Vista DVD incompatibility.

Michael

Vista DVD incompatibility.
My DVD's have always run problem-free until today. I bought a brand-new DVD
of a brand-new release and it won't run. I spent about an hour chatting with
HP and trying different things - the tech finally concluded the DVD was
incompatible with Vista. Any suggestions? Everything's current on the system.

--
Michael
John Inzer

Re: Vista DVD incompatibility.
Michael wrote:
> My DVD's have always run problem-free until today. I bought a
> brand-new DVD of a brand-new release and it won't run. I spent about
> an hour chatting with HP and trying different things - the tech
> finally concluded the DVD was incompatible with Vista. Any
> suggestions? Everything's current on the system.

=======================
Just as an experiment...it may be worth
your time to try the following freebie:

VLC media player
http://www.videolan.org/

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Graham Hughes

Re: Vista DVD incompatibility.
A dvd incompatible with Vista??????
Which version of vista are you using?
I assume all your other dvds play ok?
What is this dvd? It's not hd-dvd or blu ray is it?
Does it play on a normal dvd player?

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My DVD's have always run problem-free until today. I bought a brand-new
> DVD
> of a brand-new release and it won't run. I spent about an hour chatting
> with
> HP and trying different things - the tech finally concluded the DVD was
> incompatible with Vista. Any suggestions? Everything's current on the
> system.
>
> --
> Michael

Michael

Re: Vista DVD incompatibility.
Graham - Thanks for your reply. Not HD or blu ray, and all of my other DVD's
work just fine. I have Vista Home Premium and the DVD is Gone Baby Gone, a
new movie release as of a couple of days ago. I don't have a regular DVD
player - I watch them all on my PC. I've tried a total of four players -
WMP, Real, Winamp, and VLC. They all act the same, like I don't have a DVD in
the drive.
--
Michael

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> A dvd incompatible with Vista??????
> Which version of vista are you using?
> I assume all your other dvds play ok?
> What is this dvd? It's not hd-dvd or blu ray is it?
> Does it play on a normal dvd player?
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My DVD's have always run problem-free until today. I bought a brand-new
> > DVD
> > of a brand-new release and it won't run. I spent about an hour chatting
> > with
> > HP and trying different things - the tech finally concluded the DVD was
> > incompatible with Vista. Any suggestions? Everything's current on the
> > system.
> >
> > --
> > Michael

Michael

Re: Vista DVD incompatibility.
John - Thanks. I tried it but no luck.
--
Michael

Michael wrote:
> John - Thanks. I tried it but no luck.

====================
Oh...well...

You never know until you give it a try.

Michael wrote:
> Graham - Thanks for your reply. Not HD or blu ray, and all of my
> other DVD's work just fine. I have Vista Home Premium and the DVD is
> Gone Baby Gone, a new movie release as of a couple of days ago. I
> don't have a regular DVD player - I watch them all on my PC. I've
> tried a total of four players - WMP, Real, Winamp, and VLC. They all
> act the same, like I don't have a DVD in the drive.

==================================
I'm beginning to think you have a bad DVD.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Michael

Re: Vista DVD incompatibility.
John - Yes - I'll find out tomorrow when I have access to another computer.
--
Michael

Michael wrote:
> John - Yes - I'll find out tomorrow when I have access to another
> computer.

=======================
Try it in a regular DVD player also.

Let us know how it turns out.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Michael

Re: Vista DVD incompatibility.
Today I ran the movie on a box with XP - it auto-started and ran perfectly. I
didn't try it on a regular DVD player, but there's no point, not for me
anyway. Is it possible that this particular DVD could be bad, or that it
could have a problem with Vista?
--
Michael