Windows Movie Maker Help

Brandi1010

Windows Movie Maker Help
I was trying to import some videos I downloaded online and it says,
"The file
C:\Users\Rosalie\Downloads\[DB]_Naruto_Shippuuden_010_[EC7747DE].zip cannot
be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on
your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec,
close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."
But, I already installed the DivX codec that the website I downloaded the
clip from recommended and I tried restarting WMM. I know that I did this
before on my old computer. I downloaded videos from the same website, and I
had to download the DivX codec. Once I downloaded the codec, the files
worked, and i was able to download them. Does anyone know why it won't work
for me now? Could it have anything to do with the files having been
downloaded as zipped folders?
Graham Hughes

Re: Windows Movie Maker Help
Yes, you need to unzip them first, but even then you were lucky that you
could use divx files in MM, as this is often not the case.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Brandi1010" <Brandi1010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was trying to import some videos I downloaded online and it says,
> "The file
> C:\Users\Rosalie\Downloads\[DB]_Naruto_Shippuuden_010_[EC7747DE].zip
> cannot
> be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed
> on
> your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the
> codec,
> close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file
> again."
> But, I already installed the DivX codec that the website I downloaded the
> clip from recommended and I tried restarting WMM. I know that I did this
> before on my old computer. I downloaded videos from the same website, and
> had to download the DivX codec. Once I downloaded the codec, the files
> worked, and i was able to download them. Does anyone know why it won't
> work
> for me now? Could it have anything to do with the files having been
> downloaded as zipped folders?

Brandi1010

Re: Windows Movie Maker Help
Thank you for your help! So, now how do I unzip a file?

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Yes, you need to unzip them first, but even then you were lucky that you
> could use divx files in MM, as this is often not the case.
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "Brandi1010" <Brandi1010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was trying to import some videos I downloaded online and it says,
> > "The file
> > C:\Users\Rosalie\Downloads\[DB]_Naruto_Shippuuden_010_[EC7747DE].zip
> > cannot
> > be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed
> > on
> > your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the
> > codec,
> > close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file
> > again."
> > But, I already installed the DivX codec that the website I downloaded the
> > clip from recommended and I tried restarting WMM. I know that I did this
> > before on my old computer. I downloaded videos from the same website, and
> > had to download the DivX codec. Once I downloaded the codec, the files
> > worked, and i was able to download them. Does anyone know why it won't
> > work
> > for me now? Could it have anything to do with the files having been
> > downloaded as zipped folders?

RalfG

Re: Windows Movie Maker Help
Just double click it in Explorer to start the extraction process. Do you
have antivirus software installed? The original version of those files
always come as AVI, not ZIP. That makes it suspicious as it has been
modified by someone.

Unless you've worked with those files before you'll also need the XVID Codec
to decode or play them. The FFDSHOW filter would do the job as well, for
XVID and many other codecs that are used in AVIs and other media file types.

> Thank you for your help! So, now how do I unzip a file?
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Yes, you need to unzip them first, but even then you were lucky that you
>> could use divx files in MM, as this is often not the case.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>

>> "Brandi1010" <Brandi1010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was trying to import some videos I downloaded online and it says,
>> > "The file
>> > C:\Users\Rosalie\Downloads\[DB]_Naruto_Shippuuden_010_[EC7747DE].zip
>> > cannot
>> > be imported because the codec required to play the file is not
>> > installed
>> > on
>> > your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the
>> > codec,
>> > close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file
>> > again."
>> > But, I already installed the DivX codec that the website I downloaded
>> > the
>> > clip from recommended and I tried restarting WMM. I know that I did
>> > this
>> > before on my old computer. I downloaded videos from the same website,
>> > and
>> > had to download the DivX codec. Once I downloaded the codec, the files
>> > worked, and i was able to download them. Does anyone know why it won't
>> > work
>> > for me now? Could it have anything to do with the files having been
>> > downloaded as zipped folders?

Brandi1010

Re: Windows Movie Maker Help
Well, when I double click it, it tries to open up in WWM. What do you mean by
in Explorer? And I believe I have antivirus software installed, or I did
once. I think I can check my computer for viruses though, so if I find
anything I'll know where its from. Thanks for the heads up!

"RalfG" wrote:

> Just double click it in Explorer to start the extraction process. Do you
> have antivirus software installed? The original version of those files
> always come as AVI, not ZIP. That makes it suspicious as it has been
> modified by someone.
>
> Unless you've worked with those files before you'll also need the XVID Codec
> to decode or play them. The FFDSHOW filter would do the job as well, for
> XVID and many other codecs that are used in AVIs and other media file types.
>
> "Brandi1010" <Brandi1010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for your help! So, now how do I unzip a file?
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, you need to unzip them first, but even then you were lucky that you
> >> could use divx files in MM, as this is often not the case.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Graham Hughes
> >> MVP Digital Media
> >> www.myvideoproblems.com

Brandi1010

Re: Windows Movie Maker Help
Nevermind! I've figured it out. Thank you so much!

"Brandi1010" wrote:

> Well, when I double click it, it tries to open up in WWM. What do you mean by
> in Explorer? And I believe I have antivirus software installed, or I did
> once. I think I can check my computer for viruses though, so if I find
> anything I'll know where its from. Thanks for the heads up!
>
> "RalfG" wrote:
>
> > Just double click it in Explorer to start the extraction process. Do you
> > have antivirus software installed? The original version of those files
> > always come as AVI, not ZIP. That makes it suspicious as it has been
> > modified by someone.
> >
> > Unless you've worked with those files before you'll also need the XVID Codec
> > to decode or play them. The FFDSHOW filter would do the job as well, for
> > XVID and many other codecs that are used in AVIs and other media file types.
> >
> > "Brandi1010" <Brandi1010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thank you for your help! So, now how do I unzip a file?

RalfG

Re: Windows Movie Maker Help
Glad to hear it. FYI, those animes prefixed [DB] come from these folks:

http://www.dattebayo.com/

You can get the files directly, in AVI format, using a bittorrent client to
download with.

> Nevermind! I've figured it out. Thank you so much!
>
> "Brandi1010" wrote:
>
>> Well, when I double click it, it tries to open up in WWM. What do you
>> mean by
>> in Explorer? And I believe I have antivirus software installed, or I did
>> once. I think I can check my computer for viruses though, so if I find
>> anything I'll know where its from. Thanks for the heads up!
>>
>> "RalfG" wrote:
>>
>> > Just double click it in Explorer to start the extraction process. Do
>> > you
>> > have antivirus software installed? The original version of those files
>> > always come as AVI, not ZIP. That makes it suspicious as it has been
>> > modified by someone.
>> >
>> > Unless you've worked with those files before you'll also need the XVID
>> > Codec
>> > to decode or play them. The FFDSHOW filter would do the job as well,
>> > for
>> > XVID and many other codecs that are used in AVIs and other media file
>> > types.

Brandi1010

Re: Windows Movie Maker Help
I thought you could get in trouble using bittorrents?

"RalfG" wrote:

> Glad to hear it. FYI, those animes prefixed [DB] come from these folks:
>
> http://www.dattebayo.com/
>
> You can get the files directly, in AVI format, using a bittorrent client to
> download with.
>

> "Brandi1010" <Brandi1010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Nevermind! I've figured it out. Thank you so much!
> >
> > "Brandi1010" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, when I double click it, it tries to open up in WWM. What do you
> >> mean by
> >> in Explorer? And I believe I have antivirus software installed, or I did
> >> once. I think I can check my computer for viruses though, so if I find
> >> anything I'll know where its from. Thanks for the heads up!

RalfG

Re: Windows Movie Maker Help
The trouble comes from the choice of files you choose to download. There are
lots of legal file downloads, probably even more illicit ones. In this case
it is exactly the same video content as in your zip file so there's no
difference except in how you acquired the file... and fansubs are in a gray
area. If the content owner asks, the high profile fansub groups generally
stop making and distributing the files. Many of them stop immediately when
an anime title is licensed by some party for distribution in their
geographic area. Fake files and infected ones are different issues but
getting the torrents direct from the source reduces that risk considerably.