HELP! Windows Vista Movie Make

Dee

HELP! Windows Vista Movie Make
Does ANYONE out there know anything about importing music with the new Vista?
We just bought our Dell from Best Buy and Dell tells us to call BB and BB
tells us to call Dell or bring it in... here is whats going on... I want to
make a DVD of our kids for my husband. Easy enough... well I want to add
music (did it on our old laptop with Windows XP noooo problem!) well NOW...
no matter WHAT music cd I RIP to Windows Media Player and try to import the
music to the movie I get this message Track -- .wma is protected using
digital rights management and cannot be imported.) amd I am getting it even
on cd my frined gave me with HIS piano music recorded on it so I know its not
protected! Please help!!!
John Inzer

Re: HELP! Windows Vista Movie Make
Dee wrote:
> Does ANYONE out there know anything about importing music with the
> new Vista? We just bought our Dell from Best Buy and Dell tells us to
> call BB and BB tells us to call Dell or bring it in... here is whats
> going on... I want to make a DVD of our kids for my husband. Easy
> enough... well I want to add music (did it on our old laptop with
> Windows XP noooo problem!) well NOW... no matter WHAT music cd I RIP
> to Windows Media Player and try to import the music to the movie I
> get this message Track -- .wma is protected using digital rights
> management and cannot be imported.) amd I am getting it even on cd my
> frined gave me with HIS piano music recorded on it so I know its not
> protected! Please help!!!

====================================
Some info:

Windows Vista -
Troubleshoot problems with importing
files into Windows Movie Maker
http://tinyurl.com/2z63ks

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...924aa1033.mspx

Maybe you could adapt the following
WinXP instructions on importing iTunes
and make them work for you in Vista.

Movie Maker 2 - Importing Audio
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Importing-Audio.html
(look at the right column under PapaJohn Comments)

Movie Maker 2 - Importing - Digital Rights Management
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Importing-DRM.html

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

zachd [MSFT]

Re: HELP! Windows Vista Movie Make

Go to the player's Tools:Options:Rip Music menu tab, uncheck "Copy protect
music", and then rerip the CDs. Voila. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does ANYONE out there know anything about importing music with the new
> Vista?
> We just bought our Dell from Best Buy and Dell tells us to call BB and BB
> tells us to call Dell or bring it in... here is whats going on... I want
> make a DVD of our kids for my husband. Easy enough... well I want to add
> music (did it on our old laptop with Windows XP noooo problem!) well
> NOW...
> no matter WHAT music cd I RIP to Windows Media Player and try to import
> the
> music to the movie I get this message Track -- .wma is protected using
> digital rights management and cannot be imported.) amd I am getting it
> even
> on cd my frined gave me with HIS piano music recorded on it so I know its
> not
> protected! Please help!!!

Dee

Re: HELP! Windows Vista Movie Make
Thanks I will give that a try... can you tell me too if I should have my
format set to Wav or keep it as it currently is and that is Windows Media
Audio?

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> Go to the player's Tools:Options:Rip Music menu tab, uncheck "Copy protect
> music", and then rerip the CDs. Voila. =)
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does ANYONE out there know anything about importing music with the new
> > Vista?
> > We just bought our Dell from Best Buy and Dell tells us to call BB and BB
> > tells us to call Dell or bring it in... here is whats going on... I want
> > make a DVD of our kids for my husband. Easy enough... well I want to add
> > music (did it on our old laptop with Windows XP noooo problem!) well
> > NOW...
> > no matter WHAT music cd I RIP to Windows Media Player and try to import
> > the
> > music to the movie I get this message Track -- .wma is protected using
> > digital rights management and cannot be imported.) amd I am getting it
> > even
> > on cd my frined gave me with HIS piano music recorded on it so I know its
> > not
> > protected! Please help!!!

Graham Hughes

Re: HELP! Windows Vista Movie Make
Depends on how much space you have on your pc, the wav files will be better
quality, but take up more space.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> Thanks I will give that a try... can you tell me too if I should have my
> format set to Wav or keep it as it currently is and that is Windows Media
> Audio?
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> Go to the player's Tools:Options:Rip Music menu tab, uncheck "Copy
>> protect
>> music", and then rerip the CDs. Voila. =)
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Does ANYONE out there know anything about importing music with the new
>> > Vista?
>> > We just bought our Dell from Best Buy and Dell tells us to call BB and
>> > BB
>> > tells us to call Dell or bring it in... here is whats going on... I
>> > want
>> > make a DVD of our kids for my husband. Easy enough... well I want to
>> > add
>> > music (did it on our old laptop with Windows XP noooo problem!) well
>> > NOW...
>> > no matter WHAT music cd I RIP to Windows Media Player and try to import
>> > the
>> > music to the movie I get this message Track -- .wma is protected
>> > using
>> > digital rights management and cannot be imported.) amd I am getting it
>> > even
>> > on cd my frined gave me with HIS piano music recorded on it so I know
>> > its
>> > not
>> > protected! Please help!!!

Dee

Re: HELP! Windows Vista Movie Make
we just bought it and it has 2GB plus I have an external hard drive that has
120 GB and I dont keep pictures on this pc... only my laptop.
I am not one that is great with how much a BG or MB or all that is but I do
know that that should be enough space right?

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Depends on how much space you have on your pc, the wav files will be better
> quality, but take up more space.
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks I will give that a try... can you tell me too if I should have my
> > format set to Wav or keep it as it currently is and that is Windows Media
> > Audio?
> >
> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> Go to the player's Tools:Options:Rip Music menu tab, uncheck "Copy
> >> protect
> >> music", and then rerip the CDs. Voila. =)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> rights.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: HELP! Windows Vista Movie Make

I do not recommend WAV for media file storage - it really isn't meant for
rich metadata handling. If you want best quality, use WMA Lossless. If you
do not want to use WMA, use MP3, which also has rich metadata handling. =)

--
> we just bought it and it has 2GB plus I have an external hard drive that
> has
> 120 GB and I dont keep pictures on this pc... only my laptop.
> I am not one that is great with how much a BG or MB or all that is but I
> do
> know that that should be enough space right?
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Depends on how much space you have on your pc, the wav files will be
>> better
>> quality, but take up more space.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>

>> "Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks I will give that a try... can you tell me too if I should have
>> > my
>> > format set to Wav or keep it as it currently is and that is Windows
>> > Media
>> > Audio?

Graham Hughes

Re: HELP! Windows Vista Movie Make
What about for use in Movie Maker Zachd?
Would you still recommend WMA lossless? Mp3 is a pain in the butt never
working all the time, so I never suggest peple use that!!!!!

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I do not recommend WAV for media file storage - it really isn't meant for
> rich metadata handling. If you want best quality, use WMA Lossless. If
> you do not want to use WMA, use MP3, which also has rich metadata
> handling. =)
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: HELP! Windows Vista Movie Make

You have problems with MP3? That's interesting - what problems? I prefer:
WMA > WMA Lossless > MP3 > WAV
, but then again I'm not using those files in Movie Maker. =\

WAV just worries me because working with RIFF metadata has a tendency to
corrupt files. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Graham Hughes" <graham.hughes@dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote in message
> What about for use in Movie Maker Zachd?
> Would you still recommend WMA lossless? Mp3 is a pain in the butt never
> working all the time, so I never suggest peple use that!!!!!
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I do not recommend WAV for media file storage - it really isn't meant for
>> rich metadata handling. If you want best quality, use WMA Lossless. If
>> you do not want to use WMA, use MP3, which also has rich metadata
>> handling. =)
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.

dbledee

Re: HELP! Windows Vista Movie Make
Sometimes if you havedownloaded the music directly from the web or it is
just one song, you do not have the full licensing rights to that song. You
have only paid to listen to that song not use it in any other media. If you
want to use the song in Movie Maker, you have to purchase the CD to get the
full license rights.

Dbldee