Problems playing .wm files

Lord Vladimir Fedorov

Problems playing .wm files
I've got a problem with WMP 11 playing .wmv files. It suddenly started to
play these with distorted sound and slowed video. When I put any graphic
file into the forlder with wmv file, open picture and slide to .wmv file it
plays ok.

I have already tried to reset WMP 11 settings with registry patch and tried
/sfc scannow to no avail.

Please help.

Anton

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Problems playing .wm files

Which registry patch are you referring to?

This sounds very specifically like a video card driver problem. What video
card do you have? What driver version are you using?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Lord Vladimir Fedorov" <gomer2004@mail2world.com> wrote in message
> I've got a problem with WMP 11 playing .wmv files. It suddenly started to
> play these with distorted sound and slowed video. When I put any graphic
> file into the forlder with wmv file, open picture and slide to .wmv file
> it plays ok.
>
> I have already tried to reset WMP 11 settings with registry patch and
> tried /sfc scannow to no avail.
>
> Please help.
>
> Anton

Lord Vladimir Fedorov

Re: Problems playing .wm files
Registray patch is WMPVistaReset-x86.zip, which was published somewhere in
these newsgroup earlier.

I have NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT driver version 7.15.11.038.

I should note that I have acer aspire 5920 G laptop and I cannot update
driver from NVIDIA site. I could update it only if manufacturer would
publish new driver (I mean Acer).

I suspect that DivX player which I installed and then deinstalled is the
problem.

WMP plays well other files. Only .wmv files have issues. WMP played .wmv
files well for half a year and suddenly stopped to reproduce them correctly.
I don't think the issue is in hardware.

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> сообщил/сообщила в
новостях следующее: news:u5iPukgbIHA.4684@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> Which registry patch are you referring to?
>
> This sounds very specifically like a video card driver problem. What
> video card do you have? What driver version are you using?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
>
> "Lord Vladimir Fedorov" <gomer2004@mail2world.com> wrote in message
>> I've got a problem with WMP 11 playing .wmv files. It suddenly started to
>> play these with distorted sound and slowed video. When I put any graphic
>> file into the forlder with wmv file, open picture and slide to .wmv file
>> it plays ok.
>>
>> I have already tried to reset WMP 11 settings with registry patch and
>> tried /sfc scannow to no avail.
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> Anton

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Problems playing .wm files

Ah, yes, I wrote that - it's not meant to be used for anything but a fix for
SatelliteTVforPC 2006 installation to Vista. Shoot, I knew I should have
named it better.

Right, if the player is working but not displaying video for specific types,
that likely means it is properly installed but the video card driver is
failing. (The player is pretty removed from the specifics of how the video
is rendering, which is why this is not likely to be fixable at a player
level.) You can tweak the player Tools:Options:Performance menu tab
slightly, but you'll likely not get too far if there is a driver issue here.

What changed during that time? Just the DivX player addition/deletion? I
see ForceRelease 169 on the nVidia site, but I have no idea what version
that maps to for your system. =\

--

> Registray patch is WMPVistaReset-x86.zip, which was published somewhere in
> these newsgroup earlier.
>
> I have NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT driver version 7.15.11.038.
>
> I should note that I have acer aspire 5920 G laptop and I cannot update
> driver from NVIDIA site. I could update it only if manufacturer would
> publish new driver (I mean Acer).
>
> I suspect that DivX player which I installed and then deinstalled is the
> problem.
>
> WMP plays well other files. Only .wmv files have issues. WMP played .wmv
> files well for half a year and suddenly stopped to reproduce them
> correctly. I don't think the issue is in hardware.
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> сообщил/сообщила в
> новостях следующее: news:u5iPukgbIHA.4684@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>
>> Which registry patch are you referring to?
>>
>> This sounds very specifically like a video card driver problem. What
>> video card do you have? What driver version are you using?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "Lord Vladimir Fedorov" <gomer2004@mail2world.com> wrote in message
>>> I've got a problem with WMP 11 playing .wmv files. It suddenly started
>>> to play these with distorted sound and slowed video. When I put any
>>> graphic file into the forlder with wmv file, open picture and slide to
>>> .wmv file it plays ok.
>>>
>>> I have already tried to reset WMP 11 settings with registry patch and
>>> tried /sfc scannow to no avail.
>>>
>>> Please help.
>>>
>>> Anton

Lord Vladimir Fedorov

Re: Problems playing .wm files
Ok, I've made it. I downloaded new NVIDIA driver from Acer support site and
installed it. The issue with wmv files remains. New driver version is
7.15.11.5672.

Playing with performance settings doesn't help.

What else coud I do?

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> сообщил/сообщила в
новостях следующее: news:Ob1imdobIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> Ah, yes, I wrote that - it's not meant to be used for anything but a fix
> for SatelliteTVforPC 2006 installation to Vista. Shoot, I knew I should
> have named it better.
>
> Right, if the player is working but not displaying video for specific
> types, that likely means it is properly installed but the video card
> driver is failing. (The player is pretty removed from the specifics of
> how the video is rendering, which is why this is not likely to be fixable
> at a player level.) You can tweak the player Tools:Options:Performance
> menu tab slightly, but you'll likely not get too far if there is a driver
> issue here.
>
> What changed during that time? Just the DivX player addition/deletion? I
> see ForceRelease 169 on the nVidia site, but I have no idea what version
> that maps to for your system. =\
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
>
> "Lord Vladimir Fedorov" <gomer2004@mail2world.com> wrote in message
>> Registray patch is WMPVistaReset-x86.zip, which was published somewhere
>> in these newsgroup earlier.
>>
>> I have NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT driver version 7.15.11.038.
>>
>> I should note that I have acer aspire 5920 G laptop and I cannot update
>> driver from NVIDIA site. I could update it only if manufacturer would
>> publish new driver (I mean Acer).
>>
>> I suspect that DivX player which I installed and then deinstalled is the
>> problem.
>>
>> WMP plays well other files. Only .wmv files have issues. WMP played .wmv
>> files well for half a year and suddenly stopped to reproduce them
>> correctly. I don't think the issue is in hardware.
>>

>> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> сообщил/сообщила в
>> новостях следующее: news:u5iPukgbIHA.4684@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> Which registry patch are you referring to?
>>>
>>> This sounds very specifically like a video card driver problem. What
>>> video card do you have? What driver version are you using?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Speaking for myself only.
>>> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
>>> rights.

Lord Vladimir Fedorov

Re: Problems playing .wm files
Ok, I found the problem. It was my audio driver Realtek. When I reinstalled
audio driver - the issue has gone.

zachd, thank you very much for the clue.

"Lord Vladimir Fedorov" <gomer2004@mail2world.com> сообщил/сообщила в
новостях следующее: news:uX5KUnsbIHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...