of the plug-in. It would probably be fairly easy to test this and remove it if needed. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.