Windows Media Player 11 for Vista and AIM 6 Messager

Snowfire

Windows Media Player 11 for Vista and AIM 6 Messager
Hi, I like listening to my music on WMP, and chatting with my friends online,
one of them suggested that I get AIM to talk to some of my other friends. I
downloaded it, and it works fine, but WMP has stopped playing my music
completely. When ever I try to play something I get the following message:

Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you
might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy
settings might not be correct.

HELP?!?!?!?!?!?
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Player 11 for Vista and AIM 6 Messager

When you click on the Web Help button on that dialog, what URL does it take
you to?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Snowfire" <Snowfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I like listening to my music on WMP, and chatting with my friends
> online,
> one of them suggested that I get AIM to talk to some of my other friends.
> downloaded it, and it works fine, but WMP has stopped playing my music
> completely. When ever I try to play something I get the following message:
>
> Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you
> might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your
> proxy
> settings might not be correct.
>
> HELP?!?!?!?!?!?

redcrosse

Re: Windows Media Player 11 for Vista and AIM 6 Messager
I have the same problem. When I try to run a music or video file I get the
same message. Clicking "Web Help" takes me here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...nalid=80070005

The code for the error message is: C00D11D2. This page tells me that either
the file is in use or that I don't have permission to access a proxy server
or a location outside my computer, which is ridiculous because the file is
NOT being used and the file I'm trying to access is located on MY OWN hard
drive. Strangely enough, when I try to play a video file, the video works (it
runs behind the error message) but the sound doesn't.

So I tried running a sample video file that came with Vista and it gave me a
different error which led me here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...nalid=C00D36B4

The error code listed is: C00D11B1. The page basically tells me that there
is something wrong with my audio device, which is silly because other windows
sound effects (the pings and intro sounds and alerts and what not) work fine
(and just to be sure I checked my audio device in control panel and checked
for updates to the driver, but it was fully updated and said it was working
properly), or a problem with the ID3 tag on the mp3, which I tried removing
altogether, but it still didn't work.

It doesn't seem to be just a media file problem because my audio files don't
work on Winamp either. I installed the game Guildwars, Java, and AIM while I
had my winamp player on listening to music. After I installed these three
programs, I clicked stop on my winamp player, and since then, when I click
play, the mp3 simply does not play nor WMP play anything right. I tried
uninstalling Guildwars and Java, and after I saw this post, AIM as well, but
still no change. (Note that the sound didn't work in Guildwars either).

I'm out of ideas and very frustrated, especially since this computer is only
5 days old and already I'm having major problems. Please help.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> When you click on the Web Help button on that dialog, what URL does it take
> you to?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Snowfire" <Snowfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I like listening to my music on WMP, and chatting with my friends
> > online,
> > one of them suggested that I get AIM to talk to some of my other friends.
> > downloaded it, and it works fine, but WMP has stopped playing my music
> > completely. When ever I try to play something I get the following message:
> >
> > Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you
> > might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your
> > proxy
> > settings might not be correct.
> >
> > HELP?!?!?!?!?!?

redcrosse

Re: Windows Media Player 11 for Vista and AIM 6 Messager
I just googled my butt off and found the solution:

Go to start>Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound

A box should pop up saying that there is something interfering with your
sound and asks if you want to fix it. Click yes, and your done.

Everything works, no problems here.

"redcrosse" wrote:

> I have the same problem. When I try to run a music or video file I get the
> same message. Clicking "Web Help" takes me here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...nalid=80070005
>
> The code for the error message is: C00D11D2. This page tells me that either
> the file is in use or that I don't have permission to access a proxy server
> or a location outside my computer, which is ridiculous because the file is
> NOT being used and the file I'm trying to access is located on MY OWN hard
> drive. Strangely enough, when I try to play a video file, the video works (it
> runs behind the error message) but the sound doesn't.
>
> So I tried running a sample video file that came with Vista and it gave me a
> different error which led me here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...nalid=C00D36B4
>
> The error code listed is: C00D11B1. The page basically tells me that there
> is something wrong with my audio device, which is silly because other windows
> sound effects (the pings and intro sounds and alerts and what not) work fine
> (and just to be sure I checked my audio device in control panel and checked
> for updates to the driver, but it was fully updated and said it was working
> properly), or a problem with the ID3 tag on the mp3, which I tried removing
> altogether, but it still didn't work.
>
> It doesn't seem to be just a media file problem because my audio files don't
> work on Winamp either. I installed the game Guildwars, Java, and AIM while I
> had my winamp player on listening to music. After I installed these three
> programs, I clicked stop on my winamp player, and since then, when I click
> play, the mp3 simply does not play nor WMP play anything right. I tried
> uninstalling Guildwars and Java, and after I saw this post, AIM as well, but
> still no change. (Note that the sound didn't work in Guildwars either).
>
> I'm out of ideas and very frustrated, especially since this computer is only
> 5 days old and already I'm having major problems. Please help.
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

> > When you click on the Web Help button on that dialog, what URL does it take
> > you to?
> >
> > --
> > Speaking for myself only.
> > See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> > --
> >
> > "Snowfire" <Snowfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, I like listening to my music on WMP, and chatting with my friends
> > > online,
> > > one of them suggested that I get AIM to talk to some of my other friends.
> > > downloaded it, and it works fine, but WMP has stopped playing my music
> > > completely. When ever I try to play something I get the following message:
> > >
> > > Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you
> > > might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your
> > > proxy
> > > settings might not be correct.
> > >
> > > HELP?!?!?!?!?!?

Lorob

Re: Windows Media Player 11 for Vista and AIM 6 Messager

Hello:

I have the exact same issue. A new machine (10 days old) and Windows
Media Player no longer plays wmv files. Instead I receive error message
described in earlier posts. As with earlier posts, I am not accessing
any files over a network, but simply trying to play files saved on hard
drive. It will not even play sample files that come loaded on machine.

I have seen the fix described here, but when I go to "Sounds" in
Control Panel I simply see list of devices. I do not get any pop up box
or other dialogue prompting me to fix problem. Is there something else
I need to do?

I am very discouraged that a problem that has been reported for over a
year has not been intelligently addressed by MS with straightforward
(i.e. plain English) fix.

Thanks for anyone who is still paying attention.

|Filename: WMP Error.doc |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=5073 |

Lorob