Recording vinyl to my computer

Cider Drinker

Recording vinyl to my computer
I am lead to believe that there is/was Microsoft software for transferring my
vinyl to my Media Player. If such software isn't available, can someone
suggest an alterative. Can you please keep the answer relatively simple as
I'm not too hot at this game. Thanks muchly people.
Graham Hughes

Re: Recording vinyl to my computer
Hardware is the key, what do you have to connect the amplified source to
your computer?

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Cider Drinker" <Cider Drinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am lead to believe that there is/was Microsoft software for transferring
>my
> vinyl to my Media Player. If such software isn't available, can someone
> suggest an alterative. Can you please keep the answer relatively simple as
> I'm not too hot at this game. Thanks muchly people.

Cider Drinker

Re: Recording vinyl to my computer
Thanks for replying Graham. I just have my turntable into an amp and then
into the line in on my computer. Without software that's as far as I've got.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Hardware is the key, what do you have to connect the amplified source to
> your computer?
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "Cider Drinker" <Cider Drinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am lead to believe that there is/was Microsoft software for transferring
> >my
> > vinyl to my Media Player. If such software isn't available, can someone
> > suggest an alterative. Can you please keep the answer relatively simple as
> > I'm not too hot at this game. Thanks muchly people.

Edward

Re: Recording vinyl to my computer

"Cider Drinker" <Cider Drinker@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>I am lead to believe that there is/was Microsoft software for transferring
>my
> vinyl to my Media Player. If such software isn't available, can someone
> suggest an alterative. Can you please keep the answer relatively simple as
> I'm not too hot at this game. Thanks muchly people.

My situation is slightly different but maybe this helps. I record the
headphone-out of a minidisc recorder (which is an analogue signal) throuh
the line in of the PC. All you need is a good program. I use the excellent
program Goldwave. It turns the analogue signal into digital and it has
sophisticated editing facilities. It's realy worth the 45 US dollars, you
can't do without a good program if you are in the analogue conversion
business

Sven

Re: Recording vinyl to my computer
If you are using XP and can find a copy Microsoft Plus, Digital Media
Edition has a decent LP ripper
http://reviews.cnet.com/arts-music/m...-20828150.html

It has been discontinued for some time, but you might be able to scrounge up
a copy.

Beyond that Audacity is a good and free solution, but not nearly as
friendly.

--
Sven
MS MVP Mobile Devices
> Thanks for replying Graham. I just have my turntable into an amp and then
> into the line in on my computer. Without software that's as far as I've
> got.
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Hardware is the key, what do you have to connect the amplified source to
>> your computer?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>

>> "Cider Drinker" <Cider Drinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I am lead to believe that there is/was Microsoft software for
>> >transferring
>> >my
>> > vinyl to my Media Player. If such software isn't available, can someone
>> > suggest an alterative. Can you please keep the answer relatively simple
>> > as
>> > I'm not too hot at this game. Thanks muchly people.

Sven

Re: Recording vinyl to my computer
OH, just realized I was in a Vista specific group. So much for Plus.
Audacity is what I use on Vista. Almost have to as Vista's 'new and
improved' 'mixer' app won't let me redirect line in to audio out.
--
Sven
MS MVP Mobile Devices
"Cider Drinker" <CiderDrinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for replying Graham. I just have my turntable into an amp and then
> into the line in on my computer. Without software that's as far as I've
> got.
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Hardware is the key, what do you have to connect the amplified source to
>> your computer?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>

>> "Cider Drinker" <Cider Drinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I am lead to believe that there is/was Microsoft software for
>> >transferring
>> >my
>> > vinyl to my Media Player. If such software isn't available, can someone
>> > suggest an alterative. Can you please keep the answer relatively simple
>> > as
>> > I'm not too hot at this game. Thanks muchly people.

Cider Drinker

Re: Recording vinyl to my computer
Thanks for the advice people. I shall have a look for some software that
isn't likely to tax the few remaining brain cells that I have!

"Edward" wrote:

> "Cider Drinker" <Cider Drinker@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> >I am lead to believe that there is/was Microsoft software for transferring
> >my
> > vinyl to my Media Player. If such software isn't available, can someone
> > suggest an alterative. Can you please keep the answer relatively simple as
> > I'm not too hot at this game. Thanks muchly people.

> My situation is slightly different but maybe this helps. I record the
> headphone-out of a minidisc recorder (which is an analogue signal) throuh
> the line in of the PC. All you need is a good program. I use the excellent
> program Goldwave. It turns the analogue signal into digital and it has
> sophisticated editing facilities. It's realy worth the 45 US dollars, you
> can't do without a good program if you are in the analogue conversion
> business

RalfG

Re: Recording vinyl to my computer
A bit late to the thread but Roxio had a decent vinyl ripping utility in its
Media Creator Suite. Software included automatic track splitting and
pop/click/noise removal if needed.