Cmrcl Video DVDs Won't Play in USB Device

Scrat

Cmrcl Video DVDs Won't Play in USB Device
Toshiba A215-S4747
ATI X1200 video
4GB
Vista Home Premium
All OS Updates
DVD:
internal: Mat****a UJ-850S ATA
external: Memorex 530L v1 USB

All Commercial DVD movies play in the internal device, but none play in the
external device. Windows Media Player emits this message no matter what
viewer (WMP, Realplayer, etc) is used:

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try
installing an updated driver for your video card."

Error number is: C00D1163

The very latest (Jan 2008) X1200 ATI video driver is installed.

It seems to me that I have played commercial movies from this device in the
past. I wonder if the Content Nazis have colluded with MS such that recent
updates to the system make playing DVDs impossible from external devices.
WTF. Any clues?

Thanx.

Scrat

Re: Cmrcl Video DVDs Won't Play in USB Device
I solved this problem.

The Bigger Problem is that I have been using this external writer with
various flavors of Linux lately and with Linux, you just plug almost any DVD
device in and it works.

What I had forgotten is that when, in the past, I had successfully used the
device it had been with the accompanying edition of Nero 7 for Memorex
installed.

This is what Nero 7 had done, previously: it asked me if I wanted to upgrade
to the latest versiona and I said 'well, duh' and Nero proceeded to
completely remove itself from the computer AND NOT INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE.
Now is that impressive, or what? Yea, and you thought McAfee and Norton were
wedged...

What Linux proves is that the software layer installed by Nero is completely
UNNECESSARY. It exists for one reason only: to control your use of 3rd party
CONTENT. That's all it's about. Various RIAA-type groups in collusion with
Microsoft, Nero, et al are simply insinuating an unnecessary layer between
you and your devices in order to control your access of content.

Period end. LONG LIVE FREE SOFTWARE!