Headset plugged in front jack not working

Sandy

Headset plugged in front jack not working
I have 2 problems and can someone please help?
1) Headset plugged into front jacks is not working and it looks like my PC
hasn't even sensed the headset bcos I expected it to it ask me about what I
have plugged into the jack if it was not sure.
2) Rear speakers are working fine for playbacks. Rear jack microphone is
working for recording but the issue is the audio being recorded cannot be
heard from speakers. After I stop recording I can play and hear the recording
but not while I am recording it.

Has someone faced this and has some solutions for me?

Let me make it clear that same hardware works absolutely fine when the OS
was XP. I had a fresh Vista install couple of days back on hardware with
Intel motherboard, Intel core 2 duo 946GZ Express chipset. I have every
possible (also all optional) latest update for the OS. I have installed
latest drivers meant for Vista (audio and graphics accelerators) downloaded
and installed yesterday from Intel site.
Sandy

RE: Headset plugged in front jack not working
To add to the info -
I can see 2 playback devices, first is "Speakers" whose properties show 4
rear panel 3.5 mm jacks in jack info. This one when set, sounds rear speakers
only. Another is "Digital output device (SPDIF)" which shows rear panel RCA
jack in jack info and this device when set doesn't really produce any sound
from both headset and rear speakers.
Recording devices do show front panel microphone (along with rear
microphone, line in and digital input device) but with a red colored down
arrow on the icon and the configure button too is disabled.