Caching PNG thumbnails in Vista

Jules Winfield

Caching PNG thumbnails in Vista
Friend,

I have a directory of PNG images that I use in my job as a software
developer. The directory contains approximately 1500 files and each file
contains a 256 x 256 image. I've become accustomed to opening this directory
in Windows Explorer, selecting View | Large Icons, and visually purusing the
list of images. A little thumbnail of each image appears in the file pane
and I can scroll up and down to view them.

The problem is that the visual image associated with a given file isn't
actually shown until several seconds after the file is actually scrolled
into view. Instead, a default Vista image of a bunch of flowers is shown as
a placeholder. This makes it difficult to quickly scroll up and down the
list of files while glancing at each image. Is there a way to get Vista to
cache all of the 1,500 thumbnails in memory? If I could do this once each
morning when I open the folder, it would make my life a lot easier.

Jules

Edward

Re: Caching PNG thumbnails in Vista

"Jules Winfield" <Jules.Winfield@newsgroup.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:07CdnRVwcs11YQnanZ2dnUVZ_sCtnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> Friend,
>
> I have a directory of PNG images that I use in my job as a software
> developer. The directory contains approximately 1500 files and each file
> contains a 256 x 256 image. I've become accustomed to opening this
> directory in Windows Explorer, selecting View | Large Icons, and visually
> purusing the list of images. A little thumbnail of each image appears in
> the file pane and I can scroll up and down to view them.
>
> The problem is that the visual image associated with a given file isn't
> actually shown until several seconds after the file is actually scrolled
> into view. Instead, a default Vista image of a bunch of flowers is shown
> as a placeholder. This makes it difficult to quickly scroll up and down
> the list of files while glancing at each image. Is there a way to get
> Vista to cache all of the 1,500 thumbnails in memory? If I could do this
> once each morning when I open the folder, it would make my life a lot
> easier.
>
> Jules

Explorer is slow in this respect, use IrfanView?

Jules Winfield

Re: Caching PNG thumbnails in Vista
> Explorer is slow in this respect, use IrfanView?

Thanks for the tip.

I had never heard of the IrfanView. I downloaded it and gave it a try. Aside
from the fact that the thumbnails end up being displayed with an ugly black
background, the program works pretty well and addresses the issue raised in
my original post. Thanks for the recommendation.

news:QNudnX4wqrFcjwvanZ2dnUVZ_t6onZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> Explorer is slow in this respect, use IrfanView?

> Thanks for the tip.
>
> I had never heard of the IrfanView. I downloaded it and gave it a try.
> Aside from the fact that the thumbnails end up being displayed with an
> ugly black background, the program works pretty well and addresses the
> issue raised in my original post. Thanks for the recommendation.
>
> Jules

You can change the display colors with options>set thumbnail options.