Sound Problems - Sigmatel

Boris

Sound Problems - Sigmatel
Hello All,

This seems to be a recurring issue with no answer on this forum but it is my
last resort, hopefully someone can help me.

I have a Dell XPS M1210 which has been running on Vista since RC1. I am now
under the OEM version of Vista Ultimate 32Bit.

My sound recently stopped working after no changes were made. The drivers
are installed and described as working in the properties.

I've changed the drivers, updated, deleted, reinstalled, anything you can
imagine with drivers and still no sound. I am computer literate, so this is
not a basic mute/unmute problem

I started thinking my sound card has gone boom but I ran the Dell
Diagnostics utility (by pressing F12 at BIOS screen) and sound comes out of
both my speakers.

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps me,

I will definitely come back with detailed instructions once I fix this crap.
Boris

RE: Sound Problems - Sigmatel
Hello,

I finally got my sound to work. I don't consider it a good solution but at
least it works now.

I followed someone's instructions to install Vista as an upgrade (upgrade
Vista to Vista). I put in the disc got the setup running, and had sound when
I woke up this morning.

I am still quite confused about the root cause of this problem and the way
to solve it and prevent it from happening ever again. I haven't had sound for
quite a while now and have to admit it is very satisfying to gain back the
multimedia functionality of my PC.

Someone had posted an advice not to install optional updates from Windows
Update. I think it's good.

All these probelms are actually leading me to consider purchasing an Apple,
which is kind of sad for Microsoft as I've been an anti-apple, MS Windows PC
believer for a while now.

Sorry for the novel, I guess I'm just in a writing mood this morning.

Kind Regards,