Photo Gallery/Videos (WMV)/Date Taken/Export to another computer

Axel

Photo Gallery/Videos (WMV)/Date Taken/Export to another computer
I am trying to orgnanize some of my video clips using the Photo Gallery. I
would like to be able to transfer those clips to another computer. The
problem I have is that the TAGS appear to be written into the file (great!)
but the "Date Taken" which I assign while organizing the clipds, isn't. This
seems to be the case because the WMV file format doesn't seem to have a field
for that information (seems like there is only a Year of Release field). So
here is the question. Where do the Metadata that' can't be written back to
the file live, and how do I get them out and into another computer?

Thanks much
AXel
John Inzer

Re: Photo Gallery/Videos (WMV)/Date Taken/Export to another computer
Axel wrote:
> I am trying to orgnanize some of my video clips using the Photo
> Gallery. I would like to be able to transfer those clips to another
> computer. The problem I have is that the TAGS appear to be written
> into the file (great!) but the "Date Taken" which I assign while
> organizing the clipds, isn't. This seems to be the case because the
> WMV file format doesn't seem to have a field for that information
> (seems like there is only a Year of Release field). So here is the
> question. Where do the Metadata that' can't be written back to the
> file live, and how do I get them out and into another computer?
>
> Thanks much
> AXel

====================================
You could try copying the Pictures.pd4 file
to a thumb drive, CD, DVD, etc...and move it
to the other computer (replacing the current
..pd4 file).

This database named "Pictures.pd4" includes
thumbs and metadata and is found at the
following location.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\
Windows Photo Gallery\Pictures.pd4

The file can also be found with an Advanced
Search for pd4.

Go to...Start / Search / Advanced Search.

Check the box..."Include non-indexed, hidden,
and system files" Enter pd4 in the Name field
and left click the Search button.

The following article may be worth a look also:

Metadata and the Windows
Vista Photo Gallery
http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/archive/20...16/702780.aspx

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Axel

Re: Photo Gallery/Videos (WMV)/Date Taken/Export to another comput
Thanks. I'll give this a try. The ability to sync meta data between computers
seems like feature that's missing from a lot of these programs (Photo Gallery
not alone). Keeping things in the file seems the way to go but I guess we
are still a few years away before all file formats let you write back. It is
strange that WMV only lets you write in a Release Year rather than a "Date
Taken"...

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion
Axel