TV Resolution

apitman

TV Resolution
I have a Vizio 37" LCD TV. I have it connected to the VGA port of my Gateway
Laptop running Windows Vista.

The TV manual says the optimal resolution for the TV is 1366 x 768 at 60 hz.
It is a 780p TV.

No matter what resolution I choose in Vista the picture on the TV never
fully fills the screen. At 1024x768 it fills the height of the TV, but has
black borders along the edges. If I choose 1280x800 or 1280x768 then it has a
thick black border around all edges of the display.

I searched for monitor drivers and tried several generic monitor drivers.
Nothing seems to work.

Please help me figure out how to get the image to be the full size of the TV
display.
Bare Foot Kid

Re: TV Resolution

I don't know much about this but its your video card in your lap top.
Not enough to give you a high res. image on your BIG tv.

--
Bare Foot Kid

Jesus loves you just the way you are !
You are welcome to visit my site 'HERE'
(http://jesuslovesyoutoo.org/default.aspx)
Bob

Re: TV Resolution
Use the WIDE button on your remote control to cycle through the available
screen formats.

"apitman" <apitman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Vizio 37" LCD TV. I have it connected to the VGA port of my
>Gateway
> Laptop running Windows Vista.
>
> The TV manual says the optimal resolution for the TV is 1366 x 768 at 60
> hz.
> It is a 780p TV.
>
> No matter what resolution I choose in Vista the picture on the TV never
> fully fills the screen. At 1024x768 it fills the height of the TV, but has
> black borders along the edges. If I choose 1280x800 or 1280x768 then it
> has a
> thick black border around all edges of the display.
>
> I searched for monitor drivers and tried several generic monitor drivers.
> Nothing seems to work.
>
> Please help me figure out how to get the image to be the full size of the
> TV
> display.

apitman

Re: TV Resolution
Thank you for the reply, but I disagree. The video card can go all the way up
to very high resolutions. When I go to any of those resolutions I just end up
with a smaller picture in the middle of the TV screen with a black border
around the edges.

"Bare Foot Kid" wrote:

> I don't know much about this but its your video card in your lap top.
> Not enough to give you a high res. image on your BIG tv.
>

> --
> Bare Foot Kid
>
> Jesus loves you just the way you are !
> You are welcome to visit my site 'HERE'
> (http://jesuslovesyoutoo.org/default.aspx)

apitman

Re: TV Resolution
When connected to the RGB (computer video) port the only option is normal and
wide. When I do wide then everything is wider than it should be.

Tony

"Bob" wrote:

> Use the WIDE button on your remote control to cycle through the available
> screen formats.
>
> "apitman" <apitman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Vizio 37" LCD TV. I have it connected to the VGA port of my
> >Gateway
> > Laptop running Windows Vista.
> >
> > The TV manual says the optimal resolution for the TV is 1366 x 768 at 60
> > hz.
> > It is a 780p TV.
> >
> > No matter what resolution I choose in Vista the picture on the TV never
> > fully fills the screen. At 1024x768 it fills the height of the TV, but has
> > black borders along the edges. If I choose 1280x800 or 1280x768 then it
> > has a
> > thick black border around all edges of the display.
> >
> > I searched for monitor drivers and tried several generic monitor drivers.
> > Nothing seems to work.
> >
> > Please help me figure out how to get the image to be the full size of the
> > TV
> > display.

JW

Re: TV Resolution
Have you tried sending it 1360x768 or 1366x768?
> When connected to the RGB (computer video) port the only option is normal
> and
> wide. When I do wide then everything is wider than it should be.
>
> Tony
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Use the WIDE button on your remote control to cycle through the available
>> screen formats.
>>
>> "apitman" <apitman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Vizio 37" LCD TV. I have it connected to the VGA port of my
>> >Gateway
>> > Laptop running Windows Vista.
>> >
>> > The TV manual says the optimal resolution for the TV is 1366 x 768 at
>> > 60
>> > hz.
>> > It is a 780p TV.
>> >
>> > No matter what resolution I choose in Vista the picture on the TV never
>> > fully fills the screen. At 1024x768 it fills the height of the TV, but
>> > has
>> > black borders along the edges. If I choose 1280x800 or 1280x768 then it
>> > has a
>> > thick black border around all edges of the display.
>> >
>> > I searched for monitor drivers and tried several generic monitor
>> > drivers.
>> > Nothing seems to work.
>> >
>> > Please help me figure out how to get the image to be the full size of
>> > the
>> > TV
>> > display.

apitman

Re: TV Resolution
I wish I could. Those are not options and that really is my question. How do
I get 1366x768 to be shown as an option? I have tried unchecking the "Hide
modes this monitor cannot display" and changing to several different monitors
and none of them give that as an option.

"JW" wrote:

> Have you tried sending it 1360x768 or 1366x768?
> "apitman" <apitman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When connected to the RGB (computer video) port the only option is normal
> > and
> > wide. When I do wide then everything is wider than it should be.
> >
> > Tony
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> Use the WIDE button on your remote control to cycle through the available
> >> screen formats.

Bare Foot Kid

Re: TV Resolution

Like I said in the first place, you may have to settle for "less"
resolution if you want to fill your screen!

--
Bare Foot Kid

Jesus loves you just the way you are !
You are welcome to visit my site 'HERE'
(http://jesuslovesyoutoo.org/default.aspx)
apitman

Re: TV Resolution
I have tried less resolution and it still doesn't fill the screen. Maybe I
don't understand what you mean.

The only less resolutions are 1024x768 and 800x600. Both of those leave
black borders on the left and right. Is there some other setting that I
should try?

"Bare Foot Kid" wrote:

> Like I said in the first place, you may have to settle for "less"
> resolution if you want to fill your screen!
>

> --
> Bare Foot Kid
>
> Jesus loves you just the way you are !
> You are welcome to visit my site 'HERE'
> (http://jesuslovesyoutoo.org/default.aspx)

JW

Re: TV Resolution
I also suggested that you try 1360x768 since many graphics card/drivers do
not support 1366x768 since 1366 is not devisable by 8.
What graphics make/model graphics card do you have?