movie maker import clips vs. entire files

Joe D

movie maker import clips vs. entire files
I had several min-DVD tapes transferred to a DVD. They are in VOB format. In
Media player, they show up as 3 different "titles" with many "chapters,"
which I assume to be separate clips that are created each time the camera was
stoped and started. The files all paly fine in Media player.
When I import the files to moive maker (which was a challenge, given the VOB
format, but I think I solved that), Movie maker only allows me to see the
first "clip" or "chapter." I am unable to get to anything in the file beyond
the first few seconds. I can see that the entire file is there (the memory
size tells me that), but I can't get beyond the first 12 second. Help!
(these are tapes from my sons high school footbal games and some college
coaches want to see them!! ;-)
John Hanley

Re: movie maker import clips vs. entire files
WMM does not handle .vob files correctly. I convert my .vob files to .wmv
format with Windows Media Encoder, before importing them to WMM. There are
other ways to do that conversion, and you might try looking around at this
web site: http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/forums/

"Joe D" <Joe D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had several min-DVD tapes transferred to a DVD. They are in VOB format.
>In
> Media player, they show up as 3 different "titles" with many "chapters,"
> which I assume to be separate clips that are created each time the camera
> was
> stoped and started. The files all paly fine in Media player.
> When I import the files to moive maker (which was a challenge, given the
> VOB
> format, but I think I solved that), Movie maker only allows me to see the
> first "clip" or "chapter." I am unable to get to anything in the file
> beyond
> the first few seconds. I can see that the entire file is there (the memory
> size tells me that), but I can't get beyond the first 12 second. Help!
> (these are tapes from my sons high school footbal games and some college
> coaches want to see them!! ;-)

Graham Hughes

Re: movie maker import clips vs. entire files
, but I think I solved that),

How did you solve it?

If you changed the file format from VOB to mpg then all you will see is the
first chapter, you need to properly rip all the files from the vob file as
separate mpgs or as mentioned above convert to wmv.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media