Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Photo sequencing issue when renaming multiple Pics !!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video

Speedup My PC
Old 02-13-2008

1206nick is on a distinguished road
Photo sequencing issue when renaming multiple Pics !!
I am having the same re-naming issue with Vista that i saw someone else had on this forum some time ago. I can't find the original posting but I don't think it was ever properly resolved.

The Problem:

I want to arrange a folder of different photos in a specific order (that is relevant to me) and then to rename the files so that they have a common name and are also numbered sequentially in the order i have put them in.

I did this all the time with XP, but when i try to do the same thing with Vista it seems to jumble up the order i have placed the photos in and number them in a random order as well.

I am trying to do this in the windows explorer documents > pictures folder. What I am doing 1st is arranging the pictures in my prefered sequence (using the drag and drop & align to grid process), then selecting them all and then right clicking and renaming them all at once.

When i did this on XP, the picture i put first would be named, for example, Wedding (1), the picture I put second would be named and numbered Wedding (2) and then Wedding (3), (4), (5) and so on... All named and numbered in my chosen sequence.

Easy.. or at least it was with XP! With Vista it seems to jumble up the order I have chosen in the renaming process for no apparent or obvious reason. For example the photo that i wanted to be named Wedding (2) (and which i placed second in the order of files) comes out named, Wedding (41) and put in the middle somewhere. And all the others in the collection are placed all over the place as well.

The new jumbled up order Vista has chosen to display and rename and number my photos in has no logic either. ie. it hasn't chosen an order relevant to any name, date or anything else obvious.

Is it because Vista can't handle the fact that i want to arrange and then rename pictures in a folder that are from several different sources ie. photos from 2 different cameras and also scans from other photos too? XP didn't have a problem doing this!

The reason i am not using the 'order by' date or name options to arrange and display them is that they all have very different names (as they are from many different sources) and they are all taken on different dates so this option is no good to me either. I need to organise them myself as Vista does not have a 'Sort By' option that I want to arrange my photos in. Surely i should be able to arrange a group of pictures in a folder in a desired sequence and then number them in the same order without having to number 1000's of them individually.

I have noticed that if I try and rename them in the photo gallery it does it okay, however the problem in the gallery is I cannot arrange the photos the way i want to 1st as the 'order by' function is limited to date, name, size etc. I cannot customise the display to my chosen order of preference.

I know someone else was having this exact problem and I hope what I want to do is explained clearly so I was hoping someone out there could explain what if anything I am doing wrong or if this is another Vista irregularity.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2008

zacman83 is on a distinguished road
Similar photo renaming issues in Vista
1206nick, I am having the same problems! When our office renames a batch of photos from a Vista PC, it always puts the last 1 or 2 photos as the sequential first in the new batch.

E.g., if I was renaming three pictures named "1406 Main St. (1)", "1406 Main St. (2)", and "1406 Main St. (3)" TO "Snow Pic (1)", "Snow Pic (2)", and "Snow Pic (3)". Vista will throw "1406 Main St. (3)" to the front and call it "Snow Pic (1)"!

Hopefully that's not too confusing. Essentially, the issue seems to be rooted in Vista's inability to properly sequentiate (I think I just made up a word) photos according to their chronological order.

I saw you posted on multiple sites--have you gotten any helpful responses anywhere? Thx
Old 03-07-2008

1206nick is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

No i'm afraid this does not seem to have been addressed in anywhere i have searched. I have resorted to dragging my pictures onto a flash drive and renaming them on my mum's XP computer.

A bit of a long way of doing it, but definately quicker and less frustrating than having to try and do it through Vista. Maybe the service pack will address this issue, but it doesn't seem to be too widely reported. Sorry I can't be of any more help.
Old 04-16-2008
56 chevy

Re: Photo sequencing issue when renaming multiple Pics !!
Hi. I'm new to this whole thing, but it would appear that the gallery does
not allow individual placement of each picture, then save those positions to
a memory, so that when you come back in with another similar picture to group
with an existing collection, the gallery displays them in the sequence you
placed them it.'

What's up with that???

"1206nick" wrote:

>
> Hi there,
>
> No i'm afraid this does not seem to have been addressed in anywhere i
> have searched. I have resorted to dragging my pictures onto a flash
> drive and renaming them on my mum's XP computer.
>
> A bit of a long way of doing it, but definately quicker and less
> frustrating than having to try and do it through Vista. Maybe the
> service pack will address this issue, but it doesn't seem to be too
> widely reported. Sorry I can't be of any more help.
>
>
> --
> 1206nick
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
>
>

Old 04-17-2008
dbknox

> The reason i am not using the 'order by' date or name options to
> arrange and display them is that they all have very different names
> (as
> they are from many different sources) and they are all taken on
> different dates so this option is no good to me either. I need to
> organise them myself as Vista does not have a 'Sort By' option that I
> want to arrange my photos in. Surely i should be able to arrange a
> group
> of pictures in a folder in a desired sequence and then number them in
> the same order without having to number 1000's of them individually.

I hope I am understanding you correctly, forgive me if I don't.
In the "explorer" folder try clicking on "view" and then deselecting
"auto arrange" then arrange them in the order you wish them to be, then
click on "edit" "select all" and right click with the mouse and
"rename" starting with "00" , then select auto arrange under view again.

--
dbknox
Old 04-23-2008
clm44

"dbknox" wrote:

>
> > The reason i am not using the 'order by' date or name options to
> > arrange and display them is that they all have very different names
> > (as
> > they are from many different sources) and they are all taken on
> > different dates so this option is no good to me either. I need to
> > organise them myself as Vista does not have a 'Sort By' option that I
> > want to arrange my photos in. Surely i should be able to arrange a
> > group
> > of pictures in a folder in a desired sequence and then number them in
> > the same order without having to number 1000's of them individually.

>
> I hope I am understanding you correctly, forgive me if I don't.
> In the "explorer" folder try clicking on "view" and then deselecting
> "auto arrange" then arrange them in the order you wish them to be, then
> click on "edit" "select all" and right click with the mouse and
> "rename" starting with "00" , then select auto arrange under view again.
>
>
> --
> dbknox
>

Old 04-23-2008
clm44

I am so glad to see these posts. I have been trying to sequentially arrange
my 1000 photos taken in Egypt for over a month. Most of the photos are mine
-- hundreds are from other people on the trip -- downloaded hi-res photos
from Snapfish. I have renamed hundreds of pictures by going in one by one
-- putting decimals in the numbering sequence to get them in the right order.
(probably was an easier way -- I'm new to this.)

They appear in photo gallery fine one minute, but then get all out of order
the next time I go in. And forget about burning my album to a CD! I hadn't
been able to figure out the naming conventions that caused them to get so
jumbled up -- now I see it may be an alphabetic order may solve this problem.
But I still don't know how to name them so photo gallery will keep them in
the order I want.

Has anyone found out further info on this subject since the last posts?

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2008

filemaker is on a distinguished road
rename multiple photos in vista
the only good solution to do so, is this:

1. go to windows explorer en find the map with photos you want to re-arrange

2. go to "organise" en look at "indeling" (in dutch sorry) en activate "menubalk"

3. go to "beeld" en activate "details"

4. rightclick on emty field and klick "sorteren op" and next on "more"

5. de-select everything so that only "name" is selected

6. choose for big pictograms in "beeld"

7. re-order the photos as you want them (same as in xp)

8. deselect "auto arrange" in "beeld" from the "menubalk"

9. select all photos and give an rightclick on the first photo and choose rename (same as in xp)

Only problem I have doing this, is the last photo coming on the first place. You can change the number then by hand.

Another problem is that you cannot make the starting number an high number. You can change the number in another program (as told before: bulkrenmae).

Sorry for my "boeruh" english.

My second reaction on this forum, but a good one isn't?

enjoy!!
Old 09-15-2008

filemaker is on a distinguished road
I found an even easyier way to do this!

Look in the folder where your fotos are and put them in the order you want them to be. Right-click in an empty space and choose "sort by' and then 'more' and in the new window you deselect everything except 'name' (you cannot deselect this one). After that you select "#" and put this in the upper row. Then in Picture in the menubar you deselect ßuto-arrange'.
After doing this you select all pictures en rename them, the same as you did in xp, now it has to go ok!