Music Library problem

Plopper

Music Library problem
Every time I restart my box (with Vista Media Center on it), it appears to me
when accessing my Music Libary, VMC is sort of reinitializing my complete
library. This results in the following:

1. the first time I select my Music Library after a reboot, it appears to be
empty.

2. after pressing the 'back button' and selecting my Music Library again, it
displays some albums, most of them still without artwork (that is loading),
but only a couple of dozens and not nearly all of them.

3. when pressing a letter on the remote (to jump to the first artist who's
name starts with that letter) the library becomes unresponsive for a very
long time (minute(s)?) and eventually jumps to that artist. Most of the time
it still is collecting artwork at that time...

4. after pressing 'back' and selecting my Music Library for the third time
it appears to have all artists and albums, but is still loading artwork. Just
like in the previous step, pressing a letter will make the Music Libary
unresponsive for quite some time.

5. when all is loaded, in many cases selecting an album to play, will not
play it (it will display the play screen, with the clock at 0:00). Only after
a couple of minutes it will start playing.

6. Navigating the library is VERY slow at this point and a real pain.

This happens every time my box is restarted (which I have to do regularly to
refresh my FloppyDTV-S sat tuner cards to work perfectly).

Yesterday it really pissed me of, so I tried some more extreme measures: I
killed the mplayer processes in my Task Manager. When switching back to Media
Center, Media Center gave me the error that it had lost its remote connection
to Media Player (which made sense of course), and needed to be restarted.
After Media Center was restarted, what do you know: the Music Library
appeared to work perfectly! I need to test this more to find out if this was
a just luck (maybe the Musci Library finally was loaded completely after 10
minutes?), or maybe killing the mplayer process and restarting VMC really
makes a difference.

My question to all of you: please help me out on this - I really need to
regularly restart the computer; How will my Music Library work correctly
immediately after starting it up?

--
Silverstone LC18-Asus P5W-DH-Core2Duo E6600+IBL 1210 cooler-2048MB-Plextor
PX-755A DVD-RW+PX-310 DVD-ROM-Samsung 500GB-2x FloppyDTV-S-GeForce 7950GT
LSHD

Re: Music Library problem
Hey - does your media reside on a local drive or a network share? Also, can
you provide more specific info on your library = type of files, size of
library, etc.? Also, what has your experience been with your library when
working with Windows Media Player, (not Windows Media Center...) Thanks...

"Plopper" <Plopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I restart my box (with Vista Media Center on it), it appears to
> me
> when accessing my Music Libary, VMC is sort of reinitializing my complete
> library. This results in the following:
>
> 1. the first time I select my Music Library after a reboot, it appears to
> be
> empty.
>
> 2. after pressing the 'back button' and selecting my Music Library again,
> it
> displays some albums, most of them still without artwork (that is
> but only a couple of dozens and not nearly all of them.
>
> 3. when pressing a letter on the remote (to jump to the first artist who's
> name starts with that letter) the library becomes unresponsive for a very
> long time (minute(s)?) and eventually jumps to that artist. Most of the
> time
> it still is collecting artwork at that time...
>
> 4. after pressing 'back' and selecting my Music Library for the third time
> it appears to have all artists and albums, but is still loading artwork.
> Just
> like in the previous step, pressing a letter will make the Music Libary
> unresponsive for quite some time.
>
> 5. when all is loaded, in many cases selecting an album to play, will not
> play it (it will display the play screen, with the clock at 0:00). Only
> after
> a couple of minutes it will start playing.
>
> 6. Navigating the library is VERY slow at this point and a real pain.
>
> This happens every time my box is restarted (which I have to do regularly
> refresh my FloppyDTV-S sat tuner cards to work perfectly).
>
> Yesterday it really pissed me of, so I tried some more extreme measures: I
> killed the mplayer processes in my Task Manager. When switching back to
> Media
> Center, Media Center gave me the error that it had lost its remote
> connection
> to Media Player (which made sense of course), and needed to be restarted.
> After Media Center was restarted, what do you know: the Music Library
> appeared to work perfectly! I need to test this more to find out if this
> was
> a just luck (maybe the Musci Library finally was loaded completely after
> 10
> minutes?), or maybe killing the mplayer process and restarting VMC really
> makes a difference.
>
> My question to all of you: please help me out on this - I really need to
> regularly restart the computer; How will my Music Library work correctly
> immediately after starting it up?
>
> --
> Silverstone LC18-Asus P5W-DH-Core2Duo E6600+IBL 1210 cooler-2048MB-Plextor
> PX-755A DVD-RW+PX-310 DVD-ROM-Samsung 500GB-2x FloppyDTV-S-GeForce 7950GT
> 512Mb passive-IBL Power 500W-SmartWi-Vista Ultimate

Plopper

Re: Music Library problem
Type of files: MP3s (192kbps)
Location: local HD (I want to move it to a NAS, but that is not yet the case)
Number of files: 96100 files in 1450 folders (96,2 GB)

When I use Media Player everything works great and fast. With Media Center
the problems begin...
--

"LSHD" wrote:

> [...]
> > After Media Center was restarted, what do you know: the Music Library
> > appeared to work perfectly! I need to test this more to find out if this
> > was
> > a just luck (maybe the Musci Library finally was loaded completely after
> > 10
> > minutes?), or maybe killing the mplayer process and restarting VMC really
> > makes a difference.
> >
> > My question to all of you: please help me out on this - I really need to
> > regularly restart the computer; How will my Music Library work correctly
> > immediately after starting it up?
> >
> > --
> > Silverstone LC18-Asus P5W-DH-Core2Duo E6600+IBL 1210 cooler-2048MB-Plextor
> > PX-755A DVD-RW+PX-310 DVD-ROM-Samsung 500GB-2x FloppyDTV-S-GeForce 7950GT
> > 512Mb passive-IBL Power 500W-SmartWi-Vista Ultimate

Both WMP & WMC can get feisty when dealing w/ a large library. There are a
number of potential variables, for more information you should search the
forums & wiki at thegreenbutton.com.

I have fixed the same situation on XP platform via a reinstall of WMP -
which isn't an option w/ Windows Vista, as far as I can tell. Have you
reviewed the watched folders in WMC? Try removing the folders from the
watch list, and then add the correct ones back. It will then rescan (you
might want to let the rescan occur overnight - and make certain that there
is no TV signal tuned - even in the background - while you are doing so.)
Also, have you tried deleting your WMP media database thereby forcing a
rebuild / reindex?