5.1 Surround Sound

Tom

5.1 Surround Sound
Hi,

I have the Vista driver for my Audigy 2 sound card from Creative (I didn't
install the software as I don't need it). Yet when I play music through any
MP, it only plays 2.1 (stereo+subwoofer). Interestingly, I can go into the
sound properties to test the device, then when clicking on all of the
speaker icons, the sound works through all of them. Even if use the
properties to test it as a whole (sequencing the sound to all speakers
automatically as 5.1), all of the speakers put out the sound through that
test and is successful.

Anyone have a clue to why WMP or any other media type player will not play
5.1?

BigJim

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound

go into control panel, sound, on the playback tab lower left open configure
I don't know if this will work. I just use stereo

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
news5Cdnahm0uIB8XTYnZ2dnUVZ_uGjnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
> Hi,
>
> I have the Vista driver for my Audigy 2 sound card from Creative (I didn't
> install the software as I don't need it). Yet when I play music through
> any MP, it only plays 2.1 (stereo+subwoofer). Interestingly, I can go into
> the sound properties to test the device, then when clicking on all of the
> speaker icons, the sound works through all of them. Even if use the
> properties to test it as a whole (sequencing the sound to all speakers
> automatically as 5.1), all of the speakers put out the sound through that
> test and is successful.
>
> Anyone have a clue to why WMP or any other media type player will not play
> 5.1?

=?Utf-8?B?c2Vhbnk=?=

RE: 5.1 Surround Sound
Normal audio isn't normallly recorded in anything over 2.1...if you want a
sorta simluated 5.1 sound, select 'enhancements' tab in your audio
device/speaker settings, and select "speaker fill"....it works quite well, if
you're sitting fairly close to your speakers.
--
Above & Beyond

"Tom" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the Vista driver for my Audigy 2 sound card from Creative (I didn't
> install the software as I don't need it). Yet when I play music through any
> MP, it only plays 2.1 (stereo+subwoofer). Interestingly, I can go into the
> sound properties to test the device, then when clicking on all of the
> speaker icons, the sound works through all of them. Even if use the
> properties to test it as a whole (sequencing the sound to all speakers
> automatically as 5.1), all of the speakers put out the sound through that
> test and is successful.
>
> Anyone have a clue to why WMP or any other media type player will not play
> 5.1?

teradata

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
news5Cdnahm0uIB8XTYnZ2dnUVZ_uGjnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
> Hi,
>
> I have the Vista driver for my Audigy 2 sound card from Creative (I didn't
> install the software as I don't need it). Yet when I play music through
> any MP, it only plays 2.1 (stereo+subwoofer). Interestingly, I can go into
> the sound properties to test the device, then when clicking on all of the
> speaker icons, the sound works through all of them. Even if use the
> properties to test it as a whole (sequencing the sound to all speakers
> automatically as 5.1), all of the speakers put out the sound through that
> test and is successful.
>
> Anyone have a clue to why WMP or any other media type player will not play
> 5.1?

Are you sure the sound source is encoded for Dolby digital? Most music CDs
or mp3s are not. Try playing a movie DVD that has 5.1 sound recording.

Tom

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound
That enhancement isn't an available feature, thanks though.

"seany" <sealwh@gmail.com.nocrapplease.> wrote in message
> Normal audio isn't normallly recorded in anything over 2.1...if you want a
> sorta simluated 5.1 sound, select 'enhancements' tab in your audio
> device/speaker settings, and select "speaker fill"....it works quite well,
> if
> you're sitting fairly close to your speakers.
> --
> Above & Beyond
>

> "Tom" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the Vista driver for my Audigy 2 sound card from Creative (I
>> didn't
>> install the software as I don't need it). Yet when I play music through
>> any
>> MP, it only plays 2.1 (stereo+subwoofer). Interestingly, I can go into
>> the
>> sound properties to test the device, then when clicking on all of the
>> speaker icons, the sound works through all of them. Even if use the
>> properties to test it as a whole (sequencing the sound to all speakers
>> automatically as 5.1), all of the speakers put out the sound through that
>> test and is successful.
>>
>> Anyone have a clue to why WMP or any other media type player will not
>> play
>> 5.1?

Tom

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound

"teradata" <gezerglideREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> news5Cdnahm0uIB8XTYnZ2dnUVZ_uGjnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the Vista driver for my Audigy 2 sound card from Creative (I
>> didn't install the software as I don't need it). Yet when I play music
>> through any MP, it only plays 2.1 (stereo+subwoofer). Interestingly, I
>> can go into the sound properties to test the device, then when clicking
>> on all of the speaker icons, the sound works through all of them. Even if
>> use the properties to test it as a whole (sequencing the sound to all
>> speakers automatically as 5.1), all of the speakers put out the sound
>> through that test and is successful.
>>
>> Anyone have a clue to why WMP or any other media type player will not
>> play 5.1?

> Are you sure the sound source is encoded for Dolby digital? Most music CDs
> or mp3s are not. Try playing a movie DVD that has 5.1 sound recording.

Well, I see your point, but when I had XP on this PC with the same hardware,
it played through all speakers no matter the format. Most of my music is
stored on this PC and is data format (MP3, WMA, etc), and they all played
normally.

I did try playing the movie and as you suspected, it played through all of
the speakers in 5.1. but it is interesting that this no longer plays as was
in XP. Oh well, guess I have to live with it until future considerations. My
music still sounds great though, just to add..

Tom

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound
That enhancement isn't an available feature, thanks though.

"seany" <sealwh@gmail.com.nocrapplease.> wrote in message
> Normal audio isn't normallly recorded in anything over 2.1...if you want a
> sorta simluated 5.1 sound, select 'enhancements' tab in your audio
> device/speaker settings, and select "speaker fill"....it works quite well,
> if
> you're sitting fairly close to your speakers.
> --
> Above & Beyond
>

> "Tom" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the Vista driver for my Audigy 2 sound card from Creative (I
>> didn't
>> install the software as I don't need it). Yet when I play music through
>> any
>> MP, it only plays 2.1 (stereo+subwoofer). Interestingly, I can go into
>> the
>> sound properties to test the device, then when clicking on all of the
>> speaker icons, the sound works through all of them. Even if use the
>> properties to test it as a whole (sequencing the sound to all speakers
>> automatically as 5.1), all of the speakers put out the sound through that
>> test and is successful.
>>
>> Anyone have a clue to why WMP or any other media type player will not
>> play
>> 5.1?

=?Utf-8?B?c2Vhbnk=?=

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound
Are you sure "enhancements" isn't available to you? I thought it was part of
windows....right click on your speaker icon - select "playback
devices" - highlight your speakers in that window (there might be headphones
there, as well) - click on the "properties" button on the bottom right -
select the enhancements tab.
Above & Beyond

> "teradata" <gezerglideREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> news5Cdnahm0uIB8XTYnZ2dnUVZ_uGjnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have the Vista driver for my Audigy 2 sound card from Creative (I
>>> didn't install the software as I don't need it). Yet when I play music
>>> through any MP, it only plays 2.1 (stereo+subwoofer). Interestingly, I
>>> can go into the sound properties to test the device, then when clicking
>>> on all of the speaker icons, the sound works through all of them. Even
>>> if use the properties to test it as a whole (sequencing the sound to all
>>> speakers automatically as 5.1), all of the speakers put out the sound
>>> through that test and is successful.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a clue to why WMP or any other media type player will not
>>> play 5.1?

>> Are you sure the sound source is encoded for Dolby digital? Most music
>> CDs
>> or mp3s are not. Try playing a movie DVD that has 5.1 sound recording.
>>

> Well, I see your point, but when I had XP on this PC with the same
> hardware, it played through all speakers no matter the format. Most of my
> music is stored on this PC and is data format (MP3, WMA, etc), and they
> all played normally.
>
> I did try playing the movie and as you suspected, it played through all of
> the speakers in 5.1. but it is interesting that this no longer plays as
> was in XP. Oh well, guess I have to live with it until future
> considerations. My music still sounds great though, just to add..

Hey, you're good to go! Personally I would not want some kind of simulated
surround sound. Music or sounds played back in the way they were originally
recorded and meant to be is what I want. If you're at a concert sounds come
from the front. In movies you can have have sounds coming from all
directions. Do you want realism or fantasy? The choice is yours.

Tom

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound
Positive, and your direction is incorrect if going by actual Vista
functions. I can find enhancements, but not your way, After clicking the
properties button, I have to click the "Advanced" tab, then there is a box
at the bottom "Enable audio enhancements" which does nothing more than what
I already have achieved.

I am just going to assume that Vista is anal about true 5.1 usage and what
isn't 5.1. Could be that Creative's driver is not up to par also.