Copying from one PC to a laptop using a flash drive

Dan

Copying from one PC to a laptop using a flash drive
I've copied 600 photos from a PC using Windows 2000 to a new laptop using
Vista Home Basic. The files were copied from the PC to a flash drive and then
to the laptop (to the "Pictures" directory). Trouble is, when this process
started all the photos had file names, and when they got to Vista all they
had was numbers (sequentially, from 1 to 597). The file names I'd given them
are nowhere to be found, and I'm hoping someone can tell me how to fix this
problem. Some of the files are very old and need the file namesw for anyone
to have any clue about who or what the photo is. Can anyone offer a solution?
Thanks.
John Inzer

Re: Copying from one PC to a laptop using a flash drive
Dan wrote:
> I've copied 600 photos from a PC using Windows 2000 to a new laptop
> using Vista Home Basic. The files were copied from the PC to a flash
> drive and then to the laptop (to the "Pictures" directory). Trouble
> is, when this process started all the photos had file names, and when
> they got to Vista all they had was numbers (sequentially, from 1 to
> 597). The file names I'd given them are nowhere to be found, and I'm
> hoping someone can tell me how to fix this problem. Some of the files
> are very old and need the file namesw for anyone to have any clue
> about who or what the photo is. Can anyone offer a solution? Thanks.

==================================
If you view the files on the flash drive do they
still have names? When you moved the files
from the flash drive to your Vista system did
you create a new folder and simply copy/paste
or drag/drop the files into it or did you use some
type of software to import the pictures?

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Dan

Re: Copying from one PC to a laptop using a flash drive
When I view the files on the flash drive they still have the file names I
gave them. When I copied the files to Vista I created a folder in "Pictures"
and then simply cut and pasted the photos from the flash drive to the laptop.

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Dan wrote:
> > I've copied 600 photos from a PC using Windows 2000 to a new laptop
> > using Vista Home Basic. The files were copied from the PC to a flash
> > drive and then to the laptop (to the "Pictures" directory). Trouble
> > is, when this process started all the photos had file names, and when
> > they got to Vista all they had was numbers (sequentially, from 1 to
> > 597). The file names I'd given them are nowhere to be found, and I'm
> > hoping someone can tell me how to fix this problem. Some of the files
> > are very old and need the file namesw for anyone to have any clue
> > about who or what the photo is. Can anyone offer a solution? Thanks.

> ==================================
> If you view the files on the flash drive do they
> still have names? When you moved the files
> from the flash drive to your Vista system did
> you create a new folder and simply copy/paste
> or drag/drop the files into it or did you use some
> type of software to import the pictures?
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Bob

Re: Copying from one PC to a laptop using a flash drive
Select all the files you want to rename and rename the first one "whatever".
The other files will automatically be renamed "whatever" followed by a
sequential number.

Dan wrote:
> When I view the files on the flash drive they still have the file
> names I gave them. When I copied the files to Vista I created a
> folder in "Pictures" and then simply cut and pasted the photos from
> the flash drive to the laptop.

================================
Sorry..but in my experience this would not
change the names of the files.

Just as an experiment...try creating a new
folder on your desktop and drag/drop the
files directly from the flash drive to the new
folder.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Dan

Re: Copying from one PC to a laptop using a flash drive
I'd never dreamed that the simple operation I performed would change the file
names either. I'm stupefied. However, I'll try the drag and drop operation
and see what happens. Thanks.

Dan wrote:
> I'd never dreamed that the simple operation I performed would change
> the file names either. I'm stupefied. However, I'll try the drag and
> drop operation and see what happens. Thanks.

==================
Please post the result.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Dan

Re: Copying from one PC to a laptop using a flash drive
But the thing is I don't want to rename any of the files. That would be
carrying the error one step farther. What I want to do is get the original
file names back and find out why Windows stripped those names off when the
files were copied and pasted and reploaced the original file names with
simple consecutive numerals.