Disable tagging photo's to DataBase so all users can use the tags.

Onedutch

Disable tagging photo's to DataBase so all users can use the tags.
I have created several users on my Vista workstation. When user A is tagging
the pictures stored in the public location user B cannot see those tags. I
found out that sometimes the tag information is not stored in the metadata
part of the jpg picture file.
Sometimes it is, for example, when you 'copied' the photo's from a CD to
your public picture folder. Those photo's are marked 'read only' so when
tagging those pictures the Tags cannot be written to the pictures, so the
tags are stored in the 'private' db of user A.

I have now a situation that a few pictures have the tags in the file (So
user A and B can use those tags to searcg) butt in the same folder some other
pictures are only searchable by tag by User A.

Is it possible to distinguish (by file name colour or something) that tags
are stored in the file or in a database?
I want to force Vista to alway's store tags in the JPG file! If Vista isn't
able to store the Tag in the JPG file it should warn me!

Can anyone explain how this works?

Cheers, -- Tom from Holland
John Inzer

Re: Disable tagging photo's to DataBase so all users can use the tags.
Onedutch wrote:
> I have created several users on my Vista workstation. When user A is
> tagging the pictures stored in the public location user B cannot see
> those tags. I found out that sometimes the tag information is not
> stored in the metadata part of the jpg picture file.
> Sometimes it is, for example, when you 'copied' the photo's from a CD
> to your public picture folder. Those photo's are marked 'read only'
> so when tagging those pictures the Tags cannot be written to the
> pictures, so the tags are stored in the 'private' db of user A.
>
> I have now a situation that a few pictures have the tags in the file
> (So user A and B can use those tags to searcg) butt in the same
> folder some other pictures are only searchable by tag by User A.
>
> Is it possible to distinguish (by file name colour or something) that
> tags are stored in the file or in a database?
> I want to force Vista to alway's store tags in the JPG file! If Vista
> isn't able to store the Tag in the JPG file it should warn me!
>
> Can anyone explain how this works?
>
> Cheers, -- Tom from Holland

====================================
As I understand it...each user account has a
database file..."Pictures.pd4". Data that cannot
be written back to the image files will be in
the .pd4 file.

The following article may offer some info:

Metadata and the Windows
Vista Photo Gallery
http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/archive/20...16/702780.aspx
Scroll down to: 'Your mileage may vary'

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Onedutch

Re: Disable tagging photo's to DataBase so all users can use the t
Hello John,

At the end of that article it say's "We will be posting more extensive
documentation on MSDN in the coming weeks. Watch this space for an update!"
is their any more information available?

It would help me that if the info cannot be written back to the file Vista
or Photo Gallery should warn me about it. If I tag hundreds of files and it's
useless because the Media Center Extender user MX1 cannot see those tags I
get frustrated.

Do you know any more about this?
--
Tom from Holland,