AVI video's that played in XP wont play in Vista - workaround.

Pat Riley

AVI video's that played in XP wont play in Vista - workaround.
Apparently Microsoft has "disabled" older codec's which prevents certain
AVI's from playing in Vista. If you have Indeo 3.1x AVI's this hack might
be useful. Ironically, Microsoft shipped with Vista all three dll's (the
codec) needed to play Indeo 3.1x AVI's, so only this registry key is
required to enable them. Intel Indeo was sold to Ligos. Ligos states the
following:

"the 3.x video codec is no longer available nor supported"

Microsoft recommends that you convert older AVI's and not use this
"deprecated" codec.

WARNING: this is a HACK and involves making a single REG_SZ string. If you
do not know what the consequences of editing the registry are you should not
attempt this. Use this HACK at your own risk and peril.

To this key, add this REG_SZ value

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"vidc.iv32"="ir32_32.dll"

This message may self destruct in 30 seconds,
Good Luck Jim....

[POOF]

zachd [MSFT]

Re: AVI video's that played in XP wont play in Vista - workaround.

Indeo is installed as part of Windows Vista in a special compatibility mode.
There are various ways you can try to bypass this compatibility mode, as is
suggested below. This would probably be a pretty bad plan. (Currently,
Indeo is responsible for some of the top crashes in Vista multimedia: again,
bad plan.)

It would be much more appropriate to solve the problem at the source and
convert the content in question to use a modern supported codec.

I support AVI as a sustainable interchange format. Using codecs that the
vendor does not support is not sustainable and leaves every other user in
the same messed up situation that you were in. Who wants to encourage
frustration? Solve the problem by reencoding the content.

Note the reference to Microsoft below is incorrect. He was referring to a
private email exchange we had, where I clearly identified that I was
speaking for myself. I apologize for any confusion on this matter. I am
unaware of any official Microsoft guidance on this matter, but the Ligos
guidance that the codec is "no longer available nor supported" should speak
volumes.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Pat Riley" <patriley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Apparently Microsoft has "disabled" older codec's which prevents certain
> AVI's from playing in Vista. If you have Indeo 3.1x AVI's this hack might
> be useful. Ironically, Microsoft shipped with Vista all three dll's (the
> codec) needed to play Indeo 3.1x AVI's, so only this registry key is
> required to enable them. Intel Indeo was sold to Ligos. Ligos states the
> following:
>
> "the 3.x video codec is no longer available nor supported"
>
> Microsoft recommends that you convert older AVI's and not use this
> "deprecated" codec.
>
> WARNING: this is a HACK and involves making a single REG_SZ string. If
> you do not know what the consequences of editing the registry are you
> should not attempt this. Use this HACK at your own risk and peril.
>
> To this key, add this REG_SZ value
>
> [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
> "vidc.iv32"="ir32_32.dll"
>
> This message may self destruct in 30 seconds,
> Good Luck Jim....
>
> [POOF]

mikeyhsd

Re: AVI video's that played in XP wont play in Vista - workaround.
use VLC instead , no problems with there that I have seen.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

[...]

Which leaves you in the uncomfortable and archaic position of "if you want to play this content, you must use player xxx", which is exactly the bad position that AVI was trying to save you from. Why not just use ..la or .viv files at that point?

You're looping back to bad decisions that the industry tried to get away from over a decade ago.

I like AVI as an easy format. Using an old deprecated codec is a bad experience.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message news:uZyrKrSZIHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
[...]

have been using VLC for years with no problems.
just need to keep up with updates like with all programs.

it bypasses the codec problems with the OS.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23vUg$wUZIHA.3964@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

[...]

There are lots of one-off players that are kept up to date and have been around for years. That doesn't translate to "this is a great solution".

The idea that it is an OS problem that random codec foo is not available on the system by default is an interesting and flawed one. Should we have this same discussion as regards the other 800 of the existing codecs out there?

I have no problem with VLC, and if you're paying attention might have noted that I recently sent them some fixes to problems they were having. But given that there are over 800 codecs out there, the methodology of "go get player xxx for this particular clip" turns out to be a short-sighted non-answer that doesn't really further AVI as a sustainable easy-to-use format. Let's make both VLC and AVI great and easy to use.

It bothers me when AVI is not easy to use in whatever player you want to use. If we're really to the point where you have to use VLC and can't use, say, GOMPlayer or KMPlayer to play back AVIs, that to me says AVI playback is getting pretty pathetic. Just use extension .avi-vlc at that point.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message news:uDUH1vaZIHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
[...]

for sure not trying to argue, but cannot understand why you think microsoft should be responsible for all codec's in the world.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:u5M5tMfZIHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

[...]

I absolutely don't - it's not tenable. My point is simply that "use player
xxx" is a logical shortcut that short-circuits proper content guidance. For
example, you will see people coming through asking how to play MJPG or TSCC
or other file and get the response back to download DivX. I'm a firm
believer in a cohesive troubleshooting system where we actually look at what
people are trying to play first and deal with in with a 'best practices'
methodology. Big fancy word meaning: they're better off reencoding the
content and saving everyone the hassle here. =)

[...]

Does Vista ship with a converter that would allow me to convert my Indeo
3.1x AVI's to a format that Vista can support? My XP computer plays these
AVI's just fine - oh and, they play great under Vista too with the registry
key mentioned below. I'm all for moving my AVI's to a format that Vista
will better support, but I expect that upgrading to Vista should not limit
my multimedia experience. I don't believe I'm alone in that expectation.
Isn't the "multimedia experience" suppose to be one of Vista's strengths.
See any irony here?

You've offered your recommendation "convert" - how does one do that with
Vista?

Thanks for any advice you share.

Pat Riley

> Indeo is installed as part of Windows Vista in a special compatibility
> mode. There are various ways you can try to bypass this compatibility
> mode, as is suggested below. This would probably be a pretty bad plan.
> (Currently, Indeo is responsible for some of the top crashes in Vista
> multimedia: again, bad plan.)
>
> It would be much more appropriate to solve the problem at the source and
> convert the content in question to use a modern supported codec.
>
> I support AVI as a sustainable interchange format. Using codecs that the
> vendor does not support is not sustainable and leaves every other user in
> the same messed up situation that you were in. Who wants to encourage
> frustration? Solve the problem by reencoding the content.
>
> Note the reference to Microsoft below is incorrect. He was referring to a
> private email exchange we had, where I clearly identified that I was
> speaking for myself. I apologize for any confusion on this matter. I am
> unaware of any official Microsoft guidance on this matter, but the Ligos
> guidance that the codec is "no longer available nor supported" should
> speak volumes.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "Pat Riley" <patriley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Apparently Microsoft has "disabled" older codec's which prevents certain
>> AVI's from playing in Vista. If you have Indeo 3.1x AVI's this hack
>> might be useful. Ironically, Microsoft shipped with Vista all three
>> dll's (the codec) needed to play Indeo 3.1x AVI's, so only this registry
>> key is required to enable them. Intel Indeo was sold to Ligos. Ligos
>> states the following:
>>
>> "the 3.x video codec is no longer available nor supported"
>>
>> Microsoft recommends that you convert older AVI's and not use this
>> "deprecated" codec.
>>
>> WARNING: this is a HACK and involves making a single REG_SZ string. If
>> you do not know what the consequences of editing the registry are you
>> should not attempt this. Use this HACK at your own risk and peril.
>>
>> To this key, add this REG_SZ value
>>
>> [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
>> "vidc.iv32"="ir32_32.dll"
>>
>> This message may self destruct in 30 seconds,
>> Good Luck Jim....
>>
>> [POOF]

Pat Riley

Re: AVI video's that played in XP wont play in Vista - workaround.
When would Vista use the "Special Compatibility Mode", you mentioned? Is
there a way to turn this mode on?