deleting tags

patrick A.

deleting tags
I have about a dozen tags (some nested) that I have been trying to delete.

I have tried numerous work-arounds including renaming them then deleting.

They seem to delete but when I close the photo gallery then open it again,
they haven't been deleted (renamed, or even de-nested depending on what I try)

Any that I have added lately DO delete, which is real confusing.
I have been trying for about a month now, and want to restart from scratch.

I own the computer w/admin rights (home premium 32bit)
John Inzer

Re: deleting tags
patrick A. wrote:
> I have about a dozen tags (some nested) that I have been trying to
> delete.
>
> I have tried numerous work-arounds including renaming them then
> deleting.
>
> They seem to delete but when I close the photo gallery then open it
> again, they haven't been deleted (renamed, or even de-nested
> depending on what I try)
>
> Any that I have added lately DO delete, which is real confusing.
> I have been trying for about a month now, and want to restart from
> scratch.
>
> I own the computer w/admin rights (home premium 32bit)

==================================
No guarantees...but if you are trying to clean up
and start over...the following info may be useful:

The "Pictures.pd4" database includes thumbs
and metadata and is found at the following location.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\
Windows Photo Gallery\Pictures.pd4

The file can also be found with an Advanced
Search for pd4.

Go to...Start / Search / Advanced Search.

Check the box..."Include non-indexed, hidden,
and system files" Enter pd4 in the Name field

Renaming or deleting the .pd4 file should
clean up your Photo Gallery.

Try renaming it... Pictures.OLD
If you are unhappy with the results...you can
try changing it back to Pictures.pd4.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

patrick A.

Re: deleting tags

"John Inzer" wrote:

> patrick A. wrote:
> > I have about a dozen tags (some nested) that I have been trying to
> > delete.
> >
> > I have tried numerous work-arounds including renaming them then
> > deleting.
> >
> > They seem to delete but when I close the photo gallery then open it
> > again, they haven't been deleted (renamed, or even de-nested
> > depending on what I try)
> >
> > Any that I have added lately DO delete, which is real confusing.
> > I have been trying for about a month now, and want to restart from
> > scratch.
> >
> > I own the computer w/admin rights (home premium 32bit)

> ==================================
> No guarantees...but if you are trying to clean up
> and start over...the following info may be useful:
>
> The "Pictures.pd4" database includes thumbs
> and metadata and is found at the following location.
>
> C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\
> Windows Photo Gallery\Pictures.pd4
>
> The file can also be found with an Advanced
> Search for pd4.
>
> Go to...Start / Search / Advanced Search.
>
> Check the box..."Include non-indexed, hidden,
> and system files" Enter pd4 in the Name field
>
> Renaming or deleting the .pd4 file should
> clean up your Photo Gallery.
>
> Try renaming it... Pictures.OLD
> If you are unhappy with the results...you can
> try changing it back to Pictures.pd4.
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk
>
> =====================

I renamed the pd4 as you suggested, but when I went into the Photo Gallery
they reappeared.
When I looked at the Appdata file it had copied the renamed file and named
it Pictures.pd4
>I then deleted both files but then Pictures.pd4 reappeared, and when I reopened Photo Gallery the tags were still there.

I even deleted the files from the recycle bin figuring that maybe the tags
are being restored somehow.
I then opened the Photo Gallery again, and voila! they are still there.
As I write this the AppData file doesn't show they exist; the recycle bin
doesn't show they exist; so I'm going to reboot my computer and cross my
fingers.
patrick A.

Re: deleting tags

"patrick A." wrote:

> "John Inzer" wrote:
>
> > patrick A. wrote:
> > > I have about a dozen tags (some nested) that I have been trying to
> > > delete.
> > >
> > > I have tried numerous work-arounds including renaming them then
> > > deleting.
> > >
> > > They seem to delete but when I close the photo gallery then open it
> > > again, they haven't been deleted (renamed, or even de-nested
> > > depending on what I try)
> > >
> > > Any that I have added lately DO delete, which is real confusing.
> > > I have been trying for about a month now, and want to restart from
> > > scratch.
> > >
> > > I own the computer w/admin rights (home premium 32bit)

> > ==================================
> > No guarantees...but if you are trying to clean up
> > and start over...the following info may be useful:
> >
> > The "Pictures.pd4" database includes thumbs
> > and metadata and is found at the following location.
> >
> > C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\
> > Windows Photo Gallery\Pictures.pd4
> >
> > The file can also be found with an Advanced
> > Search for pd4.
> >
> > Go to...Start / Search / Advanced Search.
> >
> > Check the box..."Include non-indexed, hidden,
> > and system files" Enter pd4 in the Name field
> >
> > Renaming or deleting the .pd4 file should
> > clean up your Photo Gallery.
> >
> > Try renaming it... Pictures.OLD
> > If you are unhappy with the results...you can
> > try changing it back to Pictures.pd4.
> >
> > --
> >
> > John Inzer
> > MS Picture It! -
> > Digital Image MVP
> >
> > Digital Image
> > Highlights and FAQs
> > http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695
> >
> > Notice
> > This is not tech support
> > I am a volunteer
> >
> > Solutions that work for
> > me may not work for you
> >
> > Proceed at your own risk
> >
> > =====================

> I renamed the pd4 as you suggested, but when I went into the Photo Gallery
> they reappeared.
> When I looked at the Appdata file it had copied the renamed file and named
> it Pictures.pd4
> >I then deleted both files but then Pictures.pd4 reappeared, and when I reopened Photo Gallery the tags were still there.

> I even deleted the files from the recycle bin figuring that maybe the tags
> are being restored somehow.
> I then opened the Photo Gallery again, and voila! they are still there.
> As I write this the AppData file doesn't show they exist; the recycle bin
> doesn't show they exist; so I'm going to reboot my computer and cross my
> fingers.

===================
I've rebooted the computer; the AppData file came up non-existent, but when
I opened the Photo Gallery the tags reappeared which then created the pd4
file.

If you happen to know Plan B Mr. Inzer it would be appreciated... (greatly)
Dave

Re: deleting tags
I'm starting to think that you don't have permission to alter the files
these tags are stored in.
In WPG, under Tags (on the left ), click on one of the tags you want to
delete. It should show all the photos that have that tag.
Right-click on one of the photos and check the Properties -
Is the file read-only?
Click on Security - Advanced - Owner
Are you the owner?

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"patrick A." <patrickA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "patrick A." wrote:

>> > ==================================
>> > No guarantees...but if you are trying to clean up
>> > and start over...the following info may be useful:
>> >
>> > The "Pictures.pd4" database includes thumbs
>> > and metadata and is found at the following location.
>> >
>> > C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\
>> > Windows Photo Gallery\Pictures.pd4
>> >
>> > The file can also be found with an Advanced
>> > Search for pd4.
>> >
>> > Go to...Start / Search / Advanced Search.
>> >
>> > Check the box..."Include non-indexed, hidden,
>> > and system files" Enter pd4 in the Name field
>> >
>> > Renaming or deleting the .pd4 file should
>> > clean up your Photo Gallery.
>> >
>> > Try renaming it... Pictures.OLD
>> > If you are unhappy with the results...you can
>> > try changing it back to Pictures.pd4.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > John Inzer
>> > MS Picture It! -
>> > Digital Image MVP
>> >
>> > Digital Image
>> > Highlights and FAQs
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695
>> >
>> > Notice
>> > This is not tech support
>> > I am a volunteer
>> >
>> > Solutions that work for
>> > me may not work for you
>> >
>> > Proceed at your own risk
>> >
>> > =====================

>> I renamed the pd4 as you suggested, but when I went into the Photo
>> Gallery
>> they reappeared.
>> When I looked at the Appdata file it had copied the renamed file and
>> named
>> it Pictures.pd4
>> >I then deleted both files but then Pictures.pd4 reappeared, and when I
>> >reopened Photo Gallery the tags were still there.

>> I even deleted the files from the recycle bin figuring that maybe the
>> tags
>> are being restored somehow.
>> I then opened the Photo Gallery again, and voila! they are still there.
>> As I write this the AppData file doesn't show they exist; the recycle bin
>> doesn't show they exist; so I'm going to reboot my computer and cross my
>> fingers.

> ===================
> I've rebooted the computer; the AppData file came up non-existent, but
> when
> I opened the Photo Gallery the tags reappeared which then created the pd4
> file.
>
> If you happen to know Plan B Mr. Inzer it would be appreciated...
> (greatly)

John Inzer

Re: deleting tags
patrick A. wrote:
> I've rebooted the computer; the AppData file came up non-existent,
> but when I opened the Photo Gallery the tags reappeared which then
> created the pd4 file.
>
> If you happen to know Plan B Mr. Inzer it would be appreciated...
> (greatly)

===============================
Deleting or renaming the .pd4 file will force
PhotoGallery to create a new .pd4 file the
next time it is opened. And...the PhotoGallery
should appear as it did the first time you
ever opened it.

If metadata is still being cataloged...it is more
than likely included in the image files themselves.

Right click one of your .jpg files and choose...
Properties / Summary tab / Advanced button...
you should find the included metadata.
IE: Title, Subject, Keywords, Comments, Author.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

patrick A.

Re: deleting tags
I don't have any pictures tagged at all. I'm sure that they were attached to
photos.
As a side note, (maybe) my Norton Antivirus stopped a "Bloodhound Exploit
13" when I did attach the tag to a picture. However, the attack was on three
other tmp files. (I did check those three photos' properties and I am the
owner)