Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Mpeg-2, Xvid, Divx suddenly stops playing WMP11 Vista 32bit

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2008
shaneob1
 

Posts: n/a
Mpeg-2, Xvid, Divx suddenly stops playing WMP11 Vista 32bit
This suddenly occured yesterday after I installed Adobe premiere elements 3.
I have unistalled it since and reinstalled mutiple codecs and codec packs and
uninstalled them. I have tried xvid codec, ffdshow, DirectShow etc. Tried
uninstalling codecs. These files also failed in Media Player Classic, but
since I changed it from DirectShow to RealMedia, it works, so it probably
something wrong with DirectShow. All files play fine in other programs like
VLC, but I want to play them in Vista Media Center.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have spent many hours trying to fix
this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2008
zachd [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Mpeg-2, Xvid, Divx suddenly stops playing WMP11 Vista 32bit

Codec packs cause more problems than they solve:
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#divx

What happens when you try to play them in Media Center? Do they still play
in Windows Media Player? That's what should be providing Media Center
playback services...

--
Speaking for myself only.
See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--

"shaneob1" <shaneob1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:707DFA9C-AF02-492D-B75F-907BC722C1B8@microsoft.com...
> This suddenly occured yesterday after I installed Adobe premiere elements
> 3.
> I have unistalled it since and reinstalled mutiple codecs and codec packs
> and
> uninstalled them. I have tried xvid codec, ffdshow, DirectShow etc. Tried
> uninstalling codecs. These files also failed in Media Player Classic, but
> since I changed it from DirectShow to RealMedia, it works, so it probably
> something wrong with DirectShow. All files play fine in other programs
> like
> VLC, but I want to play them in Vista Media Center.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have spent many hours trying to
> fix
> this.



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2008
shaneob1
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Mpeg-2, Xvid, Divx suddenly stops playing WMP11 Vista 32bit
Thanks for your reply.

The videos don't work in WMP or VMC. When I try them in Media Center, they
just say cannot play file.

I have made a new admin account, and everything works fine there, so ill
live with it by putting media on C drive and accessing it there. Is there any
way to import settings from one account to another?

I had to manually add ffdshow codecs using DS filter and it worked in Media
Player Classic, but still not WMP, which is odd.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

>
> Codec packs cause more problems than they solve:
> http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#divx
>
> What happens when you try to play them in Media Center? Do they still play
> in Windows Media Player? That's what should be providing Media Center
> playback services...
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> --
>
> "shaneob1" <shaneob1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:707DFA9C-AF02-492D-B75F-907BC722C1B8@microsoft.com...
> > This suddenly occured yesterday after I installed Adobe premiere elements
> > 3.
> > I have unistalled it since and reinstalled mutiple codecs and codec packs
> > and
> > uninstalled them. I have tried xvid codec, ffdshow, DirectShow etc. Tried
> > uninstalling codecs. These files also failed in Media Player Classic, but
> > since I changed it from DirectShow to RealMedia, it works, so it probably
> > something wrong with DirectShow. All files play fine in other programs
> > like
> > VLC, but I want to play them in Vista Media Center.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have spent many hours trying to
> > fix
> > this.

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2008
zachd [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Mpeg-2, Xvid, Divx suddenly stops playing WMP11 Vista 32bit

Windows Media Player should have more useful error handling than Media
Center, I would think.
Media Player Classic is very different that Windows Media Player.

It sounds like some bogus filter is inserting itself on the broken account.
GraphEdt.exe might list that filter... =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--

"shaneob1" <shaneob1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F5E88F38-1F0B-4F0C-80CA-43BA8945AEA4@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> The videos don't work in WMP or VMC. When I try them in Media Center, they
> just say cannot play file.
>
> I have made a new admin account, and everything works fine there, so ill
> live with it by putting media on C drive and accessing it there. Is there
> any
> way to import settings from one account to another?
>
> I had to manually add ffdshow codecs using DS filter and it worked in
> Media
> Player Classic, but still not WMP, which is odd.
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>>
>> Codec packs cause more problems than they solve:
>> http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#divx
>>
>> What happens when you try to play them in Media Center? Do they still
>> play
>> in Windows Media Player? That's what should be providing Media Center
>> playback services...
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "shaneob1" <shaneob1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:707DFA9C-AF02-492D-B75F-907BC722C1B8@microsoft.com...
>> > This suddenly occured yesterday after I installed Adobe premiere
>> > elements
>> > 3.
>> > I have unistalled it since and reinstalled mutiple codecs and codec
>> > packs
>> > and
>> > uninstalled them. I have tried xvid codec, ffdshow, DirectShow etc.
>> > Tried
>> > uninstalling codecs. These files also failed in Media Player Classic,
>> > but
>> > since I changed it from DirectShow to RealMedia, it works, so it
>> > probably
>> > something wrong with DirectShow. All files play fine in other programs
>> > like
>> > VLC, but I want to play them in Vista Media Center.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have spent many hours trying
>> > to
>> > fix
>> > this.

>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Media Player 11 stopped playing DivX/XVid files Prasad microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 4 02-09-2008 14:50
Lack of sound in WMP11 playing DivX-encoded file Egon Spengler microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 2 11-27-2007 03:12
WMP11 Stops Responding when playing some videos. shanethegooner microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 0 08-15-2007 21:38




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:26.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120