Windows Movie Maker + Vista Ultimate

Blake Mengotto

Windows Movie Maker + Vista Ultimate
I have tried two different programs. The vid starts to capture, showing the
preview, then everything stops (preview wise and capture wise).

Video drivers? Bad fire wire?

Any thoughts?

My system is a HP laptop with a GeForce 8400M GS

Bill Condie

Re: Windows Movie Maker + Vista Ultimate
What are you trying to capture? From a movie camera with the firewire, I
guess?

Can you see the video with Play?

"Blake Mengotto" <mengotto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have tried two different programs. The vid starts to capture, showing
>the
> preview, then everything stops (preview wise and capture wise).
>
> Video drivers? Bad fire wire?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> My system is a HP laptop with a GeForce 8400M GS

Blake Mengotto

Re: Windows Movie Maker + Vista Ultimate
That's right. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Now I am trying it on a XP box.
I will let you know how the XP box performs. (xp box with Windows Movie
Maker 2.0).

"Bill Condie" <billcondiespam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What are you trying to capture? From a movie camera with the firewire, I
> guess?
>
> Can you see the video with Play?
>
> "Blake Mengotto" <mengotto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have tried two different programs. The vid starts to capture, showing
>>the
>> preview, then everything stops (preview wise and capture wise).
>>
>> Video drivers? Bad fire wire?
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> My system is a HP laptop with a GeForce 8400M GS

Blake Mengotto

Re: Windows Movie Maker + Vista Ultimate
XP seems to be working with no issues.. So either the problem is with Movie
Maker on my laptop or the stupid video card drivers/direct x.

I have another video capture program on the latpop called muvee and it also
crashes..so I am thinking it has to do with direct x or video drivers, yet
EVERYTHING is up to date and I tried to even dl the newest drivers from
Nvidia, but it told me no compatible devices found (even told me to dl them
from HP).

If I capture the vid via my xp machine, can I copy them over to this vista
box and use them in movie maker to make a dvd or something?

Probably not, but I figured I would ask.

> That's right. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Now I am trying it on a XP
> box. I will let you know how the XP box performs. (xp box with Windows
> Movie Maker 2.0).
>

> "Bill Condie" <billcondiespam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> What are you trying to capture? From a movie camera with the firewire, I
>> guess?
>>
>> Can you see the video with Play?
>>
>> "Blake Mengotto" <mengotto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have tried two different programs. The vid starts to capture, showing
>>>the
>>> preview, then everything stops (preview wise and capture wise).
>>>
>>> Video drivers? Bad fire wire?
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> My system is a HP laptop with a GeForce 8400M GS

Bill Condie

Re: Windows Movie Maker + Vista Ultimate
<<can I copy them over to this vista
> box and use them in movie maker to make a dvd or something

That would probably work. DVD Maker is OK.

Is the HP up to date with Windows upgrades/patches? I guess so.

You might want to look at the Nero8 demo, but it does seem to be an HP/Vista
problem.

A clean install of Vista might well be the answer.

> XP seems to be working with no issues.. So either the problem is with
> Movie Maker on my laptop or the stupid video card drivers/direct x.
>
> I have another video capture program on the latpop called muvee and it
> also crashes..so I am thinking it has to do with direct x or video
> drivers, yet EVERYTHING is up to date and I tried to even dl the newest
> drivers from Nvidia, but it told me no compatible devices found (even told
> me to dl them from HP).
>
> If I capture the vid via my xp machine, can I copy them over to this vista
> box and use them in movie maker to make a dvd or something?
>
> Probably not, but I figured I would ask.
>
> "Blake Mengotto" <mengotto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> That's right. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Now I am trying it on a XP
>> box. I will let you know how the XP box performs. (xp box with Windows
>> Movie Maker 2.0).
>>

>> "Bill Condie" <billcondiespam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> What are you trying to capture? From a movie camera with the firewire, I
>>> guess?
>>>
>>> Can you see the video with Play?

Blake Mengotto

Re: Windows Movie Maker + Vista Ultimate
I updated this new laptop from home prem to Vista ultimate. I am not
reinstalling to fix this issue. I suspect direct x since my vid drivers are
the latest. Who knows. I have a few free support cards for MSFT maybe I
should use those and put the premier lackeys too work. This is starting to
piss me off.

Thanks Bill,
Blake
> <<can I copy them over to this vista
>> box and use them in movie maker to make a dvd or something

> That would probably work. DVD Maker is OK.
>
> Is the HP up to date with Windows upgrades/patches? I guess so.
>
> You might want to look at the Nero8 demo, but it does seem to be an
> HP/Vista problem.
>
> A clean install of Vista might well be the answer.
>
> "Blake Mengotto" <mengotto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> XP seems to be working with no issues.. So either the problem is with
>> Movie Maker on my laptop or the stupid video card drivers/direct x.
>>
>> I have another video capture program on the latpop called muvee and it
>> also crashes..so I am thinking it has to do with direct x or video
>> drivers, yet EVERYTHING is up to date and I tried to even dl the newest
>> drivers from Nvidia, but it told me no compatible devices found (even
>> told me to dl them from HP).
>>
>> If I capture the vid via my xp machine, can I copy them over to this
>> vista box and use them in movie maker to make a dvd or something?
>>
>> Probably not, but I figured I would ask.
>>
>> "Blake Mengotto" <mengotto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> That's right. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Now I am trying it on a XP
>>> box. I will let you know how the XP box performs. (xp box with Windows
>>> Movie Maker 2.0).

Bill Condie

Re: Windows Movie Maker + Vista Ultimate
Good luck

"Blake Mengotto" <mengotto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
newsDDE7FCE-CE1C-4381-9BAE-9E42551FE426@microsoft.com...
>I updated this new laptop from home prem to Vista ultimate. I am not
>reinstalling to fix this issue. I suspect direct x since my vid drivers
>are the latest. Who knows. I have a few free support cards for MSFT maybe
>I should use those and put the premier lackeys too work. This is starting
>to piss me off.
>
> Thanks Bill,
> Blake
> "Bill Condie" <billcondiespam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> <<can I copy them over to this vista
>>> box and use them in movie maker to make a dvd or something

>> That would probably work. DVD Maker is OK.
>>
>> Is the HP up to date with Windows upgrades/patches? I guess so.
>>
>> You might want to look at the Nero8 demo, but it does seem to be an
>> HP/Vista problem.
>>
>> A clean install of Vista might well be the answer.
>>
>> "Blake Mengotto" <mengotto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> XP seems to be working with no issues.. So either the problem is with
>>> Movie Maker on my laptop or the stupid video card drivers/direct x.
>>>
>>> I have another video capture program on the latpop called muvee and it
>>> also crashes..so I am thinking it has to do with direct x or video
>>> drivers, yet EVERYTHING is up to date and I tried to even dl the newest
>>> drivers from Nvidia, but it told me no compatible devices found (even
>>> told me to dl them from HP).
>>>
>>> If I capture the vid via my xp machine, can I copy them over to this
>>> vista box and use them in movie maker to make a dvd or something?
>>>
>>> Probably not, but I figured I would ask.

Graham Hughes

Re: Windows Movie Maker + Vista Ultimate
"Blake Mengotto" <mengotto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>on the latpop

(even told me to dl them
> from HP).

Because with a laptop this is what you should do, always downlaod all
drivers from HP

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.myvideoproblems.com

Blake Mengotto

Re: Windows Movie Maker + Vista Ultimate
Which is what I did, despite having the most recent. I just reinstalled
them but no difference. Maybe SP1 will fix this issue. Is the beta of SP1
avail for public DL?

"Graham Hughes" <graham.hughes@dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Blake Mengotto" <mengotto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>on the latpop

> (even told me to dl them
>> from HP).
>>

> Because with a laptop this is what you should do, always downlaod all
> drivers from HP
>

> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com

Blake Mengotto

Re: Windows Movie Maker + Vista Ultimate
It is a bad fire wire port or driver. I will have to wait to hear from HP.

This laptop is brand new!! ARRRGH!