Windows Media Player//audio but no video in Vista Premium

Robbie

Windows Media Player//audio but no video in Vista Premium
I have Windows Vista Home Premium OS and until recently am unable to play
video (such as wmv files sent as e-mail attachments).Audio is fine and it was
playing both audio and video until recently then the video just stopped.I am
not very good on the computer and would greatly appreciate anybodys input.I
dont know if a setting has been mistakenly changed (unknowingly) but I cant
find any.I have a lot of e-mails with wmv's attached from friends and can no
longer view the videos.Thak you for your time.Robbie
gurs24

RE: Windows Media Player//audio but no video in Vista Premium
Hi Robbie,
I too have the same problem since I upgraded to Vista. I can't seem to find
any one that can help. Hopefully someone here can. I even downloaded
RealPlayer and the same happens. I can see on WMP a very small box of the
video. When I change the video % size my screen goes black. Good Luck

"Robbie" wrote:

> I have Windows Vista Home Premium OS and until recently am unable to play
> video (such as wmv files sent as e-mail attachments).Audio is fine and it was
> playing both audio and video until recently then the video just stopped.I am
> not very good on the computer and would greatly appreciate anybodys input.I
> dont know if a setting has been mistakenly changed (unknowingly) but I cant
> find any.I have a lot of e-mails with wmv's attached from friends and can no
> longer view the videos.Thak you for your time.Robbie

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Player//audio but no video in Vista Premium

What video card do you have? Is there a video card driver update available
from the vendor?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows Vista Home Premium OS and until recently am unable to play
> video (such as wmv files sent as e-mail attachments).Audio is fine and it
> was
> playing both audio and video until recently then the video just stopped.I
> am
> not very good on the computer and would greatly appreciate anybodys
> input.I
> dont know if a setting has been mistakenly changed (unknowingly) but I
> cant
> find any.I have a lot of e-mails with wmv's attached from friends and can
> no
> longer view the videos.Thak you for your time.Robbie

Robbie

Re: Windows Media Player//audio but no video in Vista Premium
I dont know what Video Card it is.How do I find out?I am a computer
novice.The computer is a ACER Extensa 5620-6830 model purchased in Nov
2007.I looked in the book but it doesnt mention a "video Card" per se.But
then again, I'm not sure what I am looking for.Thanks for your help.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> What video card do you have? Is there a video card driver update available
> from the vendor?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Windows Vista Home Premium OS and until recently am unable to play
> > video (such as wmv files sent as e-mail attachments).Audio is fine and it
> > was
> > playing both audio and video until recently then the video just stopped.I
> > am
> > not very good on the computer and would greatly appreciate anybodys
> > input.I
> > dont know if a setting has been mistakenly changed (unknowingly) but I
> > cant
> > find any.I have a lot of e-mails with wmv's attached from friends and can
> > no
> > longer view the videos.Thak you for your time.Robbie

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Player//audio but no video in Vista Premium

According to a check on eBay - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 .
I think you can find those drivers here:
* http://www.intel.com/support/graphic...lg31/index.htm

--

>I dont know what Video Card it is.How do I find out?I am a computer
> novice.The computer is a ACER Extensa 5620-6830 model purchased in Nov
> 2007.I looked in the book but it doesnt mention a "video Card" per se.But
> then again, I'm not sure what I am looking for.Thanks for your help.
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> What video card do you have? Is there a video card driver update
>> available
>> from the vendor?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have Windows Vista Home Premium OS and until recently am unable to
>> >play
>> > video (such as wmv files sent as e-mail attachments).Audio is fine and
>> > it
>> > was
>> > playing both audio and video until recently then the video just
>> > stopped.I
>> > am
>> > not very good on the computer and would greatly appreciate anybodys
>> > input.I
>> > dont know if a setting has been mistakenly changed (unknowingly) but I
>> > cant
>> > find any.I have a lot of e-mails with wmv's attached from friends and
>> > can
>> > no
>> > longer view the videos.Thak you for your time.Robbie

Robbie

Re: Windows Media Player//audio but no video in Vista Premium
I updated the video card driver with same results.Audio but no video.I
downloaded Winamp and it plays both video and audio just fine but I prefer
WMP.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> What video card do you have? Is there a video card driver update available
> from the vendor?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Windows Vista Home Premium OS and until recently am unable to play
> > video (such as wmv files sent as e-mail attachments).Audio is fine and it
> > was
> > playing both audio and video until recently then the video just stopped.I
> > am
> > not very good on the computer and would greatly appreciate anybodys
> > input.I
> > dont know if a setting has been mistakenly changed (unknowingly) but I
> > cant
> > find any.I have a lot of e-mails with wmv's attached from friends and can
> > no
> > longer view the videos.Thak you for your time.Robbie

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Player//audio but no video in Vista Premium

Which video card do you have?
Which audio card do you have?

Since this works for most people, I'm curious what's unique/wrong with your
system. Bad drivers are usually the easiest way for a system to go awry. =\