Audio Recording with Vista Home Premium

Dale

Audio Recording with Vista Home Premium
Hi:
I have an HP dv6500z laptop, running 32-bit Vista Home Premium.
It has a single microphone input jack , but no line-in jack.
The microphone jack has both, mono & stereo capability.
I know that line-in and microhone jacks are not the same, but do not know
if Wirdows Audio recorder software (or similar) accounts for this.
Can I use the microphone input jack to record stereo signals output from
another
device (e.g., a Reel-to-reel tape recoder, cassette palyer, turntable, ...).
If so, does Windows provide any documentation regarding the parameters
that need to be set. What about recording levels ? Is setting these mainly
trial & error, or is there some basic Rule-of-Thumb to go by ?

Does Windows have a similar Video Recorder application and doumentation ?

Any relative information would be appreciated.
Thank you

DaleB

Edward

Re: Audio Recording with Vista Home Premium

"Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi:
> I have an HP dv6500z laptop, running 32-bit Vista Home Premium.
> It has a single microphone input jack , but no line-in jack.
> The microphone jack has both, mono & stereo capability.
> I know that line-in and microhone jacks are not the same, but do not know
> if Wirdows Audio recorder software (or similar) accounts for this.
> Can I use the microphone input jack to record stereo signals output from
> another
> device (e.g., a Reel-to-reel tape recoder, cassette palyer, turntable,
> ...).
> If so, does Windows provide any documentation regarding the parameters
> that need to be set. What about recording levels ? Is setting these
> mainly
> trial & error, or is there some basic Rule-of-Thumb to go by ?
>
> Does Windows have a similar Video Recorder application and doumentation ?
>
> Any relative information would be appreciated.
> Thank you
>
> DaleB

Normally your sound system will ask you whether to use microphone or
line-in after you have plugged in. The Windows recorder utility is very
limited, better use a sound recording&editor program like Goldwave or
Audacity (free).

Dale

Re: Audio Recording with Vista Home Premium
aHi:
Do either of the two proigrams that you mentioned ... Goldwave or
Audacity (free) ... require using a line-in jack, like that on a sound card
?
I do not have a soundcard or a line-in jack...just a laptop with a
microphone jack ?
Thsnk you...

DaleB

"Edward" wrote:

> "Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > Hi:
> > I have an HP dv6500z laptop, running 32-bit Vista Home Premium.
> > It has a single microphone input jack , but no line-in jack.
> > The microphone jack has both, mono & stereo capability.
> > I know that line-in and microhone jacks are not the same, but do not know
> > if Wirdows Audio recorder software (or similar) accounts for this.
> > Can I use the microphone input jack to record stereo signals output from
> > another
> > device (e.g., a Reel-to-reel tape recoder, cassette palyer, turntable,
> > ...).
> > If so, does Windows provide any documentation regarding the parameters
> > that need to be set. What about recording levels ? Is setting these
> > mainly
> > trial & error, or is there some basic Rule-of-Thumb to go by ?
> >
> > Does Windows have a similar Video Recorder application and doumentation ?
> >
> > Any relative information would be appreciated.
> > Thank you
> >
> > DaleB
> >

> Normally your sound system will ask you whether to use microphone or
> line-in after you have plugged in. The Windows recorder utility is very
> limited, better use a sound recording&editor program like Goldwave or
> Audacity (free).

Edward

Re: Audio Recording with Vista Home Premium
They work both, you adjust within the program.

> aHi:
> Do either of the two proigrams that you mentioned ... Goldwave or
> Audacity (free) ... require using a line-in jack, like that on a sound
> card
> ?
> I do not have a soundcard or a line-in jack...just a laptop with a
> microphone jack ?
> Thsnk you...
>
> DaleB
>

> "Edward" wrote:
>

>> "Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>> > Hi:
>> > I have an HP dv6500z laptop, running 32-bit Vista Home Premium.
>> > It has a single microphone input jack , but no line-in jack.
>> > The microphone jack has both, mono & stereo capability.
>> > I know that line-in and microhone jacks are not the same, but do not
>> > know
>> > if Wirdows Audio recorder software (or similar) accounts for this.
>> > Can I use the microphone input jack to record stereo signals output
>> > from
>> > another
>> > device (e.g., a Reel-to-reel tape recoder, cassette palyer, turntable,
>> > ...).
>> > If so, does Windows provide any documentation regarding the parameters
>> > that need to be set. What about recording levels ? Is setting these
>> > mainly
>> > trial & error, or is there some basic Rule-of-Thumb to go by ?
>> >
>> > Does Windows have a similar Video Recorder application and doumentation
>> > ?
>> >
>> > Any relative information would be appreciated.
>> > Thank you
>> >
>> > DaleB
>> >

>> Normally your sound system will ask you whether to use microphone or
>> line-in after you have plugged in. The Windows recorder utility is very
>> limited, better use a sound recording&editor program like Goldwave or
>> Audacity (free).

Dale

Re: Audio Recording with Vista Home Premium
Thank you...

"Edward" wrote:

> They work both, you adjust within the program.
>
> "Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > aHi:
> > Do either of the two proigrams that you mentioned ... Goldwave or
> > Audacity (free) ... require using a line-in jack, like that on a sound
> > card
> > ?
> > I do not have a soundcard or a line-in jack...just a laptop with a
> > microphone jack ?
> > Thsnk you...
> >
> > DaleB
> >

> > "Edward" wrote:
> >

> >> "Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

> >> Normally your sound system will ask you whether to use microphone or
> >> line-in after you have plugged in. The Windows recorder utility is very
> >> limited, better use a sound recording&editor program like Goldwave or
> >> Audacity (free).

Dale

Re: Audio Recording with Vista Home Premium
Hi:
Is Audacity strictly an audio recoding program...or....does it
also include capability for recording video rom VHS, DVD, TV, etc ?
Thank you...

DaleB

"Edward" wrote:

> They work both, you adjust within the program.
>
> "Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > aHi:
> > Do either of the two proigrams that you mentioned ... Goldwave or
> > Audacity (free) ... require using a line-in jack, like that on a sound
> > card
> > ?
> > I do not have a soundcard or a line-in jack...just a laptop with a
> > microphone jack ?
> > Thsnk you...
> >
> > DaleB
> >

> > "Edward" wrote:
> >

> >> "Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

> >> Normally your sound system will ask you whether to use microphone or
> >> line-in after you have plugged in. The Windows recorder utility is very
> >> limited, better use a sound recording&editor program like Goldwave or
> >> Audacity (free).

PapaJohn

Re: Audio Recording with Vista Home Premium
it's just for audio...

PapaJohn (MVP)

"Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
> Is Audacity strictly an audio recoding program...or....does it
> also include capability for recording video rom VHS, DVD, TV, etc ?
> Thank you...
>
> DaleB
>
> "Edward" wrote:
>
>> They work both, you adjust within the program.
>>
>> "Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>> > aHi:
>> > Do either of the two proigrams that you mentioned ... Goldwave or
>> > Audacity (free) ... require using a line-in jack, like that on a sound
>> > card
>> > ?
>> > I do not have a soundcard or a line-in jack...just a laptop with a
>> > microphone jack ?
>> > Thsnk you...
>> >
>> > DaleB

Dale

Re: Audio Recording with Vista Home Premium
Hi:

Thanx for your reply.
Do you know of a similar program,. but for Video ?

Thank you