Can't play AVI in WMP11

Jennywren

Can't play AVI in WMP11
I have Vista Business. In trying to fix this problem, I have on at least 2
occasions installed AC3 filter, XVID, Divx Pro 6.8, then uninstalled them to
install Vista Codec Package. Used GSpot on both lots of installations and
told that the right codecs are installed, but still get the error code:
80040241 when trying to watch an AVI. I have spent days reading forums and
trying suggestions offered to others. I have bought and installed Norton
Systemworks 2008, which did nothing to help; installed RegCure and Registry
Mechanic and still no changes to the error code when I attempt to play an AVI
in either WMP or PowerDVD 7.

When Divx Pro was installed I was able to play an AVI in the Divx Player,
but not in both WMP and PowerDVD. I have spent days on trying solutions
ending up with no changes. I have used CheckIt diagnostics in which the AVI
file played fine, but nowhere else. It appears that the codecs and Power DVD
are not the issue. I would greatly appreciate a workable solution so that I
can watch AVI's in WMP and PowerDVD.

I was able to watch AVI's in both WMP11 and PowerDVD7 prior to updates and
other program installations: Direct X, Office 2007 Enterprise and can not
understand how updates or Office would corrupt WMP or PowerDVD.

Please Help
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Can't play AVI in WMP11

DivX and XVid are redundant with each other.

What happens if you use FFDShow Tryouts instead for "Divx" playback?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Jennywren" <Jennywren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Business. In trying to fix this problem, I have on at least 2
> occasions installed AC3 filter, XVID, Divx Pro 6.8, then uninstalled them
> install Vista Codec Package. Used GSpot on both lots of installations and
> told that the right codecs are installed, but still get the error code:
> 80040241 when trying to watch an AVI. I have spent days reading forums and
> trying suggestions offered to others. I have bought and installed Norton
> Systemworks 2008, which did nothing to help; installed RegCure and
> Registry
> Mechanic and still no changes to the error code when I attempt to play an
> AVI
> in either WMP or PowerDVD 7.
>
> When Divx Pro was installed I was able to play an AVI in the Divx Player,
> but not in both WMP and PowerDVD. I have spent days on trying solutions
> ending up with no changes. I have used CheckIt diagnostics in which the
> AVI
> file played fine, but nowhere else. It appears that the codecs and Power
> DVD
> are not the issue. I would greatly appreciate a workable solution so that
> can watch AVI's in WMP and PowerDVD.
>
> I was able to watch AVI's in both WMP11 and PowerDVD7 prior to updates and
> other program installations: Direct X, Office 2007 Enterprise and can not
> understand how updates or Office would corrupt WMP or PowerDVD.
>
> Please Help

Jennywren

Re: Can't play AVI in WMP11. FIXED!!!
Thanks for your post. I did try FFDShow but nothing changed. I have fixed
this ongoing problem by installing K Lite Codec Package 3.6.5. The
installation process detected broken files/codecs and fixed them.
YAHOOOOO, only took 1 month of frustation.

Offers and suggestions that did not help fix this error included:
(The following were used on their own and with others)

Divx Pro 6.8
Vista Codec Package
Xvid
FFDShow
Cyberlink patches
Reg Cure
System Mechanic
Norton Systemworks

By uninstalling all other codecs and installing the K Lite codec package, I
can now watch AVI's in both WMP 11 and PowerDVD 7. Codec Packages are not bad
like many others say. I sincerely hope that what I have learnt here will help
others.

Jennywren