Editing sound files in Vista

=?Utf-8?B?bmljb2RlbXVzcw==?=

Editing sound files in Vista
In Windows XP, there were options in the sound recorder to do rudimentary
editing of sound files; for example delete before or after current position
or increase or decrease speed. It seems like all of this functionality has
been removed from the sound recorder under Vista. All it will do is record
sound and save it as a file. Is there any way to do this editing under
Vista, or has the functionality been completely removed?
John Inzer

Re: Editing sound files in Vista
nicodemuss wrote:
> In Windows XP, there were options in the sound recorder to do
> rudimentary editing of sound files; for example delete before or
> after current position or increase or decrease speed. It seems like
> all of this functionality has been removed from the sound recorder
> under Vista. All it will do is record sound and save it as a file.
> Is there any way to do this editing under Vista, or has the
> functionality been completely removed?

==========================
Maybe you could use Movie Maker.

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Dana Cline - MVP

Re: Editing sound files in Vista
Google for and install Audacity - it's an awesome free audio editor.

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"John Inzer" wrote:

> > In Windows XP, there were options in the sound recorder to do
> > rudimentary editing of sound files; for example delete before or
> > after current position or increase or decrease speed. It seems like
> > all of this functionality has been removed from the sound recorder
> > under Vista. All it will do is record sound and save it as a file.
> > Is there any way to do this editing under Vista, or has the
> > functionality been completely removed?

> ==========================
> Maybe you could use Movie Maker.

Thanks. that should put me on the right track. So far, I've imported the
sound file, but all the editing options in the clip menu are grayed out. I
guess I need to find a decent book on Vista to find out how to proceed. It's
a shame no one includes manuals with hardware or software anymore.

Re: Editing sound files in Vista
I just tried with a wma file, split a second from the beginning. The Audio
part has to be selected in the timeline for Clip commands to be available,
you also must position the cursor so the command has something to do (you
can't split at the beginning only anywhere in the middle). Then I
successfully published it as an wma file (was given no choice of format it
knew it was audio only).

I tried again with some wav file from Office 95 and it was the same.

> "John Inzer" wrote:
>
>> > In Windows XP, there were options in the sound recorder to do
>> > rudimentary editing of sound files; for example delete before or
>> > after current position or increase or decrease speed. It seems like
>> > all of this functionality has been removed from the sound recorder
>> > under Vista. All it will do is record sound and save it as a file.
>> > Is there any way to do this editing under Vista, or has the
>> > functionality been completely removed?

>> ==========================
>> Maybe you could use Movie Maker.

> Thanks. that should put me on the right track. So far, I've imported the
> sound file, but all the editing options in the clip menu are grayed out.
> guess I need to find a decent book on Vista to find out how to proceed.
> It's
> a shame no one includes manuals with hardware or software anymore.

=?Utf-8?B?bmljb2RlbXVzcw==?=

Re: Editing sound files in Vista
Thanks. This works very well. It looks like it might be fun to play with
too when I have some time.